NGD, no one can look bad with an explorer. Especially an MX

Version_6

Capa Banger
Reaction score
Growing up one of the first albums I owned myself was Master of Puppets and I listened to it repeatedly, learning the whole album back to front. I never bothered with the leads as I always preferred rhythm playing and singing. So naturally as I got more and more into Metalica I gravitated toward Explorers, namely the ESP MX models.

I always dreamed about owning a set neck MX250. Every time one came up for sale at a reasonable price I've not been able to buy it. So this popped up in Japan and I had to jump on it.

It's an LTD MX130. One of the few LTD models made in Japan. These were ¥130,000 new in 1995 and have the classic mahogany body and neck combo, however the board appears to be rosewood. Originally it came with a pair of EMG 81s but the previous owner put PRS HFS/Vintage Bass pickups. So out those came, and in went an 81 in the bridge and a 60A in the neck, as it should be.

The hardware stock is all Gotoh so no fooling around with upgrading. The earliest models have no serial number and this one is no different. Doesn't even have the (R) on the logo. Plus no stupid god damned block inlay at the 12th fret. Just good old dot inlays all along.

I can't stop playing the damn thing. It fits like a glove, the neck is brilliant and the relative shallow nature of the waist of the body places the strings closer to my leg which suits my playing just right. Having this just makes my planning for my Japanese trip in May to buy a brand new MX250 even more justified.

Slinging this thing on you just can't look bad. An explorer turns you from a little wimp, or fat roll of lard into a mysterious riff God who women want and men want to be (and probably want also). You feel as though you could change the rotation of the earth with one single power chord.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Genocyber

Reaction score
Congrats! That looks pretty sweet! Japan was the most nuts place I've every been to. Ochanomizu had more guitar shops in the one street then I had even thought possible. ESP custom shop was something to behold o_O

Version_6

Capa Banger
Reaction score
Congrats! That looks pretty sweet! Japan was the most nuts place I've every been to. Ochanomizu had more guitar shops in the one street then I had even thought possible. ESP custom shop was something to behold o_O

Yup I've been planning a two day guitar buying itinerary for Ochanomizu. I got $10,000 to play with so I'm gonna make the best of it.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I've told my self that I absolutely will own an MX-II one of these days, or an elusive MX-220. If this whole powerball thing plays out, i'll get a few of each.

carvinx

Reaction score
Wow, a MIJ ltd, and an Explorer at that nice. Neat headstock, and inlays too. I want one haha.

Version_6

Capa Banger
Reaction score
Cheers gents. This thing is just too awesome to put down. I love the fact it doesn't have extra jumbo frets but instead some more sensible medium-medium jumbo frets.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of this guitar. MIJ is a huge plus! These must be pretty rare because my searches online came up empty. Congrats, and HNGD!

Version_6

Capa Banger
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of this guitar. MIJ is a huge plus! These must be pretty rare because my searches online came up empty. Congrats, and HNGD!

Yup, Japanese market only. Only made for a short while before they were discontinued. Plus as is always the case, there's minimal records of all models sold in Japan from ESP.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Beauty of a NGD!
The ESP MX/EXP is arguably one of the reasons I picked up a guitar in the first place and ironically one I've never owned.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
OP clearly hasn't seen me with my old Kelly :lol:

For serious though, that's a sexy guitar. Especially considering it's all black, which usually is not my thing!

Version_6

Capa Banger
Reaction score
OP clearly hasn't seen me with my old Kelly :lol:

For serious though, that's a sexy guitar. Especially considering it's all black, which usually is not my thing!

Yeah, but a Kelly needs a particular attitude to pull it off, just like most pointy shapes.

I've been considering a Kelly recently due to some I found in Japan searching for stock in Japan.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Plus no stupid god damned block inlay at the 12th fret.

I literally LOL'd. Nice score man you obviously knew exactly what you wanted. Fellow explorer fan here too for all the same reasons you posted, plus comfort (or did you mention that too).

')