NGD - Ruokangas Hellcat Artist 7 string

• Thread starter makka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

makka

Reaction score
OK so long time listener, first time caller here on SSO. Lots of cool posts to read but I've never really had anything interesting to say so an NGD sounds like a great topic for my first post.

I already own a second hand RG7620 which was my first introduction to 7 strings and I've had that for a number of years. I was looking for a 7 string that could do a few more “tricks”. I considered an EBMM JP7 but there were things about them that I didn't like so I started talking to some builders about a custom instrument.

To cut a long story short through a fortunate chain of events the search ended with me talking to Juha Ruokangas and his small and highly talented team at Ruokangas guitars in Finland.

I suspect he was a bit surprised at my specifications but he took in his stride and after lots of fun discussion and challenging work they produced this beauty (pics are from his talented wife Emma since any pics I take simply can't do the guitar justice)

25.jpg

26.jpg

There's an article on the creation of the guitar here along with a bunch more photos. Gives an idea of some of the challenges faced (thanks Juha for taking the project on :).

So some of the special features I was looking for...

• GraphTech Piezo system in the bridge running to a stereo jack. I wanted to avoid having a second jack drilled into the guitar preferring to use a Y split cable instead
  • Tremol-no unit to lock the bridge
  • Two EVH D-Tunas – one for the low B and the other for the low E. These work incredibly well in conjunction with the Tremol-no. I'm really amazed how accurate the tuning change is for both strings when flicking back and forth between the two modes. I was a bit nervous the low B wouldn't work that accurately but it works great!
  • Blower switch to switch to the bridge pickup from any pick up combo
  • There's also push/pull pots for a coil tap and dark/bright option for piezo. The latter was a surprise option Juha slipped in and that works nicely
  • The back is finished in satin nitro for that “woody” feeling

You'd think all those options would be over the top but it all just works without requiring a degree to operate :)

Massive thanks to Juha and the team for both your patience and producing my dream guitar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful!

I'm actually surprised we don't see more Ruokangas guitars around this place. The top wood they use (arctic birch) has some of my very favorite figuring, such as this baby:

defenceofsampo1.jpg

Congrats on an awesome guitar! Also love the piezo, maybe record some clips of how it sounds!

Great first post, by the way! Welcome to SSO! :wavey:

_Mick_

Guitar Tech
Reaction score
That looks absolutely amazing dude! Double D-Tuna would be sweet as! Happy NGD, killer top, killer guitar.

Timelesseer

Reaction score
Love the top on it! Looks great man. Very cool running the dual D-Tuna's, I would never think to do something like that.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
That looks beautiful! Great specs, great execution. HNGD!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Beautiful!

I'm actually surprised we don't see more Ruokangas guitars around this place.
They're on the expensive side and in Europe, and not that well known, same as Amfisound I've seen three amfisound NGDs total here including mine I guess. ^^
They're mostly in the 4KUS$ range so it's understandable.

Happy NGD to the OP, guitar looks good and the features are excellent.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
That Blower Switch idea is brilliant!

Beautiful guitar! HNGD and welcome! Way to make a first impression :lol:

Couple of questions: what is your exact address, what is your line of work and what working hours do you have on a given day? :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Excellent first post! :)

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Very nice to see some Ruokangas love here beside all the Blackmachines and Mayoneses! I once took my guitar to Juha to polish the frets and put some new strings and he did very nice job for a good price. I would love to own a Ruokangas custom someday but they're really pricey. :rolleyes:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar man! I love watching Juha's YouTube channel, lot's of interesting insight into his build/design process.

Latest posts

')