NGD: Schecter Blackjack SLS-7

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received my first seven string today. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but so far I'm very pleased.

The build quality is excellent, and the fretwork is perfect. The neck profile is way thinner than any of my other guitars so it will certainly take some getting used to, but it is very comfortable.

There is one issue that is a bit frustrating seeing as this is a brand new guitar...

I think there is a grounding issue with the bridge pickup. When only the neck pickup is on, everything sounds normal, but when just the bridge pickup is selected or both pickups are selected, there is a loud buzzing/humming sound unless I touch one of the tone or volume knobs.

Anyway, on to the pics. I'll take some when I get a chance, but here are the ones from Sweetwater of my guitar.

W13081188-body-large.jpg

W13081188-front-large.jpg

W13081188-angle-large.jpg

W13081188-detail1-large.jpg

W13081188-detail2-large.jpg

W13081188-detail3-large.jpg

W13081188-backbody-large.jpg

W13081188-back-large.jpg

W13081188-serial-large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stangstag

Reaction score
Congrats man! I have an SLS 8 string and it is an awesome guitar. It does sound like there is some sort of shielding problem with your pickup though, because mine are not like that.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Sick guitar, no skull inlay too! <3

Definitely put up some actual pics asap :-D

Sorry to hear that you're having noise issues with the bridge pup, I'm sure it'll be an easy fix though.

Congrats!

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick guitar, no skull inlay too!

Yeah I was interested in this model since it was first released but wrote it off because I hated that skull inlay, so as soon as I saw that Sweetwater had one in stock without that inlay that had a nice looking top I jumped on it.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Hey congrats on the 1st 7!! :) Definitely sounds like a ground issue. Take it by your local tech and see if it can be fixed fairly cheaply - if not then contact Sweetwater about an exchange or another resolution. It should not buzz/hum. Good luck!!

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I contacted Sweetwater, and they suggested that I resolder the bridge pickup grounds, which I have done and the issue still persists. Very frustrating. I think its going to have to go back to Sweetwater... They really advertise their 55 point inspection, but this guitar must not have gotten it.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Weird. Sorry to hear that you're having pup problems with an otherwise great guitar. Haven't heard of this issue before with Schecter's in this price range.

I don't know much about SweetWater or ordering guitars on the net but hopefully SW makes things easy for you and you get your guitar back all fixed up.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the solder joints are solid, and the wiring matches the diagram on SD's site. I resoldered the bridge pickup ground on the bridge volume pot per Sweetwater's recommendation, but still have that ungrounded noise when the bridge pickup is active. This is beyond frustrating because I feel like it should be a simple wiring fix, but nothing appears to be wired incorrectly. Is it possible the pickup itself is the issue?

Awaiting response from Sweetwater at this point after resoldering the ground on the bridge volume.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
All the solder joints are solid, and the wiring matches the diagram on SD's site. I resoldered the bridge pickup ground on the bridge volume pot per Sweetwater's recommendation, but still have that ungrounded noise when the bridge pickup is active. This is beyond frustrating because I feel like it should be a simple wiring fix, but nothing appears to be wired incorrectly. Is it possible the pickup itself is the issue?

Awaiting response from Sweetwater at this point after resoldering the ground on the bridge volume.

It could be the pickup itself. I ordered an EMG 81X/60X a few years back and the 60X made a constant "hush" noise. It was definitely wired correctly because when I received the replacement, all I did was plug it in via the quick connect and it worked perfectly. Good luck getting it sorted, cool axe :hbang:

oversteve

Reaction score
try to swap the bridge and neck pickup by quick connect leaving all the soldering stuff intact and see if there is still an issue.

Also is the noise disappearing with touching any pot or metal parts or only some specific ones?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
It disappears when touching any knob, pot, and the input jack. Noise does not go away when touching the bridge.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea about swapping the 2 pickups. I'll try that tonight when I get home. Thanks!

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
I absolutely love my C7 Blackjack ATX. This one is VERY similar. Great guitars!!! Enjoy

oversteve

Reaction score
That is fine with the active pups since bridge is usually not soldered to the common ground.
Try touching some metal parts on your amp, will it do the same as touching the knob on guitar? Also did you try plugging the guitar into some other amp or some other guitar (not with EMG's) into this amp? Also is there a possibility that the neck pup has some noise as well just not that loud as the bridge pup?

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 7 other guitars, 6 with passive pickups, and one with EMGs. None of the others have this issue. I'm not at home at the moment so I can check to see if touching metal on the amp had the effect later.

The neck pickup doesn't hum/buzz at all, even when the volume on the amp is pushed way up. I have a 6505+.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
are the pickups grounded? actives dont need to be grounded so if its grounded, that might mess things up

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are wired exactly like SD's diagram for Blackouts. Grounding an active pickup isn't required but SD recommends it.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try touching some metal parts on your amp, will it do the same as touching the knob on guitar?

Touching a metal part on my amp does have the same effect as touching a knob on the guitar. I also tested through my Eleven Rack and the noise is still there (again, only on the bridge pickup), even on the cleanest of settings. Same issue, the noise disappears when touching a knob or pot on the guitar, and also when touching the jack on the Eleven Rack.

I talked to Sweetwater, and they're saying that if I swap the pickups it will void the warranty...but they were ok with me resoldering the bridge pickup ground wire to the volume pot. Go figure.

')