NGD: Overload Rea 8 Custom Multiscale, and simple review

• Thread starter Un1corn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Hi! It's been a long time since I have ordered this guitar, and finally just before I have to move to another place due to personal reasons, the guitar arraived, and I'm super excited about it.

Some backgrounds: back in 2020 I've bought one Overload Rea 8 used, and it was exceptionally well. Some litle quirks of build quality but overall very solid guitar, especially the killer price tag. However for some reasons I had to sell that one, and that one isn't what exactly I would like to build one myself, so I have reached out to Matteo Dondi and ordered one myself.

After a year and half the guitar is finally done, and it's well beyond my expectations and I'm very satisfied.
7r_03489-jpg.147673

First here are the specs, and I'll talk about the ordering experience and the guiitar itself:
-------------
Body: Swamp Ash
Top: Flame Poplar with Wenge Layer
Neck: Custom Wenge/Maple/Purple Heart 7-ply
Fretboard: Birdseye Maple with Custom Inlay, 20 inch radius
Tuner: Hipshot Griplock Tuner
Fret: Jescar Jumbo Stainless
Scale: 26-28.6 Custom Multiscale
Pickup: Gorilla The Blacksmith
BKP Polymath
with Custom Wood Bobbins
Bridge: ABM 3210
-------------
Also I asked Matteo do install a second switch and a battery box for me to customize the electronics afterwards. All this includes the shipping, sums up at 3350 EUR. You will at least 6k to get this from Skervesen so although it's not cheap by any means, but it's killer price compared to other custom brands and I think it's totally worth it.

I will update pictures and contents as I experience more: my net is bad now.

The Ordering Experience:
-
This depends on how you would ask. Matteo is a very nice guy and he will give you lots of recommendations when building the guitar, and I can see all his choices are reasonable and experienced. Especially this top, without him I wouldn't even know this kind of top existed. However it's hard to get a fast reply, I don't know if this is how Italians work, but all Italians I've contacted with, have very slow response. I'm not in a rush so I am happy to wait, but I know late reply can annoy some people. Originally the guitar is said to be done within 5-6 months on their website, but I guess Italians have tons of vacations, the guitar took one and half year to finish. Also his English is a bit crappy (just like mine), so there's a possiblity that some things are misunderstood. If you explained carefully, then it's good.

Actually I've sent a concept color finish picture to him, and he said he likes it as well. When actually starts to stain the guitar, the pink stain he had is not what something I wanted at first. However after contact, he immediately bought a new bottle of stain and showed me the new results, the attitude is very nice. There will be some small communication problems, like at the final stages about the pickup bobbin and hardware. The pickup they ordered is black even I would like a pink bobbin, but he agreed to make me a bobbins for free so all good here. The bridge, I was hoping for a string-through hipshot, but Matteo said my angle is too big and suggest we use single saddle bridges, like Hipshot ones. However the final bridge is still ABM. I have no complains about ABM in terms of performance, but I really do not like ABM's setup mechanism. The little screws there are easy to slip, and octaves are hard to tune due to when locked, the saddles will eventually moved a bit front. But overall I can accept with it, I'm totally fine with ABM as well.

Overall the ordering experience is quite good, Matteo is a really nice guy and the recommendations are good. However it can be slow to response and there could be some misunderstandings.
3/5

Guitar's Design:
- The reason I choose Overload, is because I really like the Rea body design and shape. Actually my favorite shape is Skervesen's 4AP, and you can see the slim curves and overall design choice on Rea has some similarities. Rea is very ergonomic, it feels free when playing, and the balance is good. Rea is not big, it's actually about as the same size as a Telecaster. My spec has chambered body, and it feels extremely light for a 8 string. However there would be some neck dive due to the chambering, but I rarely play standing so it's not a problem for me.

The top is actually only seen on Italian guitars like GNG, STK, and Overload. At first I said maple burl, but matteo said maple burl is hard to make such clean pink stain. And he's right, most pink maple burl are more close to orange in terms of hue, more deep and saturated. He then recommended my this flame poplar top, because I really do not want another quilted maple as I've had too much. This flame poplar top is unique, it doesn't quite have a 3D effect like quilted maple, even at darker environments it looks like printed. However when you shoot a light on it, you will see the grain reacts differently and the 3D effect is there. Also the grain is somewhat like a combination of flame maple and quilted maple, but different. I'm very happy he suggested this top.

Matteo is one that uses wenge layer a lot on guitars. It's not common to see wenge layers on guitar, most of them are on basses. As far as I know, Red Layer also uses wenge. Wenge is very strong, it can be a very good material to add hardness for the soft poplar top, and the dark line really gives the body more contrast.

The natural binding is perfect, it added a rounded edge on the top, and the transition from stained top -> natural top -> wenge layer is perfect. I like guitars have a more rounded shape, this suits perfectly.
The body is 2pcs swamp ash. Matteo did a great job putting these pieces together, actually if you don't look closely, it looks like one piece.

About the custom inlay, since Overload uses CNC to cut those things, inlays can be designed accurately and turns out it really is. The inlay is exactly what I designed.

However there could be improvements, like the pickup angle can be more aggressive. Overall very solid.

4.5/5

Guitar's Build Quality:
-
Actually it's much better than the Overload I had before. The one I had before was built around 2016~2017, it wasn't rough, but definitely had room for improvment. After years I can say there is a significant improvment in the build. The bindings are perfect, neck joints and other build quality things are beyond expectations.

However I won't say it's inline with the best, there are still some very small quirks. The wood bobbins are a bit rough on the edges, as well as the wood cavity cover. The joint of headstock and fretboard is a bit rough as well but nothing too big.

