NGD: PRS Angelus SE A10E Now with Pics

• Thread starter michblanch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

michblanch

Reaction score
I went into a guitar shop in Houston about 2 weeks ago and just for fun and boredom decided to play an Acoustic PRS SE Angelus.
First I tried the spruce top models and found them to be sound somewhat thin on the low strings. So I kinda figured "Done with that".

Then I decided to try the all mahogany version. :eek: WOW.
I left and kept thinking about the guitar and it's sound.
So , I decided over the weekend to go back and play it again.

So I took down a few Spruce Tops and just started comparing them to the Mahogany.
It had super low action, the neck felt great.
This guitar sounds incredible. The lows , mids and highs all sound fantastic. The guitar has a lot of resonance and projects the sound without losing anything.
At this point the guitar shop owner came over and asked what I thought.
We then started comparing to Martins, Taylors and a few other high end guitars he had.
The Korean made SE Angelus held up.
For a budget guitar this is a lot of bang for your buck.
Mahogany top, back, sides, and neck, rosewood fretboard, bone nut and saddle, bound neck and headstock.

I purchased it and was happy with the deal and was kinda taken aback when the owner said it came with a hardshell case.

I know this sounds like a commercial, I was just excited about the whole deal.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

michblanch

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

3592A4D5-68FE-4C2F-9E24-E56E15103674.jpg

CAF7D415-E895-4A20-88FB-DD208508B3AA.jpg

016C76D2-37FA-43B0-9699-179CA2699743.jpg

80EB1D08-4168-460B-9ADB-44462C6E74AC.jpg

Volume and tone control
E7B409B6-BD2B-41EA-A7FB-1AA147386321.jpg

Input
21EE3CD4-93A0-483A-814F-DF00195A7330.jpg

warpedsoul

Reaction score
Wow. HNGD. I've been thinking about a new acoustic, and this wasn't even on my radar until now. How do you compare this to the Taylor 314?

michblanch

Reaction score
Wow. HNGD. I've been thinking about a new acoustic, and this wasn't even on my radar until now. How do you compare this to the Taylor 314?

I didn't compare with a 314.
The 2 Taylor's I compared with were the 214's and the Martin Aura's.
The Taylor's also had great onboard electronics. The Expression System is top notch.
I found that the Sitka Spruce tops were great in the mids and highs, but lacked just a little in the low end compared to,mahogany.
From what I have read the 314's are outstanding. But if you are going to spend $2,000 on a guitar, it better sound exceptional.

I do like the fact that PRS is using the X Bracing , bone nut and saddle.
The all mahogany guitar sounds warm and just rings.

Make sure you try the Mahogany PRS not the spruce.
I also just saw that PRS is coming out with the new models so they have dropped the prices on these to $539.00.
Figures that it happens right after I buy one. :mad:

warpedsoul

Reaction score
I'm VERY interested in these now. I've seen the Taylor 314ce's go used for around $800, so that will be a hard choice when I decide to get one. Still, your PRS is a beauty.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I had a chance to play several of these the other day, and I agree they are nicer than the Taylor 214's (no surprise since the back and sides on the PRS are solid, and the Taylor's are just laminates). I also liked it better than the 314, but I preferred the 324 (the mahogany topped version).

Latest posts

')