NGD (NewGraphicDay!) for my RG7421 Space Content!

• Thread starter splinter8451
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Aright people, after seeing Jym's thread with his epic Giger inspired graphic I had to contact Fourth Floor Graphics and see about getting a space skin. A few PM's and mockups later and my payment was sent :lol:

First of all I gotta say, Dave is a really cool dude to work with, he responds quickly and generates mockups for anything you throw at him. After payment, he printed and shipped out my graphic in 2 business days, the dude runs a tight operation.

So onto some shitty night time pics, apologies for the quality Ill be taking more tomorrow with natural light!

Here is the skin and the body it will be going on:

2e2e1e0.jpg

The skins are made of very nice material, I wasn't sure what to expect but this vinyl is top notch and goes on solid but is also easily movable if you fuck up :flame:

So here it is part way applied, I chose to keep everything wired up while I applied it so I followed Dave's instructions and cut a slit to pull my bridge pickup through, then just pulled the neck one into the neck pocket.

25a6osj.jpg

At this point I was stressing over cutting out the pickup cavities and I'd say it took me about 50 minutes just getting the cavities cut, and it is still a little rough but I'm fine with it :lol:

Here is the finished product in very shitty pics, I'll definitely take more pics tomorrow!! No strings cause it snowed all day today and I couldn't get to the music shop for new strings sadly :realmad:

8wi73p.jpg

o7rcyh.jpg

Be ready for better pics tomorrow! Probably! :yesway:

PS:

This is honestly some high quality vinyl and printing, if you have any doubts about Fourth Floor Graphics then don't! My graphic came out way better then I ever imagined, it looks better then any artist with an airbrush could of done. The detail is phenomenal. :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thefool

Reaction score
this is fucking awesommmmmmmmmmmmme. can't wait to get back to the apt tomorrow and check it out in real life.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
dude, that turned out SWEEEEEET! i was amazed the moment i pulled the graphic out of the tube! how did it go on? did you cut it out with scissors before hand or exacto after applied?

splinter8451

Reaction score
dude, that turned out SWEEEEEET! i was amazed the moment i pulled the graphic out of the tube! how did it go on? did you cut it out with scissors before hand or exacto after applied?

It went on fine, I think if I ever replace it I'll be able to put it on better next time though :lol: cause I made a few mistakes on this one.

Dave decided to go back to his old application method of just having you apply the whole graphic from the neck pocket back and then trimming it down, instead of using clear vinyl to trace with like you did.

So I stuck it all on, trimmed it down with scissors then used an exacto to do the fine trimming. And the edges are pretty rough for sure but it's no big deal. You can actual see where I have some of it hanging down to the sides in the last picture cause I wasn't exact enough with the exacto :lol: I may fix that eventually but I'm happy with it right now.

linksys24

Guitar skin maker
Reaction score
It went on fine, I think if I ever replace it I'll be able to put it on better next time though :lol: cause I made a few mistakes on this one.

Dave decided to go back to his old application method of just having you apply the whole graphic from the neck pocket back and then trimming it down, instead of using clear vinyl to trace with like you did.

So I stuck it all on, trimmed it down with scissors then used an exacto to do the fine trimming. And the edges are pretty rough for sure but it's no big deal. You can actual see where I have some of it hanging down to the sides in the last picture cause I wasn't exact enough with the exacto :lol: I may fix that eventually but I'm happy with it right now.

If you want to doctor up your edges, take a scrap piece of backing and cut it into like a 2x3 rectangle with a rounded top and you can lift up the jagged parts, place the backing under it and trim it smooth with X-acto. Basically using the piece of backing as a makeshift cutting board so you're not trimming on your guitar body. I usually get some jagged spots around the horns or sharp corners and this is how I smooth them out.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :D

Better pics will come once I can get some new strings, hopefully that will be tomorrow.

I was gonna go get some today but... the only music store close to me that carries 7 string packs is closed on Sundays FTL :flame:

butch

Reaction score
Also the old "pinstripe" binding trick neatens up any rough edges.

Cheers,
Butch

splinter8451

Reaction score
Ah that is a good idea. Not sure if I'd wanna get white but I may get black. Thanks for the idearrr!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You've got me thinking about doing something similar to my 7420, now. I'm a sucker for this image:

Earth-and-Sun-1920%20x%201080%201.jpg

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
What was the total damage, if you don't mind me asking?

OH! And thanks for the sig quote. :D

splinter8451

Reaction score
Finally got some more pics! They are not too great but it is the best I could do quickly this Christmas Eve :lol:

10zo4kp.jpg

33xjz2b.jpg

I was trying to get an awesome lense flare that was happening in this pic, but, my digital camera does not capture lense flares :( FTL

dwco0j.jpg

this one does the best job of showing the quality of the skin. But, it still looks way better in person :D

')