NGD: OAF Black Friday 8-String

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
001.jpg

(more pics are in second post lots of words ahead so feel free to skip)

I wanted to be the first doing an NGD, but things came up and it’s been delayed until now.

Back in November I was in talks with Tom about getting the (then-titled) Lace Aluma-Djent pickups for my Agile 8-string, and he mentioned he was going to do an 8-string Black Friday run. I was on the fence about grabbing another custom 8 since I’m still waiting for a Rico Jr. BFR, but the more I researched the more I wanted one. While talking to Tom I discovered he’s located in Oakland, ME, almost right next to one of my family’s orchards, and he’d been there a bunch with his kids. It was mind-blowing to have this connection to an amazing luthier so I jumped in to support a local business.
Thanks to the location I was able to visit over Christmas and meet the man behind the guitars. Tom was kind enough to chat a bunch, and let me pick out the pieces of rosewood for my neck and fretboard.

Seeing the pieces of wood I picked out get carved and glued was nothing short of amazing. Tom plowed through the process, while making sure each instrument got the attention to detail it needed. I can’t speak highly enough of how involved he gets the clients; the massive amount of pictures, descriptions, and explanations kept the wait from feeling like a slog.

Anyway, onto the guitar!

Specs:
• 8 String Singlecut Style
• 27” Scale
• 1-Piece Indian Rosewood Neck (Unfinished)
• Indian Rosewood Fretboard with 16” Radius, 24 (Extra?)Jumbo Frets and Zero Fret
• 2 Abalone Dots @ 12th Fret
• Luminlay Glowing Side Dots
• Ash Body with Belly Cut, Arm Contour and Deep Cutaway
• Flamed Maple Cap + Headstock Overlay
• Hipshot Bridge + Open Gear Tuners
• Custom Rosewood Knobs (To Match Neck & Fretboard)
• Lace X-Bar 4.0 Pickups
• 3-Way Toggle Switch, 1vol, 1tone
• Dunlop Recessed Straplocks
• Ocean Blue 2-Step Satin Finish

-

This instrument is great; the components seem to come together and make a very comfortable guitar. The unfinished rosewood neck feels smoother than silk, with a rockin’ asymmetrical profile. It’s somewhere about 19-20mm at 1st, 21-23mm at 12th, and totally lacking the fatiguing “shoulders” that my Agile 8-string has. The neck width at the nut is 2¼“ and ~2.71”(about 23/32) at 12th. Fret access is decent for a singlecut, I can reach 24th on the plain strings no problem but it starts to get cramped going down. It’s just about where I expected it to be; I don’t solo much, and when I do it’s bluesy so I don’t need space for shredding.

The shape of the guitar is reminiscent of Teles, while being something else entirely upon use. The curve at the bottom means the guitar fits better using classical position, a boon when I feel like playing properly. I wasn’t sure about the arm contour at first – it’s a bit jarring seeing the body wood on top. Matching the top color nixed my aesthetic concern, and it’s so damn comfortable. The guitar is balanced nicely, though a hair neck heavy thanks to the lightweight ash body. Non-recessed straplocks would probably balance it a hair more they’d also look worse, and push the guitar away from my body.

In terms of acoustic resonance, the OAF is brighter and slightly louder than the Pendulum 82527 and waaay more resonant than the PRS Mushok SE. It doesn’t quite have the acoustic sustain of the AL-627, but that’s a 10.2lbs hunk of solid mahogany. Plugged in it seems to have a smooth low end, not as boomy as the Pendulum (also with an X-Bar) with less low-mids and a bump around 1500Hz. It has a slight tonal similarity to a Strat/Tele hybrid, which becomes very apparent when going through a cranked DSL100 or Mesa F30. Running through the Axe-FX has been interesting; my patches using a sludgy Rockerverb tone sound quite different than the Pendulum. The two guitars definitely complement each other and I’ll be doing some joint tracks to show this off.

The only area where I have some issues is the pickups. The X-Bars sound great, don’t get me wrong. But for some reason these have a bit lower output than my production X-Bar. It puts them at a lower output than the “classic” style pickups in my Agile AL-627 (my lowest output guitar), which is the total opposite of my experience with Lace so far.
Besides the output level, trying to play the guitar through an amp brought forth this awful hum. I know there’s a lot of interference in my studio so sometimes instruments will buzz like crazy, but this was something else. I tried troubleshooting it with no luck so I took it to Tom when I visited Maine. He went all out, shielding the cavity and using multi-core shielded wire (Thanks Tom!). While he was doing this I noticed the leads coming out of the X-Bars were exposed, they didn’t have the thick shielding my production X-Bar has. I’m not 100% sure it’s the cause, but with the amount of interference in my studio I wouldn’t be surprised that the leads are acting like antennas.
Tom’s work has helped a bunch, and while it’s still a minor issue I can work around it now. It shows his dedication to customer service that he’s taking the time to help me fix a problem that’s in no small part thanks to the crappy wiring in my studio.

That issue aside, the wiring/electronics is great. Stock it was very clean, with everything was soldered nice and tight. It’s even better now :). The Tele-style controls took a little getting used to, but a few minutes got me accustomed to the “sideways” 3-way. Custom knobs are an excellent addition and look beautiful to boot.

I’m still in the process of nailing down my preferred action; a lack of time has forced smaller changes more spaced out. Right now I have it close to my ideal of 1.2mm bass, 1.0mm treble. By this time next week it should be there.

Would I recommend Oakland Axe Factory? Hell yeah! While this specific model isn’t a shredder’s wet dream, it handles the sludgy, doomy music I play with aplomb. I’m sure Tom can pull off whatever a player could need anyway. I’ll definitely be working with him again does a double-cut, multiscale, semi-hollow, bubinga-bodied(and boarded), bamboo-necked eight string sound good?

*A soundclip or two will be coming within the week. It doesn't sound different enough from the other X-Bar equipped guitar to go crazy with tons of new songs*

Photobucket Collection: http://photobucket.com/RapHatOAFBFR2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Wow I love the aesthetics of this bad boy great job designing. Love the photos too.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
Looks great man. Nice to see a NGD with some natural lighting. I think It really speaks to Tom's work that from three NGD posts thus far, the only concerns from any of the customers have been with the their Lace pickups...

I could seriously find nothing wrong with mine, and even the Lace pickups have settled in with some patch tweaking.

Happy Belated NGD!

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
I really dig that neck & fretboard, the whole damn guitar. Congrats Man.

Rap Hat

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Tom does such amazing work, it's been great to see the exposure this BFR run has brought. We hung out for a few hours this past Saturday, shooting the shit and playing around with his instrument collection (note to self: I need a Carvin after playing his!) He really understands how to connect with us gear whores, noodlers and purveyors of the unique.

A few things I forgot to mention: Hipshot tuners=pure sex. The belly cut can support quite a big belly; guess I can get fat after all! Luminlays are a must-have now. I feel like I need sex therapy with all the oiling up this guitar takes.
That is all.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Awesome. Great color, too. And I'm impressed with your photography!

Rap Hat

Reaction score
A few more pics for the late-night crowd (apologies in advance if there's too much green for your LCD/oLED/CRT-fatigued eyes):
015.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Please please please take more pictures in the foreseeable future :wub:

hngd!

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I was hoping to do my NGD however since I'm off on holiday today it will have to wait. :lol:

Beautiful guitar mate, I am really happy with mine, same woods but I went with the DA8s which are fucking amazing! The neck profile is pretty unique but suits the 8 string great!

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Damn, I used to think that the only lacking thing on OAFs was aesthetics. This changes everything.

HNGD dude!

Latest posts

')