NGD/Review: Aria Pro II J-B'Tone 30" Baritone (3-tone Sunburst)

• Thread starter LunatiqueRob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mentioned the reasons why decided to get baritone guitars in this other NGD/Review (https://www.sevenstring.org/threads...lraiser-c-vi-30-baritone-black-cherry.366119/), so I won't repeat it here.

This one is a lot cheaper than the Schecter baritone and I like them both and use them for different purposes. The Schecter is tuned a whole octave below standard E, while this is tuned a 4th lower.

_DSC5008.jpg
_DSC5012.jpg
_DSC5014.jpg
_DSC5016.jpg
_DSC5015.jpg

Ergonomics/Playability
This guitar is pretty comfortable to play. I mentioned in the other NGD that because I also play bass, I'm used to 34-inch scale and this is basically like a short-scale bass and pretty comfortable for me. It's got contoured neck-heel joint, belly cut, and forearm contour, so it's quite comfortable. The trem is nice and smooth too and not too firm. Stays in tune better than to all the lower-budget guitars I've owned, including hardtails.

Tones
I like the pickups on this, even though it's a relatively cheap guitar. Maybe it's because the whole thing is tuned a 4th down, the tones have a nice warmth that never gets shrill or thin like some guitars might. I think perhaps this is one of the inherent advantages of baritone guitars, just like how a cello will never get annoyingly shrill like a violin and viola might. The pickups are vintage lower-output and I find it soothing to play this guitar. Just kinda sit back and chill and play some simple but atmospheric melodic lines or pretty chords.

Aesthetics
This is one of the better-looking vintage-styled baritones IMO. The Fender-ish ones all tend to look a bit cluttered with those EQ switches. This one is simple and elegant.

kriff

Reaction score
Nice! How is the tone on the neck pickup? Given the scale length and the number of frets it must be proportionally much further along the strings than usual.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
HNGD

These are pretty interesting. I have been wanting a baritone for a while and this check s a lot of boxes for me.

How are the distorted tones vs cleans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, man. Might have to look into one eventually. I recently snagged a Gretsch G5260, which I'm very happy with overall, but if I want to swap the pickups, it's going to be a pain in the ass. Not the end of the world - I'm actually ok with the stock pickups, but it'd be nice to have a long scale with a humbucker route.

Anyway, happy NGD, dude. The offset body shape looks great :cheers:

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! How is the tone on the neck pickup? Given the scale length and the number of frets it must be proportionally much further along the strings than usual.
I really like the neck pickup. To me it sounds sweet. Not anemic or shrill like how some neck single-coils can get. But of course the really long scale makes a difference too, and I don't know how the same pickup would sound on a normal scale guitar. When I play it up high on the neck it still sounds sweet and smooth, so I'd assume it would sound that way in a normal scale guitar too.
How are the distorted tones vs cleans?
The clean tones have a nice smoothness and clarity, and they sound good with distortion too. I can use the hi-gain chug presets I created and they sound good on this guitar. No mud, and no shrillness.
Anyway, happy NGD, dude. The offset body shape looks great :cheers:
I like how they took the classic offset shape and tweaked it and made it look nicer. Extruding out a sharp lower horn was a great call--it made the body shape more unique and a bit more elegant, since the typical offset design tends to look a bit blunt.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Does it neck dive at all? One thing that deterred me from picking one up is worrying about the guitar looking unbalanced as hell

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
That looks cool as fuck, congrats. The band I was in had a Schecter Hellcat 30" we traded around (bassist bought it, lent it to me, then to the cellist) and none of us gelled with it.

LunatiqueRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does it neck dive at all? One thing that deterred me from picking one up is worrying about the guitar looking unbalanced as hell
It's fine on a strap (Neotech Mega strap). If you jump up and down, eventually it'll become horizontal, but if you don't jump around, it'll stay angled just fine. Sitting without a strap, it'll balance on my right lap horizontally, but it won't stay put if I try to angle it up a bit--I'd need a strap.

Latest posts