NGD: RRR Custom (MX-250 Type)

feilong29

Reaction score
51146005339_bece0589ce_h.jpg

51146005349_d8e3e3913d_h.jpg

51146005459_36645b60be_h.jpg

I think I found some posts about RRR guitars on here whilst doing research, so I hope there won't be any angst regarding the style/shape haha. But, after trying to find or considering purchasing an Explorer/MX kind of guitar, I was wrestling with settling for an Edwards EX model or dropping cash on over-priced EXP-200s ($3k for some of them...) and ended up finding this for a good deal. I've seen that RRR is pretty well-known on the ESP Forums, so I figured if he got praise there, then he was a legit and professional builder.

I used to hate the EX-shape...but it started growing on me over the years. I have never played an ESP MX-series, so I have nothing to reference, but this guitar plays really great, feels like a CS and resonates like crazy when unplugged. This one has the EMG 81/60 combo, so you know I had to put some Metallica dust on it!

Specs:
  • EMG 81 (bridge) and 60 (neck)
  • Tone Pros locking bridge and tail piece
  • Hipshot locking tuners
  • Ebony fretboard
  • Mahogany body
  • Mahogany neck
  • Extra Jumbo Fret wires
  • MOP dot inlays
  • The controls area volume & volume
  • All black hardware
  • Weight is 7.2lbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Awesome. I recently contacted Rob for a build. He’s got a backlog, but I’ll happily wait. HNGD!

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Wow...haven't heard of RRR in years...since the ESP board "upgraded" and I bailed. Good to see he's still around. Had a good reputation.
Congrats!

død

Reaction score
Really cool seeing Rob’s still building guitars, I remember him from the ESP boards 10-15 years ago. Your guitar looks awesome, man, congrats!

feilong29

Reaction score
Thanks y`all! Glad that Rob is so well-known. I didn`t know anything until discovered this guitar but am glad I got the hook-up. I was playing along to (please don't judge me...) Nothing Else Matters and via a Kemper Rig, my tone sounded basically like the audio lol. It's a first, to have a "rig" like an actual artist and sound the same. Kirk Hammett, I'm taking your job!!!

feilong29

Reaction score
Which profile were you using?

There is a "Dr James...." profile on the Rig Exchange, and there was another couple I found for cleans and gain; I'll PM you after class when I have a chance to look it up for ya bro.

feilong29

Reaction score
Well thank God it's not from some shady Chinese knockoff builder or worse, a Ran.

Awesome guitar though!

Lol, I watched a YouTube video of a guy who got an MX-250 knock-off from China. It's funny how they always start out with "It feels and plays very nice for being a knock-off..." and then some time later, the laundry list of issues it has or had to be/can't be fixed.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Thanks y`all! Glad that Rob is so well-known. I didn`t know anything until discovered this guitar but am glad I got the hook-up. I was playing along to (please don't judge me...) Nothing Else Matters and via a Kemper Rig, my tone sounded basically like the audio lol. It's a first, to have a "rig" like an actual artist and sound the same. Kirk Hammett, I'm taking your job!!!
Wah operator.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Rob basically had enough standing from the esp forum that I don’t even think he needed to branch out much. Also built some Eclipses and Horizons that were killer looking too.
What’s the neck profile like?

feilong29

Reaction score
Rob basically had enough standing from the esp forum that I don’t even think he needed to branch out much. Also built some Eclipses and Horizons that were killer looking too.
What’s the neck profile like?

I'll say it's a D-shaped neck; not thick like a Schecter, but not thin like a Wizard. Kind of feels like the shape of my Caparison Angelus neck.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That dude made some kickass guitars from back in the ESP forum heyday, congrats on the new axe dude!

ClownShoes

Reaction score
Wow...haven't heard of RRR in years...since the ESP board "upgraded" and I bailed. Good to see he's still around. Had a good reputation.
Congrats!
How to ruin a community in one easy step. Way to go ESP!

Ignoramus

Reaction score
HNGD OP. Amusing to see so many former ESP forum dudes here. Rob had a very good standing there, and this guitar is no exception to his luthier chops.

Latest posts

')