NGD Rusti Guitars Lotus #1 headless

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Rusti is adamant that the guitar was / is fine, up to this day. šŸ¤” He also sold it (with the fucked up trem routing) to another customer. Interesting how nobody is interested in that fact. In my case: I just wanted to get rid of the guitar, and it seems at least some people DO think that the guitar is "nice and that is just how custom guitars are". Rusti told me that I shall tell customers that the guitar is fine. I asked him this specific question. šŸ¤”

im just having a bit of fun with the memes...

i understand you being upset about the trem issue and the sound...i would not be happy about it either. i think most here would agree.

i think you lost many with the for sale ad. i understand rusti told you everything was ok, but not mentioning what you thought were faults made it seem disingenuous for others here.

saying everything rusti built because you were unsatisfied with your guitar was not right either. especially in light of all the happy customers he has. the builds ive seen look very nice too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Halffarmer

Reaction score
Without wanting to defend anyone and especially disliking being dishonest about problems on used gear:
How can you guys mock the OP for pages that he is unreasonable with his perception of quality on this instrument and that it is fine, side with the builder without playing or seeing the guitar, and then tell the OP how wrong he is, trying to sell an instrument that you just deemed perfectly fine?

All these threads here about custom builds gone wrong just show me, that I'll better stick to production guitars and customize them myself with parts/pickups that I want. Way cheaper, way easier to resell, way less problematic overall.

xzacx

Reaction score
Without wanting to defend anyone and especially disliking being dishonest about problems on used gear:
How can you guys mock the OP for pages that he is unreasonable with his perception of quality on this instrument and that it is fine, side with the builder without playing or seeing the guitar, and then tell the OP how wrong he is, trying to sell an instrument that you just deemed perfectly fine?
This logic is incredibly flawed. Ignoring the many missed points here and the fact that most people acknowledged SOME issues, the people ā€œsaying it was fineā€ werenā€™t the ones selling it. The guy saying it had all the problems was the one that was selling it, and he didnā€™t mention them in his ad. This means he was either full of shit about there being problems, or full of shit about it being mint with no issues disclosed.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score

All these threads here about custom builds gone wrong just show me, that I'll better stick to production guitars and customize them myself with parts/pickups that I want. Way cheaper, way easier to resell, way less problematic overall.
All of this stuff reflects on him because he actually did it, we're just chatting shit as disinterested observers.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

As with most any discussion on the internet, it's not about whether he's right or wrong, it's about his being an unreasonable asshole flailing around desperately trying to win an argument that everyone else stopped having dozens of pages ago, and becoming ever more unhinged with the insults and recriminations.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

I think your description of how the thread unfolded is completely inaccurate.

There's multiple revolving issues:

OP Receiving a guitar with issues and flaws, OP's weirdly combative attitude, OP being dishonest in his attempt to sell the guitar to someone else, and now his story wildly changing every other post.

No one sided with Rusti on the initial receipt of the guitar, but some now do because the claims of not offering warranty repair were false. To the public, OP's belligerent attitude and snake like behavior with the listing and justification for how he listed it turned the negativity towards him.

Also hiding behind "have you played the guitar" is such a meme way to handwave criticisms, you don't have to play a guitar to validate objective observations that the OP laid out with a microscope in the first page.

That's the issue, the instrument was NOT fine. OP complained since he received the guitar about paint issues, trem alignment, fretwork, electronics issues, and parts failure since he got the guitar. He was not ignorant to its issues, it doesn't matter if Rusti said the guitar was "perfect" (Which was never proven), those kind of justifications only make him look infinitely worse since HE decided to sell the guitar as "mint".

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score

its an integrity issue to me. If I had an instrument I thought was flawed in so many ways, even with other people telling me it wasn't, I'd still disclose what I thought was wrong when selling it.

If the guy can afford to buy $5k guitars like they're nothing, then he can afford taking a hit on something he deemed so shitty.

Halffarmer

Reaction score
That's the issue, the instrument was NOT fine.
After 30 pages of BS and so many "I want a rusty now"-posts it didn't seem that people thought this way, because the instrument is obviously flawed (and people shouldn't kid themselves, e.g. no furniture maker would get away with that much pitting in the inlay work and these finish problems asking full price. If you tell your customers, that it can't be perfect because it's handmade, you won't have anymore customers rather soon).

But as I said, I don't want to defend anyone, selling broken stuff and without describing the problems is beyond shady, and the "interesting" personality of the OP is obvious.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
If you tell your customers, that it can't be perfect because it's handmade, you won't have anymore customers rather soon).

