NGD Rusti Guitars Lotus #1 headless

nickgray

Reaction score
letters.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Hey! I'm sorry man!
That was A LONG ago and my guitars surely got a lot better but i honestly thought i did a good job back then. First time i've used stainless steel frets now that i remember.
Were they sticking out of the fretboard? Did the fretboard shrink?
My bad.

<3

For sure, it was ages ago. I don't think it was a fretboard shrinkage thing, the fret protrusion wasn't uniform and the ends were pretty rough. It being your first time with SS frets scans - it was a lesson for me also to commission luthiers to do what they're used to rather than being a guinea pig. At any rate, I can see that you're doing the opposite with fret ends now, so I have no hard feelings!

I will say tho that the electronics + active piezo circuit were a mess to sort through when I switched pickups to active. I hope either you are using a different guy for electronics, or that he is using better parts + technique now.

The XEN is my least comfortable guitar to play but it is super resonant and sounds thunderous down in C#0. The slice of walnut you picked for the top has aged beautifully as well. Cheers

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Seeing the additional explanation and pictures from Rusti as well as the OPs messages about removing and fiddling around with the trem multiple times, I'm not surprised it didn't work as expected from some point. Some call it the "repaired to death syndrome".

To be honest though, it seems like an overly complex design trying to fix issues that never existed in the first place. As we all know, adding complexity is almost always the source for more errors instead of a real solution. That's probbaly why the big players still go with the established trem systems to this day.

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
For sure, it was ages ago. I don't think it was a fretboard shrinkage thing, the fret protrusion wasn't uniform and the ends were pretty rough. It being your first time with SS frets scans - it was a lesson for me also to commission luthiers to do what they're used to rather than being a guinea pig. At any rate, I can see that you're doing the opposite with fret ends now, so I have no hard feelings!

I will say tho that the electronics + active piezo circuit were a mess to sort through when I switched pickups to active. I hope either you are using a different guy for electronics, or that he is using better parts + technique now.

The XEN is my least comfortable guitar to play but it is super resonant and sounds thunderous down in C#0. The slice of walnut you picked for the top has aged beautifully as well. Cheers
Thanks for your honest feedback.

I can assure that frets were not sharp anymore. However, frets were not long enough to make sure that frets do not easily fall off from the fretboard for the e-string. The semi-hemispherical ends made this issue even worse.

Not sure whether Rusti plays guitar at all and notices this issue during soloing, but I would call the fret-end dressing not very functional and rather "flashy" in order to make people think the guitars are better than others. Not true. Furthermore, these semi-hemispherical fret ends are not dressed by hand, but by machine. So much to "I make my guitars by HAND" (do not forget the massive use of CNC: when I told my friend about this, he asked me "then why isn't he calling himself a CNC guy instead of luthier, just like the other guy is the electronics guy, the paint job guy…"). Also to come back to the "does not play guitar", I guess if he seriously did, he would have noticed your issue straight away.

I am impressed you kept your cool! But I guess it was a different story. I also was compliant for a long time. The chat logs you see earlier were when things really fell apart and I had to become serious. Lesson learnt, just do not buy when you are into quality up to the details.

EDIT: If I had your feedback on issues with frets, electronics back then when I looked for a guitar, I think I would not have chosen Rusti Guitars. Issues are still repeating itself, just think of the messed up electronics I had. They were not "not good-looking enough", they were just faulty from the start. Also shady that Rusti Guitars calls himself a 1-man workshop, although so much is outsourced. Rusti Guitars even outsourced my inlay job and now argues "IT WAS MY FIRST TIME WITH SUCH AN INLAY!". You get how that does not add up?

Last edited:

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
Now your fight is with luthiers that use CNC machines? It never ends.
Nope, only the ones who argue "it is handmade, of course there will be issues", while they use high-tech precision equipment to manufacture their guitars and mostly do some sanding and fret polishing by hand.

ikarus

Reaction score
dude please stop, you dig your idiot hole even deeper. No one can take you serious at this point anymore.

You obviously have no clue how CNC is used in modern guitar production and what the important handmade steps are. Otherwise you wouldnt have started with such a ridiculous argument.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Nope, only the ones who argue "it is handmade, of course there will be issues", while they use high-tech precision equipment to manufacture their guitars and mostly do some sanding and fret polishing by hand.

You think just because there's a CNC machine, you press a button and a 95% finished guitar pops out?

I don't mind posting because I can just about look at this photo for forever, but a CNC doesn't do these sorts of insane details for you:

167000280_3878692218820860_8091934264763198909_n.jpg

There used to be some good threads on the topic here, and I remember especially some famous luthier explaining how little a CNC actually helps, but I forgot who. Someone else is going to have to infer what I'm talking about and post it though. But the short of it is, your argument sucks. Lots of "handmade" guitars use CNC (and even use other tools!), while still calling themselves and being handmade instruments.

For instance, you remember when that guy came out and said that PRS private stock was the real quality? PRS private stock are made using CNC.

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
You think just because there's a CNC machine, you press a button and a 95% finished guitar pops out?

I don't mind posting because I can just about look at this photo for forever, but a CNC doesn't do these sorts of insane details for you:

There used to be some good threads on the topic here, and I remember especially some famous luthier explaining how little a CNC actually helps, but I forgot who. Someone else is going to have to infer what I'm talking about and post it though. But the short of it is, your argument sucks. Lots of "handmade" guitars use CNC (and even use other tools!), while still calling themselves and being handmade instruments.

For instance, you remember when that guy came out and said that PRS private stock was the real quality? PRS private stock are made using CNC.
Sorry to see that you are still arguing with these shiny pics, which were also used to advertise my (actually crappy) build. :)

And I am not saying that CNC does the full job, but it does a lot. Carving body / neck, routing stuff, etc…
The things which are done by hand, such as nut-slot filing, maybe some binding work, are executed not so great on Rusti Guitars in my opinion. Nut slot on my guitar was nothing special and actually the nut slots could have been much more precisely done.

Last edited:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
dude please stop, you dig your idiot hole even deeper. No one can take you serious at this point anymore.

You obviously have no clue how CNC is used in modern guitar production and what the important handmade steps are. Otherwise you wouldnt have started with such a ridiculous argument.
Since when has knowing what they're talking about been a requirement for DirtyPuma's posts?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads...nc-and-timeframes-etc-interesting-read.41039/

Is Ron Thorn a big deal? I wouldn't know because I don't own a PRS PS or Fender Custom Shop guitar.

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
https://www.sevenstring.org/threads...nc-and-timeframes-etc-interesting-read.41039/

Is Ron Thorn a big deal? I wouldn't know because I don't own a PRS PS or Fender Custom Shop guitar.
You are not good at argumentation it seems, because you are always trying to disprove A by B, although B has nothing to do with A.

A guitar build, fully done by hand, takes much more time than a CNC.
The CNC part in your link is a total of 5 hours and something. Imagine how much work that is on a truly hand-build guitar. And there are builders out there who do that. With superb results compared to Rusti Guitars. Although Rusti Guitars uses CNC. CNC = precision. Maybe you got it now.

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
Orders guitar. “Man, look at all this issues! This thing is fucked up!”

A little later. “FS, *DEAD MINT*”
Ah come on. It seems you do not get this. Not I sold the guitar. Rusti Guitars sold that piece of crap to someone else. I was handed the money.

ye.png

Latest posts

')