NGD: Ormsby Hypemachine Claro walnut burl

• Thread starter esp_eraser
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

esp_eraser

Reaction score
Firstly here are some quality pics

With Capos girls :cool:

My Rack now:

Specs:
6 String multiscale
1 piece Black limba Body
Claro Walnut burl top w/matching backplates
Pale Moon Ebony Neck scarf jointed
30 year Air dried Figured Tasmanian Oak fretboard
Tahitian Black pearl Shark inlay
Black peraloid binding (ties in the shark quite well)
Glow green side dots
Hipshot Locking tuners
Stainless Steel XJ Frets
Bone nut
Ormsby Nunchucker A8 and De La Crème a5 pickups
Single saddle bridge pieces
2 volume controls, and coil split mini switch
Dunlop recessed straplocks
Oiled body/headstock face and satin neck

* I dont normally put these things up so be kind *

Ok so ive been a fan of the Ormsby brand for a long long time now. For whatever reason its taken me this long to get one but now that I have one the weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Disappointed that I had missed out on the 13'hype run I ensured that I kept my eye on SSO for any updates and needless to say I was rewarded by having the opportunity to get in on the run.

Short review:

I often read these reviews after someone has received a guitar.
"Oh its the best thing ive ever played" "best guitar i own" etc etc only for it to end up in the FS/FT column a couple of weeks later or worse a long and detailed thread about the 101 points of why not to buy a guitar from loothier x......

This is not one of those, I have had this guitar for 4 full weeks now.
It has been played unplugged, at low volumes, and cranked and yes its had to time to endure Melbournes fluctuating weather. :lol:

It Is AMAZING, absolutely not a shred of doubt about it.

The guitar itself has a great balance to it, obviously there is more weight in the body than the neck though it just tends to balance out quite nicely.

Design wise: I love it and from the body to the headstock it works extremely well. Any thought I had of owning a Blackmachine has been erased as this in my view satisfies any curiosity i had of the former.
Tonewoods wise its quirky but thats my taste and it worked well.
As for the tonewoods available they are sourced from all over the world and of the highest grade in most cases.
Construction wise it is a First class, see last point*

The craftsmanship on this guitar is also of a excellent/high standard, great carves, perfectionist detail on the binding. The most exquisite neck carve known to man. I asked for an ESP thin u, and I was given that though comparing side by side this just has that extra amount of detail that makes it more enjoyable to play.

The latter could be due in part to the multiscale system. This is no gimmick or an attempt to slant frets to look aesthetically pleasing.
Whilst I can't explain everything that is happening with it all I need to know is that it works for me and I dont regret ordering multiscale.

This leads me to the playability, it is of the highest standard.
What I believe justifies this comment is:
1. the setup work is superb
2. the fretwork is incredible good
3. The combination of the neck, multiscale and precision craftsmanship make this one of the most comfortable and enjoyable guitars i've ever played.
Some guitars will fight you whilst playing them, others like a Parker Fly will let you move effortlessly across the neck. This guitar is has its own feel and I truly believe it is one of the most amazing guitars ive played.

How does it sound?? It has great bass and treble characteristics with notable mids coming through. It has this twang about it too, maybe due to the ebony neck/oak fb and .... it is its own beast. Quality wise its the same as any Ormsby I've played but it has its own unique sound.

One thing I can say about the Ormsby brand is consistency and high quality.
I have played a half dozen of them now, from client owned to an Artist owned and barring personal specs and woods they are all on the same level.

The customer service aspect of this business, yet another benchmark
I often :nuts: when I see someone complain that a luthier hasn't been in contact with a client and its "like soooo long its been 2 days"
** Please dont expect Perry or any other luthier to be at your beckon call because thats simply unrealistic but..

Its simple, make yourself available and when you're available to respond you do.
Perry has Facebook groups for his client runs ( A first I believe?) and communication is made an absolute breeze. Not only can we see constant updates of the guitars throughout their build process but get to discuss related topics with other clients.

If that wasnt enough there were constant photo updates from Perry and Capoieresp and guitar mockups a plenty to mix and match tonewoods before selection was cemented in.

Overall I would do this 100 times over without thinking about it and would encourage anyone who has GAS'd or dreamed of owning one to...
....ING DO IT!!!!!! :hbang:

There are people who become luthiers and do an absolute superb job of it crafting fine instruments and then there are some that are not made for it.
Perry Ormsby was born for crafting Guitars and theres just no doubt about it.

Thanks to Perry, Jett and Capoeiraesp for all of your hard work. :wavey:

Some shots ive taken with my moblie (cell phone) :lol::

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
phhhhhhhhhhhwoaaaaaaaaaaar. Happy NGD! Can't wait to get mine :D

ormsby guitars

Reaction score
Thank you Robbie. I'll admit I got a little tear in my eye reading this ��

nyxzz

Reaction score
Gorgeous axe. I know for a fact that the day I can afford an instrument of this caliber, I'll jump on an Ormsby without a second thought. It's my dream to own one. HNGD!

patsanger

Reaction score
Awesome write up. And that PME neck looks great with that amazing top!

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Great write up, Rob! Glad you're a happy man. That guitar is immaculate.

HappySinner

I am the Anti-bling!
Reaction score
Great review! I've been Perry's endorsee for ten years now, and I have to agree with all points. I came from an endorsement with a major guitar brand to sign with Ormsby, and have never regretted the move. A major talent in guitars, for sure. :hbang:

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
My GOD that guitar is beautiful! Congratulations and enjoy :) Love the wood choices man - absolutely insane looking

Braden717

Reaction score
Wow, Ormsby is definitely on my radar in the future. What a smokin' guitar.

Doombreed

Reaction score
HNGD mate. The PME neck in particular is a thing of pure ridiculous awesomeness!

Could you perhaps expand a bit on how she sounds? Perhaps in terms of tones you might expect from other guitars?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Got to have a play on this beast yesterday.

PME is a fantastic neckwood!

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Stunning guitar, Looks immense! & from the sounds of it it sounds / plays immensely too HNGD!!!

The Hypemachine GAS is burning hotter as time goes on.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Happy NGD dude!!! That is a stunning guitar. The neck is awesome, how does it feel?

Latest posts

')