NGD: RGA321 Blue!

Matt_D_

Reaction score
Thank you guys all so much! I thought I'd give an update on it all. The honeymoon period is over, and it's NOT perfect. It is, however, everything I could ever need. It's heartbreaking for me to admit that it's not the glorious six string I hoped it'd be, but the shape of the neck puts me off and sometimes hurts my hands. It makes it almost tedious to play continuously for long periods of time. But hey, maybe it's just my hands! Any of you guys have better experiences with them? If so, I'd love to hear them!

when i got my RGD it took a little while to get used to playing with the thinner neck. I eventually worked out that i needed my thumb higher up the back of the neck than with my other guitars. and the discomfort i was getting was because my hand was more "pinced" due to the shorted distance between my thumb and my fingers, rather than more relaxed when the thumb's further away.

if it hurts, stop, and find a position that doesnt! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Chris! I just thought I should let you know, by pain, I'm more referring to *discomfort* compared to other guitars I've played. By no means should this be a reason to disregard how great of a guitar this RGA really is! I expected the neck to be similar to that of a RG920QM (the Premium series) and was slightly disappointed to find that the neck was a little bit bigger than I expected it to be.

With that said though, I'm surprised to hear that your Premium isn't up to par! They've seemed pretty consistent for the most part, at least out of the ones that I've played.

This was one of those limited run 721's. I'm not the first one who's commented on the size. I have a 920 that feels perfectly fine and hopefully if it's not delayed, I'll have a 921 tomorrow (the sweetwater deal)

I had a 321 for a short period of time, I wonder, the prestiges are a little wider. I thing the standard premiums are narrower (both the 920 and the 721 are) I think too that they were at least at one time rated 56mm vs prestige which is 58. My three prestiges are all the same width neck wise (though the 1520 is 18-20mm vs the twins which I believe are 17-19mm thickness)

Sorry, I'm rambling. Glad it's not "pain" though :)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
when i got my RGD it took a little while to get used to playing with the thinner neck. I eventually worked out that i needed my thumb higher up the back of the neck than with my other guitars. and the discomfort i was getting was because my hand was more "pinced" due to the shorted distance between my thumb and my fingers, rather than more relaxed when the thumb's further away.

Interesting. It's the basses and the one premium that I get the most discomfort from. But then again, I have really small hands and fingers.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
This was one of those limited run 721's. I'm not the first one who's commented on the size. I have a 920 that feels perfectly fine and hopefully if it's not delayed, I'll have a 921 tomorrow (the sweetwater deal)

I had a 321 for a short period of time, I wonder, the prestiges are a little wider. I thing the standard premiums are narrower (both the 920 and the 721 are) I think too that they were at least at one time rated 56mm vs prestige which is 58. My three prestiges are all the same width neck wise (though the 1520 is 18-20mm vs the twins which I believe are 17-19mm thickness)

My 121, 321, and 2610 were all the same thickness but my s1520 is slightly wider, and I find it a little more comfortable its strange haha

tmfrank

Reaction score

Oh it's plenty fine! Thanks for sharing, I was unaware that there was a limited run, that's really neat! Glad to hear you're enjoying your 920 and are going to be enjoying a 921 soon :)

tmfrank

Reaction score

Quick question about the RGD, since you brought it up. Is it hard to adjust to a 26.5 inch scale? It's really the only thing holding me back from buying the new fixed bridge Prestige RGD that was announced at NAMM. I'd imagine it'd take a little bit of getting used to right?

tmfrank

Reaction score
Gorgeous, how do you like that bridge??

It's really...interesting. A blessing and a curse. It feels good under your hand, but it's such a change of pace for me. However, it's a curse (as opposed to a blessing) when restringing. Nothing is more frustrating than breaking half your set because the ball end kept slipping out from its rightful place under the bridge :wallbash: I'll also say, though, that I'm notoriously bad at string changes. I've always had problems with it. With that said, I think the string slipping is kind of unavoidable...hope that helped!

Griffo

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar! There's one up on eBay at the moment that looks stunning. Costs around £800 ($1200) shipped though so unsure how good of a deal that is.

tmfrank

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar! There's one up on eBay at the moment that looks stunning. Costs around £800 ($1200) shipped though so unsure how good of a deal that is.

Thank you man! And I'm not sure...I've seen then for a third of that price, so I'd hold out if at all possible. But then again, I get GAS just as easily as the next guy, so if you can't help yourself go for it! :lol:

')