[NGD] Oddball Ibanez: 1992 Rocket Roll (Randy Rhoads) Cherry Sunburst

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Hi all,

once again (hope it doesn't get boring??) I present to you a quite obscure Japanese Ibanez model, this time from the early 90's. It was produced under the "RR Series" label which stands for Rocket Roll, but as you can see it's a Randy Rhoads body shape. There is virtually no information on this particular model on the web today - it's not in the catalogs and the Ibanez Register site has long gone down the drain (does anyone know why?). There are hints that it was a spot production model for a now defunct German mail order shop called RoadsTar Versand based in Pforzheim. This is yet to be confirmed, e.g. by magazine ads or catalog scans from that time; I am currently on the lookout for relevant material. On my search for infos, I have seen two different finishes, namely Black and this visually striking Cherry Sunburst that was applied to a Flame Maple veneer. The guitar has the original EDGE tremolo, Gotoh tuners, two stock Ibanez humbuckers V1/V2 (that I replaced with DiMarzios) in plastic bezels, a 3-way-toggle and two pots. The fretboard inlays are triangular and thus different from the Ibanez-typical Sharktooth shapes. However, these triangles can also be seen on some Korean EX series guitars from that time.

As for the color code: So far, it's an educated guess by myself because I couldn't find any color-related stamps in the neck pocket. In the same year 1992, a Destroyer variant called DT420FMCS was produced with almost the same features, therefore I believe the complete model number for the RR should read RR420FMCS.

When I got the guitar, it came with an EMG-81 at the bridge and a disconnected stock neck pickup. Of course, I reverted that modification and put in a decent bridge pickup; a DiMarzio Steve's Special (F-spaced), and threw in a PAF Pro (F-spaced) at the neck.

Here are the pictures!

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9157.jpg

IMG_9158.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9166.jpg

IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9169.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9132.jpg

IMG_9133.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
That find is going off the rails on a crazy train. Excellent find and a sick finish on an RR.

Congrats and HNGD!

Rylynn

Reaction score
Sharkfin inlay instead of Sharktooth :eek:

ratm2020

Reaction score
You have a hell of a collection sir and that there is a fantastic looking Ibby.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
:eek: holy shit that's awesome. I've sorta sworn off trems, but for that I could make an exception.

This should have been posted with a warning, now I have a boner at work.:lol:

77zark77

Reaction score
Awesome, I'm jealous !! Congrats ! :yesway:

Was that the one I could see on the german bay a few weeks ago ?

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
Ripping off Jackson AND Rickenbacker there, I see.

Someone said Sharkfin inlays, but those are slightly curved. These are straight half-rectangles.

That said, I would kill for an MiJ Ibanez in an interesting shape (as long as it has a hardtail) no matter who they rip off.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
.... me, a RR model with original Edge trem- HELL YES

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
Oh wow. Ibanez had it right.
Jackson probably gave them hell and they erased that one quickly, tho :D
Classy RR!

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
My latest research points towards a slightly different model number, that is RR520CS. This was found in the 1992 main Ibanez price list at the distributor Meinl along with RR420BK, DT420BK and DT520CS.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Looks sweet!!!!

How many Ibby's do you own?

')