NGD & NPD!! (Cheap RG + GT LB63 = Win!)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
So for the few of you who may be familiar with some of my other threads, I had bought a Graph Tech LB63 and Hexpander preamp kit to install in a Jackson RR that I stripped and tung oiled. What I wasn't thinking at the time of purchase was "Is there enough room in this guitar to route for the necessary electronics?"

Unfortunately, there wasn't. So, I've been trying to figure out what to do.

On Saturday, I couldn't stand it any more. I made a trip to the Guitar Center in Arlington/Falls Church/7 Corners, and it was a complete fail. I consistently forget how completely that location FAILS. SO, back in the car, and down the road to Guitar Center in Fairfax. Point of order here: The guys at the Fairfax Guitar Center treat me like a KING, and I have to give them the appropriate props. They ALWAYS take good care of me there. Talk to Jason on the guitar side (or the bald-headed guy who's name I didn't catch -- he's an Ibby nut, which is good.) or Peter on the pro audio side. I know GC is supposed to have a 'no haggle' policy these days, but those guys NEVER let me pay full price. :yesway:

Anyway, I found myself on my way home not too long after that, and.... Wait a minute... What's THIS in the back seat of my car??

MonMar08093818AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Why, it's a brand new Ibanez RG350! How about that!

MonMar08093829AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Gosh, she sure is purty!

MonMar08093841AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Why, even TEH NINJA KITTEH approves!! :metal:

MonMar08093845AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Well, enough of that nonsense. Time to take this bitch apart!!

MonMar08093855AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

YOINK!

MonMar08093900AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

and YOINK again!

MonMar08093904AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Whew! That was fun! Now then, it's time to test fit the LB63...

Uh oh.. HUSTUN, WE HAZ PROBLUM:

MonMar08093909AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Never fear! Good thing I got a Dremel tool for Christmas! Let's just shave off a little of that square corner of the trem... and...

LIKE A GLOVE!! :metal:

MonMar08093913AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

MonMar08093916AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Now that's settled.. To plot for the electronics and output. I spent half the day agonizing over this, and I didn't take any pics during the mock ups or some of the resulting mods. I couldn't decide if I wanted to run the analog output and MIDI output individually, or if I wanted to use GT's PIN-7 harness to route the analog output directly through the MIDI output.

Eventually, I chose the latter, and decided it would directly replace the existing output jack, rather than trying to have it sticking out of the pickguard.

For this part of the process, I followed the examples set by Shotgunn in his RG-2228 thread.

Here's the 'almost there' shot of the output route:

MonMar08093919AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

That's some scary shit, let me tell you. When you've *never* taken a router to a guitar before, and let the first time be on a guitar you just bought that day.. Yikes. ;)

Now I just needed to drill a big enough hole for the interface harness to get from the output to the under-pickguard cavity... SUCCESS!!

MonMar08093921AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

I forgot to take pictures, but at this point I'd already test fitted and drilled the pickguard for the 2 extra switches, so we're ALMOST done. The one thing I overlooked is that in order to run the analog outs through the MIDI out, I need to use a 250K ohm pot. According to the GT instructions, a 500K ohm pot won't work. Once I have the pot, I can finish the wiring and test this puppy out!

In the meantime, I thought this was a good time to set up a date with my old flame Copper Tape:

MonMar08093925AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Finally, here she is back together to make sure everything fits:
MonMar08093933AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

I also forgot to take a picture of the MIDI output installed, but I'll try to get that up ASAP.

I'm really excited. I **CAN'T WAIT** to try this MIDI tremolo!!! :hbang:

In a couple of months, I'll have the money together to replace all the pickups, and then it'll be more than just a MIDI guitar. :)

Thanks for looking! I'll be posting updates as I finish up the project, and maybe even a video of the MIDI in action! Stay tuned!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody!

To expand on just a couple of things:

1. About Guitar Center in Fairfax: Without my asking, they took 10% off the sticker right off the bat, since they didn't have the guitar new in box -- only the one on the wall. Upon seeing me inspecting it rather closely, the previously mentioned bald-headed Ibby loving employee offered (without my asking) to clean it up for me before I made a decision. He did it on the spot. Adjusted the trem (knowing damn well I was swapping it out as soon as I got it home, anyway), set the action, wiped the whole baby down, made sure I had the 'new in box' setup kit with new whammy, allens, etc etc. All I had to do was show up. They even tossed in the Dimarzio clip-lock strap, a set of elixers and a pack of picks at no charge. I hate contributing to big chains as much as the next guy, and MOST Guitar Centers I've been to are SHIT, but the staff at Fairfax is really, really helpful to me. :yesway:

2. As previously mentioned, some other upgrades are forthcoming once my wallet recovers from this bruising. ;) I'm certainly replacing the pickups, and I think I'll be having a pickguard made as well, just to help further set this baby apart from the bajillion other white RG350s out there.. What I have not yet decided is whether or not I'm going to keep the middle single coil, as it's highly unlikely that I'll *ever* use it. What's most likely is that I'll order the pickguard to only be routed for the 2 humbuckers. Opinions?

