[NGD] Oddball Ibanez: 1992 Rocket Roll (Randy Rhoads) Cherry Sunburst

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Y-my-R

Reaction score
I'm the original owner of this very guitar!

I recognize it from the chip under the second R on the headstock, and the damages on the back. I got mad one day, because I couldn't get a complicated riff right, threw the guitar on the bed pretty hard, it bounced back up and hit a marble sill that was on one end of the bed. That's where the damages on the back are from. I think I almost cried after that.

When I had it, there was also a minor paint chip on the long edge, but only the top layer had chipped off - no wood was exposed. I'm not sure about this one any more, but I think there was also a hairline crack at the typical spot where the neck and the body meet.

I still miss this guitar. A LOT! Which is why I did a general search for "Ibanez RR-Series" and this one came up. Unbelievable... but I'm 100% certain. If you would want to sell it again, let's talk!

I don't recall the exact year I bought it, but it was before using it to record an album in 1993 that I used it on, so 1992 sounds about right.

I lived in Augsburg (Germany) at the time, and yes, I did order the guitar from RoadStar for 1200 DM (German Marks). They were sold elsewhere, too, though... the other guitar player in my band bought the same guitar first - in the same color combination. As far as I remember, he bought it from a local music store in Kempten (Germany), or somewhere close to Pfronten (Germany), where he lived. I was really thrilled about his new guitar... found the same model in a RoadStar catalog, and ordered it, too. (For most of the gigs we played, to avoid a cheesy partner-look, I had the entire guitar carefully covered in matt black sort of veneer (like a giant sticker that I customized to cover every inch of it).

There are pictures of both of us playing an RR in the photos section of that band's Facebook page (ignore the pink Jackson Randy Rhoads). This might seem weird, but THIS guitar, is the black RR-Series shown in the following picture. If you look closely, though, you see some orange shining through around the tremolo, etc. That's because the whole thing was carefully "stickered off" at the time.

http://on.fb.me/1gjUTnp

If you go to the general Facebook page for the band, click on the "Music" link and listen to anything from the "Enter the Gate" album, you'll hear only this type of RR-Series guitar (and an Ovation, somewhere in an acoustic part). I think I'm on the right channel, the other RR is on the left in most songs.

http://on.fb.me/1lWs3gt

For some reason, the other guitar player's RR sounded a bit better than mine. I was rather unhappy with the V1/V2 pickups and replaced the bridge pickup shortly after the recordings. I installed a pickup that I loved, that I took out of a Sigma Les Paul copy from the 70ies (made for Martin Guitars at the time). On the back of the pickup, the word "GOTOH" was stamped on. Nothing else. But from your story, it sounds like whoever had the guitar after me replaced that one with an EMG pickup (interestingly, I have an EMG pup in that Sigma now).

I have a few other pics of the guitar, that I could scan. But none of them come close to the quality of the pictures you took. In 2 of the pics I have, you can see the chip under the RR Logo, although just like a tiny little blur. When I sold the guitar, it also had a silly little sticker of a cherub angel close to the end of the longer edge (I wasn't playing death metal anymore at that time)... but that was probably gone by the time you got it.

I might still have the original receipt somewhere at my parent's house in Germany. I've been living in Los Angeles since the year 2000, and had sold the guitar to a guy two doors down in our rehearsal room complex (Fabrikschloss, Augsburg) when I purged nearly all of my possessions in preparation of moving over here. Forgot how much I charged. I'll probably be in Germany later this year - if you want, I can try if I can find the receipt.

My main guitar now is an Ibanez RG 7620 from 1998, by the way. It's great, but I STILL miss this one, and wish I had never sold it. On top of it, the album I recorded with it will be released this month, with a 21 year delay. Even more of a reason why I'm thinking about about this one...

Anyway, let me know if you have any more questions, and/or if you'd actually be willing to sell it back to me, Ibanezgitarrero! I'd love to even just get to see it in person some day. Still looking great! :)

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
I'm the original owner of this very guitar!
Thanks for tuning in and sharing the history of this particular guitar. It all makes sense because the previous owner lives in Augsburg!

Seems like fate has decided that this baby returns to you. I won't stand in the way of a family reunification. Just get in touch and we'll talk. ;) (I also sent a PM)

MikeyLawless

Reaction score
Thanks for tuning in and sharing the history of this particular guitar. It all makes sense because the previous owner lives in Augsburg!

Seems like fate has decided that this baby returns to you. I won't stand in the way of a family reunification. Just get in touch and we'll talk. ;) (I also sent a PM)

Awesome dude you are! \M/

')