In the electronics cavity, the wires are managed, shieding is well done, and Matteo kindly remained the unsed wire inside to let me customize it afterwards. The cavity is big and there will be plenty of room for me to install a circuit board. The wood cavity cover is not something listed on their website

3.5/5

Guitar's Feeling:
-
Matteo did a great job tuning the guitar. My spec has 20 inch radius fretboard, which is as flat as I like. I am personally a very thin gauge player, I want maximum clarity especially playing 8 string. Magically, I didn't talk to Matteo how would I like the the guitar setup to be, but it's right within the range of I usually setup my guitars. I like flat neck, which using a feeler gauge, pressing 1st and 24nd fret, there would be about 0.015mm at 12th fret. The string action is mid to low as well, 8th string has about 1.75mm, and it transitioned to about 1.3mm to the 1st string. Due to the longer scale, intonation is great as well, and the setup is definitely perfect for me.

The neck profile is also flat, it's even flatter than my Lepsky. Which is also something I like. I know there are people who love a more rounded neck so they can grip better, but this is personal preference and

Attachments

• 7R_03489.jpg
    7R_03489.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Sorry for the break since my network is really rough right now, and I have expired the time I can edit.

*The wood cavity cover is not something listed on their website but you can ask fo this, Matteo will make one for free.
7R_03491.jpg

7R_03492.jpg

Guitar's Feeling:
-
Matteo did a great job tuning the guitar. My spec has 20 inch radius fretboard, which is as flat as I like. I am personally a very thin gauge player, I want maximum clarity especially playing 8 string. Magically, I didn't talk to Matteo how would I like the the guitar setup to be, but it's right within the range of I usually setup my guitars. I like flat neck, which using a feeler gauge, pressing 1st and 24nd fret, there would be about 0.015mm at 12th fret. The string action is mid to low as well, 8th string has about 1.75mm, and it transitioned to about 1.3mm to the 1st string. Due to the longer scale, intonation is great as well, and the setup is definitely perfect for me.

The neck profile is also flat, it's even flatter than my Lepsky. Which is also something I like. I know there are people who love a more rounded neck so they can grip better, but this is personal preference. Frets are well treated, bending is as smooth as you can imagine. It's one of the best feeling I can think.
4.5/5
7R_03493.jpg

7R_03494.jpg

Guitar's Sound:
-
This is something really big and I need to give it more time, but even at this time it's already a 5/5 for me. I just can't imagine how good this would be before I actually get it and play it.

Let's talk about the neck pickup first, Gorilla The Blacksmith. Actually I hesitated to go Gorilla, since I do not know much about this, and from their website I can see Gorilla is actually in the same place as Overload. But there aren't many single coil 8 string on the market. I had a chance playing a Themis 8 in Japan's Kurosawa Instruments, and I was immediately blown away by the Gorilla it has. At that point I know Gorilla is gonna be a killer, and turns out it actually is. The Blacksmith in the neck, is everything I cou;d imagine from a modern single coil. It has the twangy round charateristics I love, yet has clear definition and super satisfying dynamics. Matteo's neck pickup setup is higher on the low string side and lower on the high string side, and this works exceptionally well. The low strings sound full and full of attack, while the high strings remain pristine and clean. I can confidently recommend Gorilla pickups if you want to search for aftermarket brands, besides they are really cheap, and they come free with Overload.

And the bridge, BKP Polymath. I'm a huge fan of Nolly's tone, I love how saturated and full his mid sounds. And this is the one I imagined, and surprisingly it's my personal preference setup as well. The pickup is set very low, about 3.5mm+ both low and high when 24th fret is pressed. I personally tends to use lower pickup height as well, since I really dig into the stringy tone and clarity of each string. This makes the output so low, that is even a bit lower than my Telecaster Stack. When playing simple power chords, you can feel it needs more boost to get the same level, but when strumming a high chord like Mark Holcomb. DAMN. This thing rocks. The sound is so saturated and full, it's simply huge, yet remaining all the clarity you want from a modern pickup. It's vastly different than something like Painkiller where my Skervesen has, especially on 8 string, you don't need those aggressive treble boost to make it clear and tight, yet somehow it sounds aggressive. My Ormsby also has a set of Polymath, but 6 string is different from 8 string.

However the pickup height is a bit too low IMO, makes the sound of 4th 5th and 6th string dry. I can simply raise the height to a point I like, and this needs more time to find but at this point it's already beautiful. But I do think the pickup angle could be more aggressive. Mine scale is just about right as Ormsby, I would think the sound is gonna be even better if the pickup angle is more aggressive, like Ormsby.

Another addition to this, is the middle position. When combined parallel, the chemistry works out quite magically. I don't know if you get the Japanese cutting style guitar, but this is the sound. I can magically use my Telecaster preset, works just like Telecaster. I don't fully understand the magic behind, but it's vastly different from a typical HH pickup set's parallel position.

Solid 5/5
7r_03502-jpg.147680

7R_03509.jpg

Overall:

- At the price point of 3350 EUR includes shipping, this things is a killer. Overload really has one of the biggest range of cutomization you can find on the market, and for sure Matteo will build you a dream guitar. The guitar feels good, looks amazing and sounds amazing, but at the same time the communication is a bit slow and it's not quite the top build quality of all custom guitars. I would personally choose this over Skervesen, but if you have the money, like 5k EUR+, you can get better with other brands I guess. I don't have that much though.

4/5

More pictures:

7R_03504.jpg

7R_03505.jpg

7R_03506.jpg

7R_03507.jpg

Attachments

• 7R_03502.jpg
    7R_03502.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
Holy shit, dude - that finish with the gold hardware is super good. Happy NGD. It's a thing of beauty.

')