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Here's the output jack installed. You'll notice that as a result of my noobness, the paint chipped a little under the plate in the lower left corner. Can't win em all I guess.

MonMar08142728AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like nice work :yesway: I would have probably left a normal output jack as well though :2c: Then again if you're planning on using it exclusively with your midi setup I guess it doesn't matter since the 13 pin cable has an analog signal out as well :shrug:

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
really good job!!! the tremolo route looks... asymmetrical, I never see a 350 dissemble. but I have play one and love it!! cool work, now...better pics and a video!!!!!!!!!!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
So, I was working on this until pretty late last night..

Well, for starters, it actually worked (mostly), and I was REALLY excited about that! Go me! Yay! First impression: Tracks WAY better than the Roland GK-3 does. Like, the Roland is a toy in comparison.

3 (well.. 3 and a half..) small problems:

1. The saddle for the D string doesn't seem to be sending any MIDI data. *sigh* I took the strings off, removed the pickguard and checked the connections to the Hexpander preamp. It looked fine, but I gave everything a gentle push just to make sure. At that point, it was almost midnight, and I still hadn't been home to feed my cat, so it was time to call it a night. Today I'm gonna re-string it and see what happens.

2. The 3-way Quickswitch that's supposed to go 'magnetic/midi/both' isn't doing anything at all. I might as well not have installed it. That's a bummer, too. The momentary switch seems to be sending data, so at least that's working.

3. The brass block of the tremolo seems to be larger (or 'longer') than that of the Edge-III. So large that it actually sticks out a little bit past the cavity if I pull up on the bar.. ?? Not a huge deal (I just won't use the trem-cavity cover), but definitely unexpected. It's not like this guitar is abnormally thin..

As for the 'half' problem; I forgot how much I hate setting up a Floyd Rose from scratch. It's been a while. Changing one string at a time is one thing, starting with no strings is another. ;)

Will update again after this evening's work.

Keytarist

Reaction score
I didn't know about this bridge, seems pretty good. I have a Rg with a Lo Trs so I want to replace it and this would be a good bridge to drop in. Do you know the radius of this bridge?, I can't get this info on the Graph Tech site. I want the LB63 bridge with normal saddles.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I didn't know about this bridge, seems pretty good. I have a Rg with a Lo Trs so I want to replace it and this would be a good bridge to drop in. Do you know the radius of this bridge?, I can't get this info on the Graph Tech site. I want the LB63 bridge with normal saddles.

I have access to all the same information you do, unfortunately. I haven't checked it with a radius gauge yet, so I'm not sure what the radius of it is. I'll try to remember to check and let you know.

That said, I don't really see the point if you don't want the MIDI or piezo capabilities. Especially considering that it's not quite a drop-in replacement. If you're not okay with taking a router to your guitar or to the trem itself, I'd suggest looking for something else.

Ricky_Gallows

lyketotallybrashdude
Reaction score
Here's the output jack installed. You'll notice that as a result of my noobness, the paint chipped a little under the plate in the lower left corner. Can't win em all I guess.

MonMar08142728AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

wow this is an awesome project.

good job dude

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
small update: during my lunch break I put strings back on her and plugged her in to test that faulty D string, and IT WORKED! Success!

I'm not terribly fussed about the 3-way switch in the immediate interim. For now, having solved the D string issue, I think I just need to finish setting it up and it's good to go until it's time to upgrade the pickups, and at that point I'll start fussing about the quickswitch.

Still no idea what caused last night's issue with the D string's MIDI output. I checked and it seemed fine, put it back together and it worked, so whatever very gentle love I gave it when I checked must have made the difference. Go figure. As I was messing with it last night, I remembered to take a picture of some of the guts, when I was somewhere just past the sixth gate of Wiring HELL:

MonMar08142448AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Also snapped a shot to demonstrate how I was able to make sense of things as I went: I put a little piece of tape on each of the lead wires coming from the bridge saddles and marked each one with the letter for whatever string it was. Turned a nightmare into a no-brainer. :yesway:

MonMar08194925AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

I'll figure it out with my books and online resources eventually, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has a quick suggestion as to why I can only get the tremolo to cooperate when I'm using 2 springs, but I just *can't* seem to get it to even think about balancing when I try to use 3? It seems too drastic to be solved by a spring screw adjustment.. I'm just really weirded out at the idea of only using 2 springs, but I have very, VERY little experience doing set ups on guitars with floating trems so I'm a little lost at the present.

Keytarist

Reaction score
I didn't notice that there was an acoustic piezo option :lol:. So I would get the same ghost pickup bridge with the Acousti-Phonic set.
By the way, which synth are you using to get the sounds?.

')