NGD: Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8 (Updated inlays) in the UK

• Thread starter Benny Boy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Boy

Reaction score
I’ve been playing Schecter seven strings for a few years, and having recently been on the lookout for a 27” + eight string the SLS C-8 caught my attention straight away. The “Hell’s Gate” skull inlay quickly put an end to this :wallbash:, but then I started seeing threads on here with the updated model.

A web search gave little choice in the UK/EU, and GAK simply said “no” when I asked about the updated inlays.

So, I blind copied an email to every UK seller listed on the Westside website (UK distribution for Schecter) to see what kind of reaction I got. Among the more amusing responses:

“Very sorry but this is a US only”

“The Blackjack SLS C-8 EX which has the dots was a limited run model and is no longer available and was never brought into the country”

“Sounds like you may have sorted this one out now as the guy at Westside said he’s never had so many calls about one particular model :-o”

I also received an offer quite a way below any list prices I’ve seen (UK peeps may want to contact Reidy’s in Blackburn) which after some repeated clarification (Dots? Definitely dots? You’re sure it has dots?) resulted in a very early start last Saturday morning:

Nice sturdy packaging

It’s the right case…

There’s a guitar in there! Can’t see any dots though…

YES DOTS!!!

More dots

Mmm, nice finish

The only thing I don’t like too much is the different headstock logo, although I’m sure I’ll get over it.

Family photo (C7 Hellraiser, SLS C-8 and C7 FR) Both C7s were purchased from Tim Mauery's ebay store.

Due to some hardware issues I’ve not been able to try it out plugged into a decent rig (This will be happening tonight) but initial impressions are very good. The neck profile feels a lot different to my other Schecters but is very comfortable, with good access across to the lower strings and up to the higher frets.

The string tensions are a bit of a mess though, I think I may need to do some experimenting and possibly build a custom set from Circle K or similar. I believe it comes with the Ernie Ball eight string set which works out very approximately like this:

len 28"

E .009" DAPL == 15.83#
B, .012" DAPL == 13.28#
G, .016" DAPL == 17.7#
D, .026" DANW == 22.19#
A,, .036" DANW == 23.55#
E,, .046" DANW == 21.08#
B,,, .064" DANW == 19.87#
E,,, .080" DANW == 16.58#

total == 150.09#

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeeG

Reaction score
I had one of the blackjack 7 strings. Very nice guitar! So glad it doesn't have those lame inlays... HNGD!!!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Glad to see these everytime.

Also it would be TOO funny if you re-emailed every distributor that sassed you. Just send pics of the guitar, proof its in the UK, where you bought it. Then repost the responses you get back.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Happy NGD! I really hope this is the end of Schecter's Jack Sparrow inlay.

CanniballistiX

Detuned Fury
Reaction score
Welcome to teh club! :agreed: Glad to see more happy dot owners! :yesway:

I believe it comes with the Ernie Ball eight string set which works out very approximately like this:

len 28"

E .009" DAPL == 15.83#
B, .012" DAPL == 13.28#
G, .016" DAPL == 17.7#
D, .026" DANW == 22.19#
A,, .036" DANW == 23.55#
E,, .046" DANW == 21.08#

total == 150.09#

This sounds about right, the middle strings are certainly a lot tighter than the treble and bass strings. I'm hoping to fix that with some calculated experimentation over the summer, that's all I'm allowed to say at this point. :nono:

stuglue

Reaction score
Congrats. I was in a similar predicament as you. I'm based in west Yorkshire and last year I spent a large chunk of my life trying to find anyone in the UK that sold left handed 8 string guitars. I try all the usual places, GAK, dolphin music, nevada music, guitar guitar, andertons.I just got the standard "you want an 8 string, nah mate, what, and you're left handed your having a laugh".
At the time only schecter did an affordable 8 string. I had to call and pester Westside Distribution up in Scotland. I managed to get one from them via PMT in Leeds but had to wait 4 months.
Now us lefty players have ESP and ibanez to choose from.
Don't know whereabouts you are in west Yorkshire but for repairs and detailed knowledge if all things guitars then the String Surgeon is your man.

hand amputation

Reaction score
Beautiful body. But I still don't like those inlays. Better than the cheeseball sword inlays or whatever those usually come with.

I bet it feels great.

HNGD!!

8StringX

Reaction score
Happy NGD! It's suprising that a 28" scale 8-string is the same size as a 26.5" or 25.5" scale 7-string. It looks like Schecter designed it pretty well.

Benny Boy

Reaction score
Glad to see these everytime.

Also it would be TOO funny if you re-emailed every distributor that sassed you. Just send pics of the guitar, proof its in the UK, where you bought it. Then repost the responses you get back.

Now THAT I like, a lot of places just didn't respond at all. I still have every reply so watch this space.

Found another funny one:

"All product manager from the distributor are at the big german Musik Fairy in Frankfurt. So I do not get someone, who can aswer this at the moment."

Reaction score
That's basically what I use, except a 59 for low-B and a 74 for low-F#. The tension ain't balanced, but the tone is. And that's more important to me.

Benny Boy

Reaction score
Welcome to teh club! :agreed: Glad to see more happy dot owners! :yesway:

Thanks dude! Seeing yours was the first I'd ever heard of the updated inlays so I spent a looong time on your NGD thread.

This sounds about right, the middle strings are certainly a lot tighter than the treble and bass strings. I'm hoping to fix that with some calculated experimentation over the summer, that's all I'm allowed to say at this point. :nono:

Sounds good. I'd be very interested in hearing more about this.

vansinn

Reaction score
The string tensions are a bit of a mess though, I think I may need to do some experimenting and possibly build a custom set from Circle K or similar. I believe it comes with the Ernie Ball eight string set which works out very approximately like this:

len 28"

E .009" DAPL == 15.83#
B, .012" DAPL == 13.28#
G, .016" DAPL == 17.7#
D, .026" DANW == 22.19#
A,, .036" DANW == 23.55#
E,, .046" DANW == 21.08#

total == 150.09#

Yep, not be best of equalized tension scheme..
Fun how scales changes things. On 25.5", 9,12,17 are almost perfectly tensioned. Here on 28", it should be more like 9,12.5,15 - but 12.5 doesn't exist, though.
A more balanced set would be 8½/9, 12/13, 15, 22/23, 32, 44, 64, 82, which is actually close to La Bella's balanced set off their custom shop, and also close to what Circle K has.

')