NGD: Refinished and single pickup modded RG7321 + a pickup problem

• Thread starter edlamb0306
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is a bit of a tentative NGD, as a few of you may find this pretty unattractive, but I thought that it was interesting enough for a post. I know that you've all probably seen enough RG7321s to last you all a lifetime, but I thought that this one would be of interest. The guy who was selling this on eBay had refinished it in 'primer grey', gotten rid of the neck pickup and controls, and filled in all the cavities. I'm not particularly concerned with beautiful looks, especially when I got it for less than half the price of one new. I quite like it, but there are obvious imperfections and marks. They're not too noticeable unless examined closely. It obviously wasn't a pro job, but it's fairly solid.

It was also strung with the top 7 strings of that wacky Ernie Ball 8-string set. The 54 E string wasn't as difficult to play as I thought it would, actually. It's still a little too heavy for me, but not as heavy as I expected. I use that gauge for C# on my Jackson! A bit of a weird choice on EB's part :nuts:

I've attached a picture. Ignore my messy room. I did it hurriedly so I could go and watch Game of Thrones and was too tired afterwards to bother retaking it :rolleyes:

attachment.php

I didn't have much time to play it, but the first thing I noticed was the neck profile. I'm used to the profiles of my Jacksons, my Strat and my Les Paul, so it was a bit weird at first. I got used to it fairly quickly, though, and it's a good player. The volume pot is also super noisy, so I'll have to do something about that.
Apart from that, I found it easier to transfer from a 6 to a 7 than I expected, and it's great fun. I've joined the club and I'm here to stay! :hbang:

Now the problem mentioned in the title. The pickup. I'm not quite sure whether there's something wrong, or if it's just the pickup's character, but it's very screechy and strange. I've tried lowering its height, but it did nothing. In fact, I wasn't able to lower it much before the height adjustments screws became too tight. Am I just being an idiot?

Here's a quick recording I did not long after I picked up the guitar, in which I butcher some riffs. I did this late at night after a day of college, so the playing is a bit shoddy and I was still getting accustomed to it. Sorry. What do you guys suggest? Yes, it does sound quite unpleasant.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3006482/RG7321 riffs.mp3

Note, I kept any noise gates I would normally use off so you can see how abnormally loud the noise is. It's not this loud with any of my other guitars!

I'll be swapping it out for a BKP Blackhawk ASAP, but not for a little while. I'd like to have a decent tone until then, though haha!

Cheers, guys :metal:

PS: The recording was my HT-5's effects send with impulses. Recorded at -6db input level at 48k, and normalised; just in case you were wondering. I've tried lots of different amp settings, impulses, EQs, and nothing made it any more pleasant.

Attachments

• IMG_20130610_225113.jpg
    IMG_20130610_225113.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 438

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
Sounds like the pickup is wired wrong. The 7321 come with 4 conductor pickups, that can work splitcoil/phase settings. That clip in your dropbox sounds like only one of the coils is working. It has a single coil bite to it that Probably sounds fine clean, I bet. But distorted? Its freaking awful!

Take a picture of the control cavity? Might be a quick fix to get it working right.

It could be the pickup, though. Is it the stock Ibanez Axis humbucker?

Either way, its not supposed to sound like that!

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Sounds like the pickup is wired wrong. The 7321 come with 4 conductor pickups, that can work splitcoil/phase settings. That clip in your dropbox sounds like only one of the coils is working. It has a single coil bite to it that Probably sounds fine clean, I bet. But distorted? Its freaking awful!

Take a picture of the control cavity? Might be a quick fix to get it working right.

It could be the pickup, though. Is it the stock Ibanez Axis humbucker?

Either way, its not supposed to sound like that!

I knew there was something wrong the second I plugged it in the amount of hum it put out sounded like my Strat on the overdrive channel with the gain on full. I definitely thought that it sounded exactly like a singlecoil. Thanks for confirming that. This is annoying :wallbash:

It is the stock humbucker. Here are some pics of the cavity:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now, I'm no expert, but the soldering on the wire in the middle in the second photo looks a bit dodgy and it feels a bit loose. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. You probably can't see, anyway. They're just pics from my phone.
I don't know anything about wiring, and I don't even own a soldering iron. Being pretty badly dispraxic, I wouldn't trust myself with an clothes iron, let alone with a soldering iron! The last time I used one on an electronics course, I managed to burn the skin off my palm and a few of my fingers somehow :lol:. I'll have my local tech look at it as soon as I can.
I seem to have bad luck with pickup wiring. I looked in my Jackson's Cavity when the bridge 'bucker sounded a bit weird to find that the wires had been stuck down with duct tape :ugh: (it was second hand, obviously. I doubt something like that would get through Japanese quality control!)

