NGD: Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8

• Thread starter Fredrish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fredrish

Dödsevangelist
Reaction score
After careful consideration and some discussion in my previous thread, I went ahead and ordered this beautiful instrument. Quick delivery, considering it came from Germany, just three days. Thomann lives up to the standard. :D

Pictures (hope the link works): Schecter - Imgur

It came out of the box perfectly set up, to my surprise - even the truss rod was correctly adjusted! I've never experienced that before, so kudos to Schecter, Thomann or whoever is responsible. I've never played an 8-string before, but it was not the extra string that felt immediately strange, but rather the scale length; it's comfortable as hell for rhythm work, but when I move up the fretboard for soloing and melodies it feels somewhat awkward. I'll get used to it after a couple of hours of playing though.

The quality of the instrument seems high. Nice fretwork, sturdy hardware, well adjusted nut, etc. Stays in tune nicely, thanks to the locking tuners.

I didn't really know what to expect from the pickups. I had a pair of Blackouts 6-string a couple of years back which I weren't to fond of, but that was probably due to a combination of wrong pickups, wrong guitar, wrong amp. Anyway, these are AWESOME! They have a very distinct sound, much different from the EMG 707's I had in my Gibson V. A f**kload of punch and heaviness, combined with sparkling clarity. Perfect for an 8-string since they let all tones, even the lower ones, come through clearly without being muddy.

Not much to say, other than that. I am very pleased that I chose this instead of the Ibanez RG2228, can't imagine I'd be that much more happy with one of those. I plan on recording a demo, maybe tonight or later this week. I'll post it here as soon as I'm done. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Naples

Reaction score
Great pics. I'm glad that you like yours. Mine came perfectly set up also. I'm not sure if it is Schecter or the dealers, but great setup and great guitar.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
Great pics. I'm glad that you like yours. Mine came perfectly set up also. I'm not sure if it is Schecter or the dealers, but great setup and great guitar.

I've read that Schecter guitars are setup by Schecter techs in the USA when they come in from overseas. I have a cheap Omen 6 and that guitar is setup really nice out of the box.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
That may be one of the most sinister looking guitars I have seen in a while. Thank God they seem to be moving away from the cheesy inlays and what not.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
HNGD Bro! I'm seriously GASing for one of those...this does not help

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says, Schecter knocked the ball out of the park with the 8 string Blackjacks.

viesczy

Reaction score
AWESOME!

I am so wanting another 8 right now and simply cannot wait for the Washburn 8 to hit America that either this beauty or the 26.5" scale one with Blackouts is CALLING to me!

Congratulations!

Derek

indreku

Reaction score
HNGD - I love schecters, they fit me so well, and the SLS is also so perfect with their slimmer everything.

')