NGD: Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8

• Thread starter Fredrish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Congrats on the NGD! I just picked up one of these yesterday and I love it! I'm curious, what tuning and string gauge are you using with yours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Your C-8 looks great, man. Schecter has always made decent guitars (well, for the last 10 years or so they have, at least), but they seem to be improving on their overall quality lately. That Extreme series is absolutely killer. I would love to check out the SLS's, and I'd love it even more if they made something like the Extreme series available with the thinner SLS neck.

Fredrish

Dödsevangelist
Reaction score
Having owned the guitar for a while now, I can honestly say that I am still as pleased as when I got it. Great instrument!

I have to issue a slight warning regarding string gauges and intonation though. I switched from factory standard (09-12-16-26-36-46-64-80) to a new DR set (10-13-17-26-36-46-57-75) and this screwed up the intonation on the three lowest strings completely. The screws in the hipshot bridge are way to short, the saddles need to be moved substantially nearer the neck. And it's not a slightly off, it's almost of by half a semitone on the low E. Unplayable, sounds like complete shit. Luckily, my local music story - in contrast to 99 % of the different online stores here - actually stock 080- and 064-strings that aren't bass strings. I'll sort it out tomorrow.

EDIT: Feel free to point out if I've made some obvious mistake with the string gauges; this is after all my first 8-string, and first guitar longer than 25.5, for that matter. I have of course made trussrod adjustments and all that pertaining to a change in string gauges.

Xplora

Reaction score
In all honesty, intonation turning bad once you've done such a strange change (10s on top, and big drop at the bottom) isn't unexpected. You're twisting the neck from its original position, bending it towards the strings and your harmonics will be changing. That's not a problem though. You can buy whatever screws you need, and you can always set up the guitar. I wouldn't criticise the guitar because of that. Or you - it's a very different to your other stuff if you've been on standard scales and 6 strings. There is probably 15% more wood in that neck, they put the CF and the titanium truss rods in there for a reason LOL

Mate, would love some feedback on the neck. I only just found the V version of this yesterday, and that's pretty much my perfect guitar. I've hated the older Schecter necks (baseball bats), but I love the concept of them. Flat black V, 8 strings in 28 scale (GARGLE I'M CHOKING)... how do you find the thickness of the neck, compared to say an Ibanez RG2228 or RG8? Or even an RG7? Old school Jackson 6 (aka "I can't believe the strings don't snap the whole thing in two")? A schecter with a skinnier neck, perhaps even thinner than the Ibanez 2228 is an automatic buy for me.

I think we'll assume the stability of the neck is a bit suspect because of the gauge issues you have had, but that's OK. I'm surprised you didn't like the gauges, I think I'd be going 10-52+68+90, tuning down the whole guitar to D.

Fredrish

Dödsevangelist
Reaction score
In all honesty, intonation turning bad once you've done such a strange change (10s on top, and big drop at the bottom) isn't unexpected. You're twisting the neck from its original position, bending it towards the strings and your harmonics will be changing. That's not a problem though. You can buy whatever screws you need, and you can always set up the guitar. I wouldn't criticise the guitar because of that. Or you - it's a very different to your other stuff if you've been on standard scales and 6 strings. There is probably 15% more wood in that neck, they put the CF and the titanium truss rods in there for a reason LOL

Mate, would love some feedback on the neck. I only just found the V version of this yesterday, and that's pretty much my perfect guitar. I've hated the older Schecter necks (baseball bats), but I love the concept of them. Flat black V, 8 strings in 28 scale (GARGLE I'M CHOKING)... how do you find the thickness of the neck, compared to say an Ibanez RG2228 or RG8? Or even an RG7? Old school Jackson 6 (aka "I can't believe the strings don't snap the whole thing in two")? A schecter with a skinnier neck, perhaps even thinner than the Ibanez 2228 is an automatic buy for me.

I think we'll assume the stability of the neck is a bit suspect because of the gauge issues you have had, but that's OK. I'm surprised you didn't like the gauges, I think I'd be going 10-52+68+90, tuning down the whole guitar to D.

I didn't mean to criticize the neck - as you point out, one can expect that adjustments need to be done, and I adjusted the trussrod accordingly. The neck has shown great stability and only moved ever so slightly. It's the whole part with the screws being way too short that kind of bums me out. I'm not sure changing screws will help; it seems that the increase in pitch needed is greater than the length I can actually move the saddle before covering the string hole, thus pinching the string. But I will try it, the local hardware store are bound to stock that kind of screws.

Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure to try out the RG2228 or RG8. But I have owned a couple of Jacksons (have a DK2M now), not sure if they classify as old school ones though. The neck on the DK2M is thin but rather wide for a 6, so it is sort of reminiscent of the SLS C-8.

I don't think the neck would disappoint you, it is terribly comfortable, not at all as chunkey as Schecters other necks. I had no problem with the transition from 7:s to this (other than the scale length), probably due to the smooth feel of the neck. Very playable. :)

Fredrish

Dödsevangelist
Reaction score
')