NGD - RGA121H

• Thread starter anunnaki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
So I got this the other day, I bought it off engage757 and it is definitely the best guitar I've ever owned! First off, it is very nice to look at. It's definitely a better finish that the 50 shades of black that Ibanez seems to have out nowadays (well maybe that's just their 7 strings...)
As for the sound, it sounds brilliant. Unplugged it has a nice clear sound and it gets even better when you plug it in! It's a mahogany body so it has a very thick/ dark/ punchy sound, which is awesome for metal and playing clean it has a really nice tone too. The guitar came with a crunchlab in the bridge and a stock ibanez v7 pickup in the neck, but I think I'm going to replace them for a set of Bare Knuckle Black Hawks so that I can get more clarity. I think I may also put this bridge in it:

217706.jpg

EDIT: and I'm not going to cover the guitar with this:
hexis.jpg

Here's some pictures taken by engage757, because I don't have a good camera to take any pics of it with.

DSC_0114_zps92cce589.jpg

DSC_0113_zps0ed80710.jpg

DSC_0112_zpsab693f82.jpg

DSC_0110_zps09c985ef.jpg

DSC_0109_zps3b3fd71f.jpg

DSC_0108_zpse9c2c370.jpg

DSC_0107_zps26786d71.jpg

DSC_0106_zps79271e01.jpg

DSC_0104_zps832f14af.jpg

there's a few more images here:
DSC_0114_zps92cce589.jpg Photo by engage757 | Photobucket

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rikomaru

Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhh that's definitely better than the cherry finish i was expecting :eek: I'm happy people are finding the 121s out there now. Sexy gear man XD

oh and what's that you're talking about covering the bridge with? o_O it won't dampen the strings and stuff?

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhh that's definitely better than the cherry finish i was expecting :eek: I'm happy people are finding the 121s out there now. Sexy gear man XD

oh and what's that you're talking about covering the bridge with? o_O it won't dampen the strings and stuff?

Thanks man! Yeah the RGA121s are so sweet, I was lusting after one after I played my friend's violin finish RGA.

I didn't mean to say put that vinyl on the bridge, I meant that I might cover the guitar with it, it's like a textured vinyl wrap with an alligator skin pattern. I was kind inspired to have a white rga121 after I saw some other guy on here with one. The good thing about the vinyl wrap, is if I ever want a sparkly guitar again I can just remove the vinyl.

Reaction score
By the way, if you want a different sound out of your CrunchLab, reverse it, so the solid bar faces the neck. Gives a warmer and fatter tone that way.

rikomaru

Reaction score
Thanks man! Yeah the RGA121s are so sweet, I was lusting after one after I played my friend's violin finish RGA.

I didn't mean to say put that vinyl on the bridge, I meant that I might cover the guitar with it, it's like a textured vinyl wrap with an alligator skin pattern. I was kind inspired to have a white rga121 after I saw some other guy on here with one. The good thing about the vinyl wrap, is if I ever want a sparkly guitar again I can just remove the vinyl.

ahhhhh i see. that could be a pretty interesting look. Comfy as well, i presume? :O

Edit: nevermind....damn pattern kept making me think of it like a soft pad lol

s4tch

Reaction score
That is sweet.

But for lord's sake, do not cover this finish, and do not sand it either to refinish it. I'd rather buy that body so that you could get a custom white body. That finish is damn too sexy to be destroyed.

Blitzie

Reaction score
This used to be mine :) I put the Crunchlab in it and such. Absolutely amazing guitar :hbang:

Pretty bummed that Zack flipped it the day after he got it from me, but to each his own I suppose:noplease:

Personally, this guitar has a ton of sentimental value to me. I really loved it and I didn't want to get rid of it but I never played it. I wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and I hope that's you.

Please, do not refinish it. This finish is VERY, VERY hard to find and beautiful. I would honestly rather buy it back from you than you refinish it.

Enjoy!:wavey:

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
By the way, if you want a different sound out of your CrunchLab, reverse it, so the solid bar faces the neck. Gives a warmer and fatter tone that way.

I don't think it needs a warmer tone, the mahogany makes it pretty warm anyways

Guys don't worry I'm not planning on doing anything drastic to the finish, If I put on a vinyl wrap it wouldn't damage the finish or anything it would just cover it. If anything the vinyl would protect the finish from getting damaged. If I can get some new hardware that looks good with this finish I may not put on the vinyl.

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
This used to be mine :) I put the Crunchlab in it and such. Absolutely amazing guitar :hbang:

Pretty bummed that Zack flipped it the day after he got it from me, but to each his own I suppose:noplease:

Personally, this guitar has a ton of sentimental value to me. I really loved it and I didn't want to get rid of it but I never played it. I wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and I hope that's you.

Please, do not refinish it. This finish is VERY, VERY hard to find and beautiful. I would honestly rather buy it back from you than you refinish it.

My guess is that I paid a bit more than you sold it for :lol:
I definitely appreciate it seeing as it's my best guitar!
I'm not planning on getting rid of the finish as everyone seems to think...

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Why change the bridge and then cover up that beautiful finish?

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Aother great RGA121 NGD thread. Amazing guitar man.

One day soon all RGA121's ever made will be owned by members of this forum. :metal:

ihunda

Reaction score

Yeah, pick one of the other billions non prestige black ibanez if you want to try a refinish...

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
Why change the bridge and then cover up that beautiful finish?

Well the finish on the bridge is a bit worn away and I think that the schaller bridge looks pretty cool. And I was thinking of covering a guitar with this white alligator vinyl for a while... and now I have a good guitar to do it on... everyone seems to disagree with me though :lol: also there's a few tiny ass scratches that bugged me... maybe I'll have to reconsider if the entire forum will hate me :lol:

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Don't refinish it bro! That color is beautiful! Glad you got it! Forgot you were on this site! Like I told you when I emailed you, pick up a beat up old natural one for refinishing purposes!

Latest posts

')