NGD: RGR465m - Reverse Headstock Candy

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
I'm back again! My last guitar purchase back in March was kind of an impulse buy - a RGA321f that popped up in a guitar store! I had been searching for a guitar that I missed out on went it was released. The RGR465m. It took me years to actually acquire this. Countless times being out-bid or buyer didn't want to sell. But now, I have it!!

IMG_9472.JPG

Look wise, I consider the RG565 one of the sexiest Ibanez around. An RG loaded with Dimarzios in a H-S configuration, Maple fretboard, Reverse headstock, Candy apple red, early 90s appeal! Whats not to like!

The previous owner had taken real care of this instrument even though he didn't use it that much. These were made in 2010 and this is pretty much in mint condition, not a nick, dent or scratch. Plenty of life in the frets. Only issue I found was that the volume knob was a little loose. So hats off to the previous owner.

The maple fretboard grain is lovely, and I'm actually am preferring the maple fretboard as opposed to rosewood. The 3 piece Wizard 2 neck is beautiful, I am actually preferring it to the RGA321f. This has a little more curve to it, whereas the Wizard prestige is thin flat. It's a noticeable difference, one that I'm enjoying.

IMG_9473.JPG

The basswood body - Now, I own two other Ibanez, RGA321f as I mentioned earlier and a JS1200. What I am actually surprised about is how much it weighs. As soon as I picked it up, it feels on par with the RGA321f. Obviously its not JS1200 light, but was surprised that it's got some weight to it.

The pickups - The Dimarzio Air Norton S and D-activator - I've only had this for a couple of days, The air norton is something that I feel is warm and smooth - It is perfectly adequate. It does it's job.
The D-activator is something I was a bit wary about, wasn't sure if i would like it. But It can squeal. It is nice and thick sounding and the harmonics are just so articulate. I was pleasantly surprised.

The Edge 3 at the moment is doing a great job at holding the strings. Maybe in future, I'll replace it with an edge pro. For now, it'll have to do.

Overall I am really impressed with the build quality, this is an Indonesian made guitar, and it shows a lot of quality, something that has been missing with a lot of guitars recently. The paint finishing is great, it's a little different than my JS1200CA, but the quality it has, and the metallic sparkle give it an x factor. The Neck is fantastic, this is a quality instrument. It doesn't feel cheap at all. Ok, the hardware isn't top of the range, the tuners and tremolo could be upgraded. To me it looks like the Ibanez builders focused on these where it matter. These were going for around £500 brand new in 2010. Thats value for money to me. Its a great instrument. Looks great, feels great, sounds great. It is very quickly becoming my favourite and a welcome edition to my Ibanez Family.

IMG_9471.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Gas for this is through the roof. HNGD!

NateFalcon

Reaction score
Those 25th anniversary RG’s are nice...I guess the builds were overseen by the “Prestige” Japanese builders...nice!

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I have one of the anniversary edition ones and LOVE the tone, its huge!

Last edited:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I remember when they reissued these. They were all in the crazy 80's colors, right? Yellow, red, laser blue.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I LoVe it. I wish they made one with white body and black headstock.
Put Dimarzio Breed in bridge position. You will thank me later ;-)

Reaction score
Those 25th anniversary RG’s are nice...I guess the builds were overseen by the “Prestige” Japanese builders...nice!

I have one of these, I mean aside from the multiple finish flaws, rough routing and dead frets, yeah it's a pretty nice guitar. I still won't sell it though. It's a fun beater guitar.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
I had the same red 25th anniversary and while it wasn’t on par with my Prestige’s, I had none of those problems with mine...?

Dalcan

Reaction score
I've owned two of these, absolutely loved them. I wish they made a 7 string version.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
I LoVe it. I wish they made one with white body and black headstock.
Put Dimarzio Breed in bridge position. You will thank me later ;-)

Yeah, I love it, It's just a fun guitar to play.

I'm happy with the D Activator, but a Breed might be more suited to the wood. If i have the spare bucks and time, I might look into it to breed new blood into it.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
These were only sold outside Japan but I did see a used one pop up here before... Too bad I already had my RG5000 with red dot inlays or I woulda thought about it. For reverse headstocks I have my RGR580 and Cobran F-G2 so I basically have all my bases covered :)

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Love these. They just scream 80's and that maple board with reverse headstock... What's not to love, indeed!

I hope I'll find one of these myself someday.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
These were only sold outside Japan but I did see a used one pop up here before... Too bad I already had my RG5000 with red dot inlays or I woulda thought about it. For reverse headstocks I have my RGR580 and Cobran F-G2 so I basically have all my bases covered :)

I hope they keep adding on the genesis collection - giving us the variants.

Love these. They just scream 80's and that maple board with reverse headstock... What's not to love, indeed!

I hope I'll find one of these myself someday.

Maybe Ibanez will take the initiative and release the RG565 Genesis in 2019!!