NGD: Schecter Blackjack SLS-7

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Touching a metal part on my amp does have the same effect as touching a knob on the guitar. I also tested through my Eleven Rack and the noise is still there (again, only on the bridge pickup), even on the cleanest of settings. Same issue, the noise disappears when touching a knob or pot on the guitar, and also when touching the jack on the Eleven Rack.

I talked to Sweetwater, and they're saying that if I swap the pickups it will void the warranty...but they were ok with me resoldering the bridge pickup ground wire to the volume pot. Go figure.

So what did they suggest then? They should definitely be offering you some kind of repair or compensation for you to get the issue fixed. Could be a fault in the pickup itself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told my sales engineer that I thought it was ridiculous that unplugging a quick connect pickup would void a warranty if resoldering something wouldn't, and he said he would double check with their techs and see if they will let me swap the neck and bridge pickups to see if the pickup is faulty.

I'm thinking it is definitely the pickup, or the pot could be bad. But swapping pickups will determine which is at fault, and thus save me from having to ship the guitar back and risk shipping damage. They will still accept the guitar for a refund or switch with another one.

I really do want to hang on to this one though because it really is flawless save for the electronics issue. I'd hate to get a different one and it have some sort of minor finish flaw or fret issue that seem to be somewhat common in the sub $1000 price range. The acoustic tone of this instrument is really good as well, which doesn't always happen either.

Splenetic

Reaction score
Goddamn i want the blue version of that guitar...with those offset inlays. Unnnnnghtttlxkadsadg,masdgfjkfb.. ...sorry.

Red is sexy too.

b7string

Reaction score
Too bad about your pickup issue :( but that aside, and I never thought I'd say this, that is a NICE schecter! I sympathize, I wouldn't want to send it back either. I hope it works out!

oversteve

Reaction score
Well, that really sounds like the grounding issue, not with the guitar but with the whole setup, but it just really strange that other passive pups don't make any sound since they should in such a situation :scratch:
I have the same issue at home since don't have the amp grounded, it is noisy with the passives untill touching some metal and no noise with EMG's, can't say anything about Blackouts but I assume they should be similar or somewhere near to EMG's.
If by any chance it happens so that this is not a pickup issue and such a behaviour is common for Blackouts then the eaisiest solution is to ground the bridge so that you won't have any noise whenever you touch the strings.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that really sounds like the grounding issue, not with the guitar but with the whole setup, but it just really strange that other passive pups don't make any sound since they should in such a situation :scratch:

It's definitely not an issue with my whole setup, as all 7 of my other guitars don't have this issue.

If anything in the circuit isn't grounded, then I would expect that touching any piece of metal, whether on the guitar or the amp, would stop the buzz.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
I am swimming in my own drool right now...that thing looks incredibly sexy

Reaction score
Just received my first seven string today.
hu10d.jpg

oversteve

Reaction score
It's definitely not an issue with my whole setup, as all 7 of my other guitars don't have this issue.

If anything in the circuit isn't grounded, then I would expect that touching any piece of metal, whether on the guitar or the amp, would stop the buzz.

But it's exactly what you've told in your previous post - touching metal part does the same as touching the knob, so that means that noise goes away, or did I misunderstand you?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what is happening, but only for my new Schecter, and even then only when the bridge pickup is selected.

So it can't be an issue with the whole setup.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked with Schecter to see if there would be any warranty issues by swapping pickups, and they said there was not, and encouraged me to. Turns out the issue is with the pickup itself. Swapped for an EMG 81-7 I got in the mail today the problem disappeared. I'm working with Schecter for a warranty replacement of the defective bridge Blackout.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I checked with Schecter to see if there would be any warranty issues by swapping pickups, and they said there was not, and encouraged me to. Turns out the issue is with the pickup itself. Swapped for an EMG 81-7 I got in the mail today the problem disappeared. I'm working with Schecter for a warranty replacement of the defective bridge Blackout.

Good hear you're working on a solution with Schecter. Figured it was something with the internals of the pickup itself after you confirmed everything was wired correctly, especially since the neck pup was not having any issues.
Good luck with everything!

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome guitar. I have one in blue with the duncan full shred and it is my all time favorite guitar.

Latest posts

')