NGD/NPD Agile Pendulum 82527/Lace Alumitone

• Thread starter 5mjacbyr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i had not bought alumnitones for my 8 because while the dimensions of the 5 string bass pup i think would fit in a passive route, i read online about the magnetic field and it didnt sound like it would cover the entire area.

TS i havent listened to your sound clip yet but does the pup pick up all of the strings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

srrdude

White Space Jesus
Reaction score
Sure sure, can you give me an example? I'm not sure I know what grindy sounds like. :) thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate the kind words. :) sorry to see the armada that you're selling your guitar. I can definitely vouch for the guitar, it really is awesome. :)

You sir are a champion and a scholar. I'm thinkin like...nile tightness. I always describe their sound as kind of a grinding noise. Very tight with focused upper mids. Its almost as if someone took a disc grinder to a metal flag pole.

Lol but maybe thats just me!

*i should mention, im interested in hearing how tight its palm muting is, i would love to hear a riff with a palm muted pedal to hear the difference.

I've been talking to harry haussel about getting some 8-string slanted pickups made and i recently submitted a final design to him, but with how cheap these are and how impressed i am so far by their clarity, I may have to get a set of both and see how they stack up to a $XXX (a lot) dollar set of customs.

5mjacbyr

Reaction score
You sir are a champion and a scholar. I'm thinkin like...nile tightness. I always describe their sound as kind of a grinding noise. Very tight with focused upper mids. Its almost as if someone took a disc grinder to a metal flag pole.

Lol but maybe thats just me!

haha! That sounds cool, i'll do my best ;) Any pickup that can sound like a "disc grinder to a metal flag pole" wins in my book. :)

@SYLrules88: The nice thing about the pendulum is that its actually routed for a 9 string so the magnetic field is actually much wider than it needs to be because of the angle. But yeah, the response is pleasantly even over the strings. I'll put that in a recording for you. As for a nonfanned 8 I really couldn't say, obviously you'd have to use the 5 string bass bar, which means maybe it won't pickup the strings, or you'd need to route wide enough for the 6 string bass bar.

For anyone looking at using these pups, when you actually mount it in your guitar the top part of the pup mushrooms out a bit, so according to this: http://www.lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/BB_specs.pdf
you only need to route enough space for the C measurement, not the A. (if I remember correctly, but I'm pretty sure.)

Red Beard

Reaction score
i had not bought alumnitones for my 8 because while the dimensions of the 5 string bass pup i think would fit in a passive route, i read online about the magnetic field and it didnt sound like it would cover the entire area.

TS i havent listened to your sound clip yet but does the pup pick up all of the strings?

I would not be worried about the 4" version sensing the strings on a single scale eight string guitar. When I talked to Lace recently they confirmed my suspicion that the Tone Bar and Bass Bar pickups have the same specs, but the magnetic field is wider on the Tone Bar as they are used for steel guitars. The 4" Tone Bar pickups 10 string on a steel, so if you are worried I would go that route.

proto

Reaction score
which alumitone will fit my an 828?
i'm looking at replacing my cepheus with either alumitones or waiting for the 8 string dimarzio deactivators to come out. -- going for some warm jazz/clean tones

5mjacbyr

Reaction score
Just measure your pickup cavity and compare to these dimensions:
http://www.lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/BB_specs.pdf

As far as I know the Bass Bar is the only lace pickup that will fit the 828. But be careful because apparently the 5 string model might not cover all the string properly, and so you might need to route wider for the 6 string version of the bass bar. (Those are 5 string bass and 6 string bass pickups)

but measure first and take it from there. :)

capone1

ss.org-erererererer
Reaction score
Talk about a complete epic win, he orders bass pups internationally and ends up with awesome.

Badass clips man.

I'm so interested to hear more. Any alternatives to the pups we access to now is HUGE.

I salute you sir.

5mjacbyr

Reaction score
Thanks so much Capone1! very kind words. :D Yeah I am super happy with the pickup!
I've been so busy lately with lame stuff that I haven't had the chance
to record or post anything, so my apologies to those I promised clips to.