Attachments

• IMG_20130611_190906.jpg
    IMG_20130611_190906.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20130611_191001.jpg
    IMG_20130611_191001.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 336

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
Yeah, that whole thing looks a little dodgy to me, dude. Get a tech to check it out, and if that wiring is somehow correct (doesnt look like it is) then he can at least re-solder it. If the wrong wire is connected, or its a bad solder, youre only running one coil. Wish I could help more, but its hard to tell, and Im no expert.

You should be able to get some good tones from the stock pickups (despite what some may say, if you dont believe it click my link in my signature. Lots of my rhythm guitars are recorded with the stock bridge pup on my 7321. i think it sounds rockin!) and that should be enough to tide you over until you can get a better pickup.

These guitars have a really comfortable neck, and if you got it for a good price, then you scored!

Other than that, its a pretty cool looking guitar! Very original! It will make people go: "What the hell is that?"

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Yeah, that whole thing looks a little dodgy to me, dude. Get a tech to check it out, and if that wiring is somehow correct (doesnt look like it is) then he can at least re-solder it. If the wrong wire is connected, or its a bad solder, youre only running one coil. Wish I could help more, but its hard to tell, and Im no expert.

You should be able to get some good tones from the stock pickups (despite what some may say, if you dont believe it click my link in my signature. Lots of my rhythm guitars are recorded with the stock bridge pup on my 7321. i think it sounds rockin!) and that should be enough to tide you over until you can get a better pickup.

These guitars have a really comfortable neck, and if you got it for a good price, then you scored!

Other than that, its a pretty cool looking guitar! Very original! It will make people go: "What the hell is that?"

Thanks for the help, mate. :yesway:
Apart from the suspect wiring, I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I'm not sure if it's taboo or something to mention the price; but I got it for £195, which is pretty good I think :)

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Looks classy dude. Shame about the electronics; it'll be a fun little project to fix it up though! That stuff is inexplicably thrilling to me :lol: hope it goes well.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
That looks wicked. Sucks about the wiring problem though.
HNGD!

Lungo

Reaction score
I'd have to do a little bit of research to confirm my guess but I think he got some wires mixed up. I believe black and white should be together and red should be soldered to the volume pot lug. Someone that knows what they're doing could sort it out for you in no time.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
One pickup guitars aren't really my thing, but I dig this one. Good find, especially for the price. Once you get the gremlins worked out, this should be a sweet first 7. Congrats and HNGD!

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I have one that I've been thinking of doing the same thing to.
Cool n.g.d.

Clicked on this thread to say this, only to find I had been beaten to the punch. I wanna do a black satin finish on mine, also with just the bridge humbucker and volume knob, only I want to put the volume knob where the tone knob is now. Just gotta sell off another guitar to get the proper funding to make it happen, and that should be happening in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to get started! All my rambling aside, that thing looks awesome, definitely hope you can get the wiring issue sorted soon. :metal:

nin2thevoid

Reaction score
I'd have to do a little bit of research to confirm my guess but I think he got some wires mixed up. I believe black and white should be together and red should be soldered to the volume pot lug. Someone that knows what they're doing could sort it out for you in no time.

This is probably a default Ibanez pickup, discernable by the color codes of the wires. The blue wire is what the green wire is on a DiMarzio pickup.

The wiring you photographed is wrong, assuming you want normal humbucker operation. It is easy to fix.

The color codes of the wires are:
Red - north start -> wire this to wherever you want to route the total output to, e.g. the volume pot input or the output jack tip.
Black - north finish
White - south finish -> put this together with the black and shield the connection from everything (this is how you link the coils)
Blue - south start -> wire this to the bare wires and ground these.

Then your signal chain is complete. You will have a regular humbucker setup.

Here's a link for you that explains the color codes of many popular humbucker brands.

Guitar & Bass 4-Wire Humbucker Color Code Diagrams

Use it in combination with the wiring diagrams on the DiMarzio site (which contain many, many useful setups). Then you can wire any humbucker brand in any common way you want.

')