NGD PRS Custom 24

• Thread starter MoistTowelette
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Finally got my first PRS. I've had tons of guitars from pretty much every brand but for some reason I never got my hands on a PRS before. I found this guy locally on Craigslist for a great price (ridiculous price if you consider the current state of the used market. Why did used guitars get so fucking expensive?). The top has crazy flaming for just a 10 top. Made in 95, like a week before I was born. It's in pretty great condition for being 26 years old. I believe it's got the HFS+Vintage Bass pickup set. They sound not too bad with high gain but I have a set of SD Pegasus/Sentients on the way.

full

full

full

full

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Very nice man, I’ve got it’s Custom 22 twin.

The stock HFS and Vintage Bass are good pickups, you may find you don’t need to change them out.

JDinSC

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! The mid 90s PRS guitars rock. My "never sell" is a '96 Custom 22 and I have had at least three or four other mid 90s PRS guitars that all were pretty kick ass.

If you struggle with those tuners or they're in bad shape, Mann-Made parts has a set of "Phase II" style tuners with the shared D and G that drop right in without having to drill new holes etc. Should be a HFS bridge, VB neck, as that is the common Custom 24 pickup set.

Nice score!

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome, very nice catch! I have a similar model on the way, I'd be very interested to hear how you find the HFS/Vintage pickups.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Very nice man, I’ve got it’s Custom 22 twin.

The stock HFS and Vintage Bass are good pickups, you may find you don’t need to change them out.

After putting on some fresh strings, I actually agree. They're very good. The HFS bridge pickup has a decent amount of output and seems pretty balanced. I might keep them for the time being.

Here's the link for those tuners in case you need it. I'm soon to grab a set for my '96 as my Phase Is are absolutely haggard from years of tuning and various string gauge changes.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...se-I-Locking-Tuner-Set---Chrome-x42807273.htm

I will absolutely buy a set of these. The phase one winged tuners is literally the worst tuner design I've ever used.

JDinSC

Reaction score
I will absolutely buy a set of these. The phase one winged tuners is literally the worst tuner design I've ever used.

PRS offers a rebuild to Phase II specs (non wing) via the PTC, but I find that that Mann option is a great value proposition in comparison to the cost for PRS to do the rebuild.

JDinSC

Reaction score
I hated them too at first until I figured them out, then I got string changes down in under 5 minutes.

I'm pretty quick with mine as well. Mine have just gotten gritty and inaccurate/jumpy. I'd rather upgrade, hence me hunting until I found those. I nearly sent it off to PRS for their rebuild, but it was $300 or so, plus shipping. I'd rather just order the $150 tuners and install them myself.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I'm pretty quick with mine as well. Mine have just gotten gritty and inaccurate/jumpy. I'd rather upgrade, hence me hunting until I found those. I nearly sent it off to PRS for their rebuild, but it was $300 or so, plus shipping. I'd rather just order the $150 tuners and install them myself.

I felt like an idiot because I got it new before the internet was a thing, and I just could not figure it out. I had to drive 45 minutes back up to the store and get the guy to show me like three times and I was just perplexed. Then it clicked and I was like “wow, that is incredibly ingenious”. I would then start a song, change the strings, and finish before the song was over.

JDinSC

Reaction score
I felt like an idiot because I got it new before the internet was a thing, and I just could not figure it out. I had to drive 45 minutes back up to the store and get the guy to show me like three times and I was just perplexed. Then it clicked and I was like “wow, that is incredibly ingenious”. I would then start a song, change the strings, and finish before the song was over.

Yeah, there were quite a few YouTube videos and Forum hunts when I first got it as well. I see you're in Jacksonville. There's a very nice PRS SC594 Semi Hollow at the Sam Ash up there that I almost bumped my head and bought. LOL

jaxadam

Reaction score
Yeah, there were quite a few YouTube videos and Forum hunts when I first got it as well. I see you're in Jacksonville. There's a very nice PRS SC594 Semi Hollow at the Sam Ash up there that I almost bumped my head and bought. LOL

Well I might just have to go take a ride and check it out…

Yeah, Youtube and forums weren’t really around much in 1996, so there was no one to tell you you were wrong or how much your music sucked! I actually didn’t even have the internet, so mom and pop music shops was where it was at.

JDinSC

Reaction score
Well I might just have to go take a ride and check it out…

Yeah, Youtube and forums weren’t really around much in 1996, so there was no one to tell you you were wrong or how much your music sucked! I actually didn’t even have the internet, so mom and pop music shops was where it was at.

Right? I was a pup, but I was around and I made mom ride me around to all the music shops to dream. That SC594 is black with birds and heavily discounted because it's a NOS '19 model. Something like 3200 brand dang new. It's been a month or two since I've been up there, but maybe it's still there.

SORRY FOR THE POST HIJACK. Haha.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Right? I was a pup, but I was around and I made mom ride me around to all the music shops to dream. That SC594 is black with birds and heavily discounted because it's a NOS '19 model. Something like 3200 brand dang new. It's been a month or two since I've been up there, but maybe it's still there.

SORRY FOR THE POST HIJACK. Haha.

Is it part of the LTD SH run?

')