NGD: Ormsby Goliath GTR 8 String

MickD7

Reaction score
So the day came, my birthday present to myself arrived and the wait was worth it. Before we get to the pictures, I’ll tell you a story first.

I first heard of Ormsby when I was in High School and since then I’ve kept a close eye on what was happening and what products became available. When the Goliath was announced I knew that this was the one for me. I’d wanted a headless for sometime, I wanted a multi scale and I wanted it to be an 8 string. The Goliath offered all of this so I pulled the trigger.

Pros
Build quality is flawless, the hardware is great the pickups sound really good and do everything that I want. The neck profile and fan is super comfortable and easy to get used to. The finish looks stunning in person. The nut is cut perfectly and the setup was really good.

Cons.
I didn’t like the strings it had. Other then that everything else is great.
3D74A6D8-CC6E-4CAF-AD8B-18D18D7C1B89.jpeg
67FEE31F-0AE3-49D9-8CA2-DE29C55C0E79.jpeg
DC95DAC7-0884-40D0-8777-28EF5E242DFE.jpeg
3BA3D194-2077-433B-B9AC-5DF244A59917.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice! I kinda want one myself. I don’t really need any more guitars (famous last words!) so I’m kind of waiting for a combination of specs that will tip the scales. If there were a pink Goliath with a maple board I’d get it manana!

MickD7

Reaction score
Nice! I kinda want one myself. I don’t really need any more guitars (famous last words!) so I’m kind of waiting for a combination of specs that will tip the scales. If there were a pink Goliath with a maple board I’d get it manana!

I have two nice 8 stings already but when this was released and I found one after missing out on the order initially I just had to get it. 0 regrets

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
Looks great. Personally I'll never order one because that intrusive lower horn doesn't leave enough room for my long hands.

Vuurius

Reaction score
Congrats with that beauty! Love the color.
Is there a company that makes pickups that you can change with the stock ones?

A-Branger

Reaction score

Ormsby sell different range of pickups they do in Australia, if you want something hotter or different. If not you can buy a baseplate from them so you can adapt any aftermarket pickup into it.

bit more work than jsut replace a pickup, but it can be done. I have seen people putting Dimarzios and BKP

MickD7

Reaction score

I like the pickups they do what I need but I’m sure they have other options

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Congrats! How do you compare it with other 8 strings? I'm waiting for a Hype 8 and I've only played Ibanez low end, Kiesel and Strandberg!

It sounds like you'd love my Strandberg

MickD7

Reaction score
Congrats! How do you compare it with other 8 strings? I'm waiting for a Hype 8 and I've only played Ibanez low end, Kiesel and Strandberg!

It sounds like you'd love my Strandberg

I’d say the neck is way more comfortable then my m80m, the pickups sound remarkably better then the emg 808s in my RG852. That the two things I notice the most, I’ll still use the other two form recording and live shows

laxu

Reaction score
Love the finish on that one. I really don't like the natural backs they put on most models, I think a lot of them would look better with a darker back color to go with the tops.

')