NGD: Schecter Hellraiser C-8 Special

• Thread starter Go To Bed Jessica
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
After picking one these beasts up while killing time in a shop one day, I became unexpectedly intrigued by them. I did lots of hunting around on the internet and found this one second hand, for the same price as the entry level model is brand new - this model is prettier, and has much more impressive specs. I'm new to the ERG scene, so I didn't want to spend a huge amount on something I may or may not end up playing very much.

This was listed as "gently used" but I am convinced that the wear that was shown in the pics on the web was actually polished out after they took the photos! Looks brand new to me! It's also the first guitar I have owned with a fancy maple top, and I really like what the trans black finish does with the maple too.

Schecter Hellraiser C-8 Special (crappy phone pics only at this stage - sorry!).

1332741248860-orig.jpg

1332741353442-orig.jpg

Set neck with the "all access" neck joint.
EMG 808 pickups
Two volume, one tone control and three way selector
Fixed bridge

This only arrived today, so I am still getting used to it. The neck is surprisingly comfortable. In fact, if the neck were any thinner, I'm quite sure I would find it uncomfortable. I think this guitar is a 2010 model as I think that was the only year they offered trans black with cream binding? I recently played an Omen 8 and I'm sure the neck was fatter than this. The neck/body join is wonderful - beautifully sculpted to live up to it's name.

So far I am liking the EMGs more than I thought I would, but this is day 1 so I'm not really prepared to sing their praises too highly yet. For the moment though, I am pleasantly surprised with the pickups. Some lovely tones to be found with the neck pickup and a clean channel (the MI Megalith handles the extended range of this instrument with complete ease at low volume, and something tells me it will be no different up loud).

Things are sounding a little mushy with higher gain sounds, but I haven't really tweaked the amp for it much yet... and I also think it needs a heavier string set to take some of the flap out of the low string, especially. I have no idea what string set is currently on it. Whatever it is, it isn't terrible but it needs to be a bit heavier. The low string was definitely pretty floppy at drop E.

I'll try to put up some more detail photos in the next few days, but I have to say that I am very impressed with the fit and finish of this guitar and look forward to learning how to play the damned thing! :laughing I would post a clip too, but I can hardly play the thing (the same could be said of my 6 string playing too) and anything I posted now would be, frankly, probably quite embarrassing. :redfaced

ps - tunings I have tried so far are EBEADGBE and F#BEADGBE. Both seem to have their uses and both make for some lovely sounding 8 string open chords.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjcor

Reaction score
Got the same model also. Love it but loved it even more when I put bare knuckle aftermaths in it. Happy ngd!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll see how I go with the actives - but the thought of dropping some medium output passives in there is pretty appealing. Not a fan of high gain pickups in general.

Bare Knuckle make some really nice stuff too.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Made in Indonesia!

The Tele definitely needed a bunch of upgrades to be considered good though - p'ups, nut, saddles, tuners.

Last edited:

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
HNGD! :D
When I saw the first pic i thought it was blue there for a second!

Very nice!

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar but that knob is upsettingly close to the bridge pickup.. I dont think i would like that too much. Luckily my hellraiser solo doesnt have that positioning :)

Happy NGD

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I thought the positioning of that knob would give me a bit of grief too, but I haven't noticed it at all while playing.

On Strats, the volume knob drives me batshit insane and is one of the reasons I hate playing them and have no desire to ever own one. I cannot play a Strat without constantly bumping the volume knob and turning myself down.

The Schecter though... is very nice and ergonomically, a lot easier to play than I expected it to be.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with volume knob positioning, I only anchor my pinky and it can easily fit in the gap.

HNGD!

rekab

Reaction score
Congrats! Also, made in Indo means this is a new model. They just started making these in Indonesia at the end of 2011.
I made a comparison photo thread of this one and the Korean one a while back. Search my posts for it. You'll see that you got what I'd consider the better of the models.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Thanks rekab - that was a wonderful comparison between the two! I'm also pleasantly surprised to learn that my guitar is pretty close to brand new. In fact, given the six (6) month wait to get a 2012 Schecter in a store over here (yes, you read that correctly - I asked about getting a white 2012 Omen 8 and that is what I was told) it's probably "newer" than what an actual new one would have been if I had bought it through an Australian retailer.

I spent some more time with this guitar again last night and I'm really enjoying it. The fact that I got this for the same price as the RRP for a new Omen 8 in a store here just makes me laugh. The maple cap, trans-black finish and the beautifully sculpted set neck heel on this guitar are just amazing.

My observation of the EMG808s so far is that for clean sounds, I only really like the neck pickup - the bridge is way too trebly... and that I prefer the bridge pickup for high gain because the neck pickup just turns to mush.

I definitely need to try some heavier strings though. I found an EB tag in a little baggie containing the allen keys for the guitar, so I'm guessing that I'm playing the EB 8 string set - which has a low string (I think) of 0.074. Gonna persevere with that until I can get a ZOG 8 set to try.

I picked up my PRS for a little while before bed last night - after playing the C-8 for a couple of hours and it just felt TINY in my hands! This is the CE22 with the Wide Fat neck, and it felt like I was trying to play a twig!

I guess (and I hope) that transitioning from 6 to 8 and back again comes more naturally with practice... but man it felt weird last night.

And yeah, Goatchrist, I really love the inlays too - they appear to be very well done. I honestly cannot fault the workmanship on this guitar at all.

I took it into work with me this afternoon to show some colleagues who were curious to see the thing I have been rambling about. Not one of them is even a musician, let alone a guitarist and the general reaction when I opened the case was: WWWOOOOAAAHHHH!!

Feeling pretty good about this guitar right now!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Okay, so it has been a week and a half now since it landed and I each time I play this guitar I end up loving it a little bit more.

The biggest surprise for me is the neck. It is noticeably wider than a regular 6 string neck (obviously), but I kinda stop noticing after I play it for a while. It's not a terrible stretch to fret the low string - even high up on the fretboard it's still accessible. I don't know where the whole THOSE SCHECTER GUITARS HAVE BASEBALL BAT NECKS thing came from, and I definitely disagree with it. In fact, if the neck were thinner I think I would be having some hand fatigue/strain issues - which I have not experienced at all with this guitar.

Now that I have spent some more time with it, I am starting hear things I don't like about the EMGs, but they still aren't terrible by any means. I'm going to look into giving the 18 volt mod a shot to see if that helps - as one of my issues is that the cleans in particular are sounding a bit compressed.

The nut possibly needs some minor attention, as a few of the strings are a little "grabby" at the nut... but it could be that the string set on it (which is an unknown) is slightly larger than what the nut was cut for... or maybe the nut just needs some lubrication. I'm going to give the nut a full workup when I change the strings - until then I can live with it.

Overall, I can hardly believe I picked this guitar up for ~$560AUD. The build quality is seriously impressive. The nut is the only thing I can even remotely find fault with at present. The maple cap with a trans black finish is stunning. The shape of the neck and heel have far exceeded my expectations. The binding and inlays are very well done. The guitar balances nicely. The EMG808s are pretty damn fine - although I can see myself replacing them with some medium output BKPs at some point in the future.

I'm very, very pleased with this guitar.

')