NGD: OAF Bubinga 10 String

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and fan! :lol:

Do the EMG bass pickups give a good midrange response and "guitar tone" for the upper strings when plugged into an amp?

Also, do the pole pieces of the pickups align perfectly with each of the 10 strings or do they just pick up all the strings well as a whole?

As far as I know, EMG's have rail magnets, which means that they pick up the signal all across the pickup, as opposed to pole pieces, where the signal is strongest on top of the poles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I agree with the rail magnets, I doubt it's poles because of the whole high A being quieter than the rest on the bridge.
And yes you definitely get a guitar tone over a bass tone on the upper strings.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i wish i had a reason to get a 10 string because the OAF axes ive seen on here have looked beyond amazing and the buyers have said nothing but great things about working with Tom. that bulbinga is looking great man!

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
Working with Tom definitely was a pleasure. He's very knowledgeable about what it is he's doing, and has great input on the build in addition to the buyer's specs. And clearly from the instruments we've seen already, he does amazing work in a very short time (for a full custom). All for a great, affordable price.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
That is one gorgeous piece of wood, major guitargasm. One question though: did you consider having separate outputs to separate bass and guitar dynamic ranges? Also, did you ever considering also putting a piezo in it?

I ask because those options seem to be pretty common in most ERGs I've seen.

In any case, you've got yourself a beautiful guitar, congrats :yesway:

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
That is one gorgeous piece of wood, major guitargasm. One question though: did you consider having separate outputs to separate bass and guitar dynamic ranges? Also, did you ever considering also putting a piezo in it?

I ask because those options seem to be pretty common in most ERGs I've seen.

In any case, you've got yourself a beautiful guitar, congrats :yesway:

We did consider splitting the outputs into bass and guitar but I think I nixed solely for the purpose of ease on my end.

As for piezos, I kind of strayed away from there for my wallet's sake :lol:

Thanks!

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
So. freaking. awesome.

Congrats friend! :agreed:

EDIT - The clip sounds great :). Very full and rich, and you were totally right about the sustain.

Richie666

Reaction score
That thing is lovely! Damn man, treat her well!

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
She earned a spot on the local music place's wall of gnarly guitar pictures today :lol:

Danxile

Reaction score
GAS! On the topic of a "zero fret", what exactly is a zero fret and what does it do? wouldnt it act just like a normal nut or am i missing something?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
GAS! On the topic of a "zero fret", what exactly is a zero fret and what does it do? wouldnt it act just like a normal nut or am i missing something?

-Easier to achieve good string height
-Open strings have the same tone as fretted notes

The strings are pulled down on it by the headstock angle/tuning pegs, just like your fingers/capo push the string onto the fret infront.
You still need a nut behind for the string spacing.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
So, the neck and headstock is one piece yes? Is the headstock angled or parallel to the fretboard? And the string tee is there for break angle over the zero fret? I'm thinking of a zero fret now for my 9 :yesway:
Lovely guitar you have here - how are you finding the bridge angle with regards to muting?

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Okay I really need to know why there's a random little piece of metal over the saddle for your high A?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Okay I really need to know why there's a random little piece of metal over the saddle for your high A?

Tuning strings that high on longer scales, even O4P strings, can be tricky. Distance from nut to tuner and saddle to ball end puts more stress on the string. String-thru bodies aren't suited to it so well.
As far as I remember, that metal can be slid away and the ball end popped into the saddle itself, held in place by the bit of metal. So the high A string is not threaded through the back of the guitar.

')