NGD - S6527SKFX Prestige

• Thread starter SalsaWood
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Snagged another example of my favorite Ibanez model. I try to jump on these whenever they come up for sale if I can. The S6527/5527 were the first higher tier guitar models I was ever able to afford and they are the best shredders I've ever played so now I like to collect them. Anyways, behold...my stuff.

20230328_214326sm.jpg

20230328_213948sm.jpg

20230328_213123sm.jpg

The Oak tops on these can vary a great deal, as you can see. I'm stoked as hell to now have great representations of the lace and flame figuring they can come with. As my GF calls it, "stripes and polka dots". The marbling of the rosewood can vary a great deal as well, a lot more than the tops. This one isn't so much marbled, but it does have some interesting coloration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those are sick! When are they from and did they make many?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@Crungy These 6527SKFX (sunburst) are from model year 2017 only unfortunately. They're not too common but they are out there, I usually see only a few a year up for sale. Even fewer of the S5527QFX Prestiges which are basically the same guitar with gold hardware, a quilted maple top, no marbled board, and purple or green reverse burst color from model year 2014 through 2016. Then there are the S6527MFFX with a flame maple top and maple board from model year 2018 which I have never seen for sale used. All of them are MIJ Prestiges, unknown to me how many of each were produced but they're not exceptionally rare just uncommon.

Reaction score
Those are goregous, really, and the newer one specially.

... and that's the kind of guitar I'm missing in my collection, a Prestige level, hardtail Ibanez S series... to pair with my S5527 LoPro loaded one...

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I don't know what model of Dimarzio these are, but they sound really good. The neck PU is a little too crisp on the top end for my liking, but it's a lot of fun to get full sounding pinch harmonics from the neck. The bridge feels the same way, but with lots of low mids making it sound pretty massive.

PO was playing in some low tuning guessing from the intonation. I want to say it's a D'Activator set with a flipped bridge, but I forgot to look when I had the strings off. It's what I would pick in that case at least. I have a D'activator bridge and Ionizer neck somewhere I was going to swap in. Not sure I need to now.

T_Gobbs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never seen a guitar with an oak top before. Looks awesome. HNGD!

yuki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Different, but both beautiful!

I love the S body shape. Really wish Ibanez would pay more attention to that line

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It seems like the S shape is popular enough to warrant making more of them - if there was a simple 7-string S prestige without any wacky bursts or colours, I'd be all over that. My S7420 has been my main guitar since I got it, I always return to it, it just "fits" me well - so a prestige version of that would be awesome.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
There's a multiscale 6 string Saber (with standard unslanted pickups wtf), but not a 7 string Saber right now. The 7 string S models from any year is a pretty slim number, too.

I think that it appeals more to the fusion or prog crowd instead of rock and metal like the RG does. There's a lot of variance in the models and submodels with the S/SZ/SZR/SA/SV as well. It kind of seems like a model line that Ibanez has never really known what to do with.

Latest posts

')