NGD- PRS SE Custom 24 7 Amethyst

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
After owning and playing nothing but top notch shit such as ViK, Ormsby, Mayones, Blackmachine, I decided that I should get a low end Korean 7 just to toss around. After playing a friends PRS recently I sort of had GAS for a 25" scale PRS 7, so I bought this one from Sweetwater.

I literally just got it one hour ago. So far I must say that the quality is not bad at all. The fretwork isnt insane, but its good with no complaints at all, and all the frets are totally pressed in all the way. There arent any sharp edges or anything like that. The strings are old and turning black with corrosion in some spots. The set up was good but after playing it for 5 minutes the action started to get higher, which is to be expected since I didnt let it acclimatize at all. After I brought it in from the outside sun for 2 minutes of pics, the set up was back to normal. So Im going to give it some time to see how stable the neck is on this guitar, but it plays well and the neck is very comfy. Im really a huge fan of PRS right now.

The tone is good. I just picked up my ESP CS, my ViK Duality 7, and my KxK and Strandberg to compare them all sound wise and if I was forced to say something it would be that this guitar is the least "focused" sounding of them all, but its not loose or flubby sounding at all. The other guitars just seem to have this overall more compact compressed solid tone to them. Dont get me wrong though, the tone on this thing is really good. I am pleased. It sounds like my old Ibanez Apex 1 sounded, but brighter and tighter. The pickups are good too, I have no major complaints about them. They are slightly geared more towards the hard rock player than straight up metal in that they arent too aggressive or hot but I am surprised at how decent they sound. They dont really need to be switched out.

I picked this one up because it weighs less than 7 lbs and has an actual maple top over a mahogany body. You can give me a veneer all day if it has a real maple top underneath, especially if Im only paying $700! I also wanted a 25" scale and something with proper inlay markers. Im totally glad I picked it up and will post more thoughts and pics after I toss in some BKPs and replace the cream pickup covers with black ones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Man I want one of these :yesway: they look so nice. Good purchase man.

Thanks man. I like buying from Sweetwater because you can see pics of the exact guitar from all angles as well as exact weight. All the others were like 7lbs 10oz, 7 lbs 13oz, 8 lbs. Then I saw this one which not only had the nicest flame top but was only 6lbs 13oz. Im gonna play the hell out of this thing

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that I saw that one at Sweetwater recently. Very cool guitar and very light for being a seven string!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great veneer on that one :yesway:

As for the tone, after having played the proto that went around and owning one of these for a while, the stock pickups are really mediocre and a pickup change does worlds of good for these :2c:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
They have one of these at my local music store and it rocks! I like it better than the KM7 believe it or not.

It is a better guitar than the KM7 IMO. Its got a real maple top, sounds better, and the attention to detail is better.

Great veneer on that one :yesway:

As for the tone, after having played the proto that went around and owning one of these for a while, the stock pickups are really mediocre and a pickup change does worlds of good for these :2c:

I think your right. They might be holding this thing back from being all that it can be. Ive got a set of Aftermaths laying around. Im going to see about posting up some type of clip when I swap em out

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
I've been eying one of these myself, all black though. Best top I've seen w/that color.

Timelesseer

Reaction score
That thing is beautiful! Hard to believe these things are only $700. Looking forward to checking out some clips of it once you drop those Aftermaths in

Kunu

Reaction score
I had the black version of this and it was absolutely best value for money what I have seen in guitars, HNGD!

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
The more I see these, the more I like 'em. :yesway:

Are you keeping this in standard tuning or are you dropping it? How do you find that it's handling tuning stability so far coupled with the scale length?

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
yeah I have to have one of these. Must. If you are familiar with Ibanez 7 necks, how do these compare?

This neck is only a little rounder in the shoulders and not as flat on the backside. A little bigger overall but not a big huge neck at all. Its different than the PRS 6 string necks Ive played

The more I see these, the more I like 'em. :yesway:

Are you keeping this in standard tuning or are you dropping it? How do you find that it's handling tuning stability so far coupled with the scale length?

I instantly drop all my 7s to drop A. The scale length could definitely be longer but if you have a good amp dialed in well with a good Overdrive in front it helps tighten the low end some. Because of this I can get it to sound OK at this scale length.

Latest posts

')