NGD/Review: One-off JP custom guitars 7 [Designed/Made in Portugal]

• Thread starter ExhumedShadow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hell-o,

It is about time I share with you my newest and dearest aquisition, a JP masterbuilt 7 stringer, this topic was open a couple of days ago but instead of finishing it I always found myself playing the damn thing :p

It's an instrument I've been concieving shortly after I started playing sevens, it was designed from scratch based on my experience and all the knowledge I gathered from countless research hours.

It is inspired directly by kxk, ibanez, esp, daemoness, jackson and vik, both in terms of design and specs, the rest is stuff I've been wanting to try and that I know suites my playing, I'll go through that in a minute.

You can follow the process of construction in the thread bellow, it took a full year, mostly due to import and supplier issues, that dreaded central american Ziricote...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...tuguese-custom-7-works-tasty-pics-inside.html

The builder:

Jp custom guitars, a portuguese custom shop owned by mister João Pessoa, a real craftsman, he builds any and everything with strings, from double bass to dual neck electric guitar prototypes, passing by our very own portuguesse guitar and obviously seven stringers.

He has been doing this for ages and is a reference in Portugal, a great guy to deal with and very open minded ready to build and help you put you dream insrument together.

There is no CNC involved, he does most of his work by hand with great precision, the carved top he carved for me is astonishing.

I recommend you check their page, in case you want any more info you can also message me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JP-Custom-Guitars/146643012015204?fref=ts

The spec list:

7string, tuned 1step down D-A-F-C-G-D-A (High to low)
neckthu construction
Rga/Daemoness inspired body shape
Kxk inspired reversed headstock
Hand carved curly redwood top
7pc bubinga/black chacate neck
Swamp Ash wings
Ziricote fretboard
Custom wood inlays, "Psy" symbol + jackson inspired triangles
Hipshot fixed bridge
26 6100dunlop frets,
26' scale
Magenta/violet burst stain
Matching headstock
Custom xtra_xtra thin U neck shape
Wax finished 16' radius neck
Birdseye maple neck and hedstock binding
graphite nut
Wilkinson locking tuners
schaller straplocks
Dimarzio Crunlab/liquid fire set
3way lever,
volume pot, tone pot, push-pull to split humbuckers to single coils
kill switch
black metal knobs

I consider as the highlights of this guitar, the birdseye maple bindings that I took from j.custom, the beautiful magenta/violet stained redwood top I kind of stole from Morreales' Vik [sorry dude :p], those 26 frets and obviously the sweet inlay work.

I could go on and on justifying the decision beyond any and every spec, but no one wanna hear that unless it's bulb talking. :bowdown:

Besided all the direct inspiration I had it's a pretty unique instrument that I could not get anywhere else outside a custom shop.

What drove me to ask JP to built it was the need for a 0/no heel neckthru guitar, with a fast thin but not flat unpainted neck, 26 frets, direct mount passives w/ coil splitting, low profile fixed bridge, and a non-black finish, nothing over the top but impossible to find off the shelve.

To seal the deal I got all the nice tonewoods I wanted to make up for a unique sounding guitar with great looks.

Overall quality:

This newborn has some big shoes to fill, it shares my love with a Kxk and a Mayones, but this doens't mean that it is the black sheep, not at all.

I'd place it right in the middle of those, being better in some aspects than one or the other and not as good is a few other aspects.

It's by any evalution possible a high end guitar.

The woodwork is stellar, I'd place it high up, as good as the best you've seen, high grade woods glued in masterfully with no detailed blueprints, just skills.

The carving is unbelievable, it's one thing I love about it, all hand made, days of work with a lamp and a simple toolm the result is something I'd put against a prs.

The fretjob is superb just a notch bellow kxk, but rob is not a human on that behalf, and the fret endings are just as great.

The finish, wow it blows my mind, the colour the depth, it's not as impressive as some of the daemoness's I've seen, but brilliant nevertheless.

The only thing not top notch is the ending of the paintjob where it meets the neck and the polishing, but all very minor issues, only worth mentioning because everything else is spetacular.

The sound:

I'd like to start by saying that I'm not sure about the crunchlab, so I'll stick to pointing the sound that comes from the wood.

That guitar sounds deeeeeeeeeep, the tone is huge, fills the room, the resonance is massive, the sound travels through the wood beutifully.

I'm very happy with the wood combo, it's ballsy and doens't need lots of equing as all the woods clash into a very rich vibrant tone.

Most about sound is subjective, but when I compare it with all the guitar I've had the privilege to play, it does sound more alive, more organic, just plain different, it's like a hi-fi guitar.

Notes:
The price is very fair.
The building time is usually a third.
How awesome is the headtsock?! :p

Let me wrap this up by saying I'm proud of what me and Jp acomplished, we didn't discover the wheel, but managed to create an instrument I can call my own, that sounds, looks and plays like no other guitar out there without
being better or worse.

I'm more than happy to answer any question that you might have about this guitar as it's like a child to me.

Thanks for reading and special thanks for those following this since the early stages.

Here she is poorly photographed by my sorry ass:

Full 69 pics album for you perverts:

ImageShack Album - 69 images

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
God damn, it's like a KxK and an EBMM Petrucci had a baby together. And then the baby started taking steroids. :yesway:

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
A little too much going on in terms of trying to be 5 different guitars.... (5 awesome guitars mind you :lol:) But I still like it :)

A JP/Vik/Daemoness/Jackson/KxK Hybrid :lol:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That body is perfecty balanced and does not show the outrageous growths you often see in superstrats I like it a lot.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Just like many a Brazilian woman, that thing has a beautiful rear end.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
That carve is pretty incredible. Also, excellent choice in color. It's a shame there's so much hardware on the front, but it's your custom. Happy NGD.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Damn dude that clear coat is polished and buffed to perfection. Shiny and clear as hell.
That top is also really cool vs the multiple tiny flames most guitars usually have. The big flame really sets it off.

')