NGD: RGA 8 - lots of pics!

• Thread starter Bboren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
Hey folks! I've been wanting an 8 string for awhile now and I just randomly decided to order this the other day! I got it yesterday and have been figuring it out ever since. I am really digging this guitar so far!

The good: The neck feels wonderful. Nice and thin but not too thin, and very comfortable. It doesn't bother my hands at all and really isn't any harder to play, just different. The double locking bridge is excellent and I couldn't imagine not having the added tuning stability. The body contours are lovely and really help the looks and feel a lot. While you can feel some weight on the neck side of the guitar when strapped up, it is actually very balanced and doesn't slide at all if you take your hands off of it. It really isn't as much of a challenge to play this guitar as I thought it would be (this was actually the first 8 I've ever played) which makes me very happy!

The bad: Obviously from other reviews, I knew the pickups were going to be shit, and they are. Especially on heavy rhythm tones they sound very bad. The lead tones actually aren't bad at all though, and cleans are just ok. The eq switch is pretty bad too and hopefully I can make it a killswitch like many others have once I order some d-activators for this thing.
I'm not sure what string gauge these come with, but they are definitely too small for my taste but that can be fixed quickly.

Overall, a pretty sweet guitar that suits me very well. Can't wait for new pickups though! Check out some pics!

7dda67e7.jpg
0b3a05a0.jpg
92a00743.jpg
4a798a6d.jpg
e8e74a36.jpg
87851684.jpg
Ibby family.
a389d84f.jpg
ffbbc650.jpg
dac1cc53.jpg
1ad65d87.jpg

Rg550 and RGA 8 neck comparison.
ead35d29.jpg
1487906f.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
Very interested in the RGA8 since I can't afford an 2228.
The yellow case makes a great background. :D

Happy NGD!

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I was actually just going to get a schecter omen 8 to see if i even wanted to use an 8 string, but then I said screw it, and I'm happy I did!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
How much did this badboy run you if you don't mind my asking? I've become increasingly more interested in Ibby 8s...

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
The RGA8's scale length is 27" right?

Yea, its the same as my agile 7 also! Really isn't that bad for an 8. I can tune to drop E with the stock strings. The tension is pretty loose on the two low strings but once I get a little bigger string gauges it will work out great.

It ran me right at $800. I couldn't resist getting it. I bought it from American musical supply and they had a 3 part payment plan for it without a credit check and I could just use my debit card. No interest or anything. Plus a 45 day money back guarantee. I decided I needed to try it out once I saw that and I believe it will be staying. I'm so pumped!

I put it in drop E tonight and started learning Wave of Babies by Animals as Leaders :bowdown:

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
The quality isn't bad at all! Just a couple of minuscule finish flaws but thats about it!

Happy NGD! Those look very nice! I'm dying to try an RGA8 out!

Is that an inlaid Ibanez logo?!?!

And your RG550 20th is so nice!:eek:

I believe it is :) and thank you!

turbo

Reaction score
whats the reverse hs7 in the first pic with the maple fb? its not in the other pics!

')