NGD - PRS Baritone, Now in Vintage Cherry!

• Thread starter ratm2020
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
And the questions on everyone's mind!
scale? tuning? specs? review?
Mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, 22 frets, PRS Design pups, 27.7" scale.

Nice find OP, I like the silverburst more, but that looks really cool.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
What a great birthday present!! Beautiful, congrats!!

ratm2020

Reaction score
Curt nailed the specs. Currently tuned to Drop-A, which has fine tension with the stock strings.
The necks on these are fantastic, certainly not ibanez thin, but a nice comfortable carve that you can play for hours. The body is incredibly light but it has quite good sustain. I love the shape of the bridge on these, no sharp edges, really comfortable for palm muting and seems to have a lot of mass.
The weak points are the nut and pickups. The nut is made of some cheap plastic material, this one seems cleaner cut than some I have seen at guitar center but I will probably change it out at some point. The pickups aren't the worst I have ever heard and I would even say the neck pup sounds decent. The bridge however is just mud city, especially the further down you tune. I am thinking maybe a set of these:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Even though I don't like red guitars, the color really fits PRS. I like a lot. :D

Would be nice to see more Mushoks with non-burst finishes, too.

Reaction score
Looks great! This is my first time seeing the Mushok model in this finish and I really dig it!

I have the silverburst Mushok and they are great guitars! :yesway:

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
this is awesome because I really hate silverburst :fawk:

HNGD !

Curt

Reaction score
Dude, the drop and gains are SICK. Used to have some in a Gibson LPC tuned to standard B.

Curt

Reaction score
And now I want the D&Gs even more. :lol:
They are the only lace pups I tried, but they are among the best sounding pickups I have used. I just fell out of love with the black box look. I do wish they made them for 7's.

indreku

Reaction score
Congrats on NGD - love cherry -I have my old LTD viper aswell in seethru cherry red and it is epic.

ratm2020

Reaction score
Dude, the drop and gains are SICK. Used to have some in a Gibson LPC tuned to standard B.

That's good to hear. I have had a huge hard-on for something lace since I heard of them ans started reading up on how they work.
I was actually looking to get a set of x-bars for my RG8, but this guitar kinda ate up that budget :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I played a silverburst version of this and loved the neck on it :yesway:

Great find with that finish, and HNGD!

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Beautiful guitars. I had the silverburst. The stock pickups were mud so I put BKP rebel yells in it, but it became too bright and spiky coupled with the maple neck, ebony board and lightweight mahogany.

Really thinned out the tone too much as the guitar was inherently slightly scooped and brittle sounding acoustically.

So I put a BKP blackdog in it and HOLY CRAAAAAP!!!! Absolutely awesome, perfectly balanced and full, but snapped and barked when you wanted it to. Regret selling it at times.

This looks better than the silverburst IMO. The silver finish on the mushoks is all sparkleflake and only a thin burst of black around the edge. Gibson were the best at silverburst in the 80s. Big thick lines, not a cheap little stripe around the edge

Other mods I did that you might consider were getting rid of all the cheap looking chrome parts. They seem like they just dont belong on such a nice guitar.

I replaced them with locking black schaller tuners, a cheap bridge replica in black and then eventually an all black schaller heynes bridge.

I also had uncovered white pickups with black allen bolts and mounting screws to contrast all the black hardware and to tie the white binding in. It looked classy. Like a $2000 guitar.

Put a BKP black dog in the bridge first though, your head will explode.

Beautiful guitar for the cash, congrats.

Latest posts

')