Yeah Iā€™d probably still want a Rusti (if I ever had the absolute insane disposable income), considering this is genuinely the first time Iā€™ve ever heard any egregious issues, which seems to have already been rectified, model wise (not my cup of tea anyway). Those inlay/finish points are so insignificant, Iā€™d be incredibly hard pressed to call them issues, even at that price, which the inlay work in-and-of-itself is already extraordinary.

And yes, that is exactly what handmade can entail, even with CNC assistance (Iā€™d like to stress that assistance part). I donā€™t understand why people think handmade is inherently more ā€œperfectā€ than a large production factory spec thatā€™s been locked down and replicated ad nauseum, especially with decent QC. Youā€™re buying boutique one-offs. Ignoring the fact that Rustiā€™s output has been typically nothing short of stellar.

nickgray

Reaction score

Pretty sure most people agreed that the guitar has issues to one extent or another.

The far more important point is that OP believed it has issues, and then told fuck all when it came time to sell the guitar.

Of course. There's zero sense in buying a riced out custom, it's a completely frivolous purchase. I can understand wanting a custom for specific specs for ergonomic reasons (just technical reasons in general, not because of aesthetics and certainly not rice), but that's just what makes it extra funny - OP had randomly bought a stereotypical "modern" custom for god knows what reasons (I bet you it's not for playing Iron Maiden covers).

AboutBlank

Reaction score
(and people shouldn't kid themselves, e.g. no furniture maker would get away with that much pitting in the inlay work and these finish problems asking full price. If you tell your customers, that it can't be perfect because it's handmade, you won't have anymore customers rather soon).
Ever looked at a Persian carpet under the microscope?
This whole "industry" has not only been very successful for a short time...

DirtyPuma

Reaction score
Pretty sure most people agreed that the guitar has issues to one extent or another.

The far more important point is that OP believed it has issues, and then told fuck all when it came time to sell the guitar.

Of course. There's zero sense in buying a riced out custom, it's a completely frivolous purchase. I can understand wanting a custom for specific specs for ergonomic reasons (just technical reasons in general, not because of aesthetics and certainly not rice), but that's just what makes it extra funny - OP had randomly bought a stereotypical "modern" custom for god knows what reasons (I bet you it's not for playing Iron Maiden covers).
Actually, I was only looking for a decent headless with a trem, since they are in general lighter and smaller than normal guitars. Iron Maiden stuff is cool and something I would definitely play with that thing. When having a lot to spend then why not have something which not only has the technical specs down for playing but also looks special.

Up to this day Rusti Guitars uses pics of that guitar as profile pic. That says much about how representative of his quality that guitar is actually is. In the end I was mainly unhappy with the technical specs not being OK, not the cosmetics. There were integral issues in how the guitar was realized on Rusti's part.

In case any buyer would not have been OK with something he bought from me I would try my best to find a compromise. Different from what Rusti Guitars did. He could not even afford to discount the guitar, while I sold the same thing, with additional pups, fixed switch at much lowet price. In case the potential customer objected the guitar, which was actually mint (= nearly same condition as "new"), I would have no problem to further discount.

Furthermore, this whole post was just to show people what quality one can expect from Rusti Guitars. There are not many honest / detailed reviews online. I was quite surprised to see so many issues on that guitar when all he is showing in his marketing stuff are flashy tops / binding and semi hemispherical frets.

Of course, I have to make this thread into an opera / comedy, otherwise not many would have noticed it. That's what you got to do in order to make people notice something. Now, we have a 30 page thread with my review on the first page, how could this get more attention? It played out well. No interest in collecting 7 k posts on a forum. Was here for that one review thread. šŸ«”

Last edited:

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Reaction score
FWIW the fretboard pitting I have actually seen before on other guitars where the inlays were CNC'd by a orangutang or the fretboard had grains/knots lift up leaving a crevice, and then they filled the space with CA glue doped up with coloring or sawdust. The hole/pitting that results though in this example is the consequence of a bubble in the filler that rose to the surface because the application was rushed or not done correctly. It's a bandaid for bad work, and then done badly. Or it's some typical mentioned imperfection that wasn't taken care of at all, hard to tell from the pics, but either way not good.

I think it's a tie between what is more atrocious, the workmanship on the guitar or how the buyer handled it. Been a hilarious thread by the end of it, though.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I think it's a tie between what is more atrocious, the workmanship on the guitar or how the buyer handled it. Been a hilarious thread by the end of it, though.
If we're keeping score it does look like Rusti made some changes to design/processes in response to the situation while the OP is....still the OP.

')