NGD RAD green DC727 content

• Thread starter Blazerok
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blazerok

Reaction score
Hey there guys, yesterday I received my very first Carvin 7 string. The guitar looks incredible.

Now, i've got two concerns. first, I have some string buzz (but not that much). I assume this may be due to temperature changes between California and Quebec (east of Canada). Am I correct? I guess i'll just wait and set it up when it settle down to quebec's temperature and humidity.

The second thing is the pickup mounting. The pickup are mounted with 3 screws (2 on Top, 1 on Bottom, pictures below.) I'ts pretty annoying IMO. How hard would it be to do a pickup swap (drilling involved. etc.)?

Other than that, i'm very satisfied. the guitars really plays well and sounds full. The sustain is great.
Now, on to pics!

a21f0887.jpg

26cc785b.jpg

6d6cf199.jpg

b90d5661.jpg

19193298.jpg

here is the pic of the pickup mounting.
a39dee0c.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordecai

Reaction score
mother of god, that is nice! its cool to see the maple fret board one a dc272 finally. :shred:

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
The string buzz can most likely be mostly eliminated with adjustment. But honestly ive NEVER heard a seven string much less any guitar for that matter that was beyond some small amounts of buzzing, especially when hit hard. As for your pickup concerns if you decide to do a pickup swap you will need to do drill another hole for other humbuckers. And even then you may need to enlarge the pickup cavity (or my favorite option) or grind some of the baseplate off your new pickups depending on what you get. I know carvin changed the routes for their 6 strings but the 7's as far as I know havent been alterered and therefore give some grief when swapping. The 3 pickup screw configuration was started so that the pickup could be tilted in its cavity and be more stable and less prone to feedback by being more rigid. That atleast is why carvin says they did it. I insist that its yet another pain in the ass that carvin sets before us to prevent us all from deviating from what they feel is the perfect guitar. Dont get me wrong. Im a fucking carvin fanatic. But it drives me bat shit crazy with the lengths in which they go to to prevent anyone from modding their product. It sure has to cost them more money to not be able to use off the shelf pickup parts. I would MUCH rather carvin standardize their pickup line.

Blazerok

Reaction score
The string buzz can most likely be mostly eliminated with adjustment. But honestly ive NEVER heard a seven string much less any guitar for that matter that was beyond some small amounts of buzzing, especially when hit hard. As for your pickup concerns if you decide to do a pickup swap you will need to do drill another hole for other humbuckers. And even then you may need to enlarge the pickup cavity (or my favorite option) or grind some of the baseplate off your new pickups depending on what you get. I know carvin changed the routes for their 6 strings but the 7's as far as I know havent been alterered and therefore give some grief when swapping. The 3 pickup screw configuration was started so that the pickup could be tilted in its cavity and be more stable and less prone to feedback by being more rigid. That atleast is why carvin says they did it. I insist that its yet another pain in the ass that carvin sets before us to prevent us all from deviating from what they feel is the perfect guitar. Dont get me wrong. Im a fucking carvin fanatic. But it drives me bat shit crazy with the lengths in which they go to to prevent anyone from modding their product. It sure has to cost them more money to not be able to use off the shelf pickup parts. I would MUCH rather carvin standardize their pickup line.

Thank you for your very complete answer. I guess it's too bad for the pickups, I probably just won't change them considering I hate to do irreversible operations on guitars, especially expensive ones.

Papaoneil

Reaction score
I do believe I like this more than mine, as it was the one I was going to order before I was traded mine

Blazerok

Reaction score
I do believe I like this more than mine, as it was the one I was going to order before I was traded mine

Well, yours has a discontinued finish, wich add a coolness factor to it! But thanks, I really dig the way it came out, I,m still unsure wether I prefer satin or gloss finish over that green. I've got both anyway :lol:

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
why did you choose the 727 over the DC700?

But congrats, glad to see more carvins in canada :)

Blazerok

Reaction score
why did you choose the 727 over the DC700?

But congrats, glad to see more carvins in canada :)

At first I thought the DC700 were active P.U only. But in the end, my mind was set on rounded edges

Thanks everybody! And regarding the pickup issues, i though about making a 2 to one screw adaptor, and gllue/screw it on the aftermarket pickups. Thoughts on this plan?

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
At first I thought the DC700 were active P.U only. But in the end, my mind was set on rounded edges

Thanks everybody! And regarding the pickup issues, i though about making a 2 to one screw adaptor, and gllue/screw it on the aftermarket pickups. Thoughts on this plan?

Will not work.

Aftermarket pickups require routing.
I've heard of some guys modding their pickups in the case of Dimarzios and getting them to fit somehow, but BKP's require routing. No way around it.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man, hope you get all the setup stuff worked out quickly (guarantee it's due to the large change in humidity and temperature). :yesway: Radiation green is my favorite solid finish from Carvin, if they do a CT7 that's likely what I'll be going with! :D

Mordecai

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered the regular maple board, and got quite some birdseye on it! little bonus!

that is a good little tip for me, i plan to order a 727 myself.. actually pretty similar to yours. i want the black burst edges though.

Blazerok

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Right now the guitar don't buzz, i've slightly raised the action. i'll just wait ad see. Regarding pickups, I have a crunch lab that i can play with just to see how much trouble it would be. i'll have a look at that soon enough. Might start a new thread if I find an easy way to mod the pickup.

')