But I may have some free time soon. :) I was interested in the 6 string bass q tuner
So I would really like to check that out, or alternatively the emg 45hz may be quite cool!

Thanks again for the awesome words. And I will do my absolute best to post a few more
clips within the next few days. :)

but yeah, anyone out there willing to try the q tuner earns some mega awesome points from me. :)

mgcasella

Reaction score
Rep added - THANK YOU! :metal:

What value pots did you use for the Lace?

I believe the site says to use 250K ones but I've wondered if experimenting with pot values changes the tone (for better or worse) as I always use 1 meg pots with my pups.

So... tell us about what you decided to do inside the guitar - thanks! :hbang:

5mjacbyr

Reaction score
OK! so finally I had some free time. Here ya go!
SoundClick artist: Invitation To The Dance - Jazz, metal,technical

I apologise for any sloppyness in my playing. Half way through the grind section I changed tone to try and illustrate the 'grindyness' for srrdude. :)

There is some low clean playing at the end for Red Beard and there is also a little ditty right at the end to illustrate the response across all string for SYLrules88.

There is no post processing on any of the channels, all the tones are dual tones through Pod Farm 2.

@mgcasella: I originally planned to put in a 250k pot as suggested, because I was expecting the pickup to be brighter than it is. Unfortunately I realised too late I don't actually have a 250k pot, so I settled on a 500k pot. I have a 1meg which i'm keen to try, but I'm happy with the "brightness" as it is now. so I will probably stick with 500k. I also want to get a push/pull pot to try get some coil splitting action, but I'm not sure if the pup can be split? it has 3 wires, so I'm not sure, but some fiddling will answer my questions. Finally because my pendulum is only routed for one knob I will probably stick to just a volume knob, otherwise mabye a pull for tone knob, or a trim pot in the body for tone and shifting the vol knob to 1M. That way I could use the trim pot to dial back any excessive highs. There is a claim on the Lace website that if run through a full response system one can actually achieve near acoustic/piezo tones. so if I can get that with a push/pull knob or something, it would be sweet! But again, fiddling with these things will answer all nagging thoughts. :)

Everything I mentioned above is here:
Guitar Wiring FAQs
"The rule is: Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound."

Thanks so much for all the enthusiasm, kind words and questions. Please feel free to ask me anything and/or request clips or what have you.

Thanks again everyone. :D

capone1

ss.org-erererererer
Reaction score
The new clips sound really good(don't be so hard on yourself red light syndrome hits all of us)

How about something in the higher registor to show off the lead sound. maybe clean chords and a ripping solo? just to hear the difference.

NO PRESSURE BY THE WAY;-)

srrdude

White Space Jesus
Reaction score
My response to this thread:

img0952lt.jpg

5mjacbyr

Reaction score
Thanks guys! :) srrdude I cant see your pic :( but I'm registering at imageshack now so I'll hopefully be able to see it soon. :)

@capone1: I'll put together a recording for you. :) No problem. I'm not a very good lead player but I'll do my best :)

Thanks again for the enthusiasm guys. Totally loving this guitar and pickup, I just miss a neck pup :( and I'm too scared to route the guitar, or even have the guitar routed. I love it too much.

What do you guys think of having a straight neck pup rather than an angled one?
I'm too curious about q tuners, they're apparently too harsh for bridge position. And the piggy bank is telling me no! double :(

Thank you all again! any other requests?

srrdude

White Space Jesus
Reaction score
Chyea bro. 212 is much easier to swallow than the 700 i was gonna shell out for customs, so well try em out. Ill keep you posted on the build as it progresses.

alex103188

Reaction score
So I have this exact guitar but with dual humbuckers.. I read on the website that the lace alumitones are designed for passive installation but work with "pre existing preamp technology". Does that mean to imply that they can be direct replacements for the cepheus active 9's and basically work like active pickups? I do love me some passives, but the idea of the alumitones just enhancing what was already there sounds amazing!

')