NGD: Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder

• Thread starter Electric Wizard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Pics first:

2018-04-22 13.14.jpg

2018-04-22 13.26.jpg

2018-04-22 13.16.jpg

2018-04-22 13.17.jpg

2018-04-22 13.19.jpg

2018-04-22 13.24.jpg

2018-04-22 13.88.jpg

Got this about two weeks ago. Some quick thoughts;

These are some of the new Schecters coming out of Indonesia, which is a disappointment to some. I think it's totally fine, construction quality being on par with nice Indo Ibanez stuff I've played. The only real issue being some fret ends that were a bit sharp. Cosmetically, there's also a knot in the headstock but it doesn't bother me.

Specs say the body is mahogany. It's definitely nato or something like it as it's very light. The neck is a rounded C shape and is noticeably thicker than the SLS profile that's on a lot of Schecs now. Comfy and nice to play, and has a satin finish that's very fast. The finish is nicer in person than pics make it look. I know some dudes were bagging on this finish in the Schecter thread for looking like a cheap photo top. It is a real maple veneer and actually has some nice chatoyance. I got this color thinking it would be easier to refinish as the blue model has a headstock veneer as well, but I may not bother.

My only complaint is the wiring. The EMG retroactives are actually pretty cool and will probably suit a lot of applications. They feel a lot more passive than the regular 81/85 type stuff and are very responsive to height changes. I really love the single coils, however they don't play nice with the humbucker. The bridge pickup doesn't split so the 4th position is just the bridge but quieter. This kills some HSS versatility so I'll be swapping that in the future.

Overall pretty cool if you're on the market for something specifically like this. Really nothing else out there that's HSS and 26.5" scale. I got this with a 20% off coupon from MF and I'd say it's definitely worth that price. Full price gets you a little closer to contenders like Kiesel or a used MIJ Ibanez with some mods which might be worth considering, but these are pretty sweet if you need to djont on a hair metal guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Do you have plans to refinish? I’ve been pretty ok’ing at buying on of these and refinishing it and having a pickguard made. I have enormous gas for an has start (modern metal feel) 7 string in shell pink (vintage looks)

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Do you have plans to refinish? I’ve been pretty ok’ing at buying on of these and refinishing it and having a pickguard made. I have enormous gas for an has start (modern metal feel) 7 string in shell pink (vintage looks)
I had the same idea but I'm not too sure now. I was hoping that a regular strat pickguard could be modified to work, but the horn shape is different so you will need a custom one. Not sure it's worth the cost, and for the time being the pink isn't bad in person.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
That’s was my consensous. The guitar has just about everything I’d need from my start dream but the refinish also gn with everything would put it way over my budget. I’m honestly waiting for a used one to pop up as I’m a cheap fuck. Until them gonna stay dreamin

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Damn I love almost everything about that guitar. Inline headstock, maple board, HSS strat with floyd.

If one shows up in the uk and is left handed, I may have to get one. I really want one so I can refinish it in a solid color.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Looks like refinishing is a popular idea, I really hope somebody on SSO can. If you have the stuff to do it yourself I think it would make a great project. I was looking at Marty Bell's costs before I ordered it so I'm not ruling that out in the future.

Have you checked the trem routing yet?
Yep, no lemon here.

awake69

Reaction score
That's simply gorgeous!! Almost like a Jackson PC1 but with 7 strings. That would kill with a sustainer at the neck.

elkoki

Reaction score
You're the only person i've seen post anything about this guitar. So how does it sound, are you planning on recording any sound demos or videos? I've been curious about it. I've only seen / heard one sound demo and it was for the 6 string version, which sounded pretty nice, but the 7 string is something else entirely...

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
These look great! There are two on the wall at my local GC and I'm tempted to give them a try.

If the only issue is sharp fret ends then I'd call that a win on quality. This is so common I groan when I see people on SSO complain about it. I've seen people return guitars over that. Maybe it's because I live in the blistering inferno that is Arizona where it's always <20% humidity (other than August monsoons), but literally every guitar has these here even if they didn't when they left some other place in the world. Get a little file from stewmac and spend an hour with it while you watch TV. Problem solved.

Now that I'm done ranting like an old man, HNGD! I hope it plays as great as it looks!

Those stainless bolts for the floyd are great, too. Solid upgrade as long as you don't mind the stainless with black look.

Zado

Reaction score
Honestly the SVSS I played had the smoothest fret ends I've ever seen on that price range

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of playing a blue version of this recently @ Guitarget, and I was refreshed to see a 7 neck with a touch more heft to it, very comfy, great sounding beast, and I do like the HSS EMG Retroactive setup.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
You're the only person i've seen post anything about this guitar. So how does it sound, are you planning on recording any sound demos or videos? I've been curious about it. I've only seen / heard one sound demo and it was for the 6 string version, which sounded pretty nice, but the 7 string is something else entirely...
I don't have the stuff for a video but if people really want clips I could make some.

Honestly the sound is pretty generic, in a good way. The pickups are not really EMG-like. The bridge is just a basic aftermarket slightly hot PAF kind of sound, like they took the average of the most popular Duncans and Dimarzios. Not much to say about the singles either. Slightly overwound, but responded well to lowering. These feel a little more noticeably active because they are just perceptibly thicker than passive singles and a little less spanky and sparkly than I'm used to.

So overall the sound is not really a distinctive one, which I think is probably a good thing for an off the shelf guitar.

These look great! There are two on the wall at my local GC and I'm tempted to give them a try.

If the only issue is sharp fret ends then I'd call that a win on quality. This is so common I groan when I see people on SSO complain about it. I've seen people return guitars over that. Maybe it's because I live in the blistering inferno that is Arizona where it's always <20% humidity (other than August monsoons), but literally every guitar has these here even if they didn't when they left some other place in the world. Get a little file from stewmac and spend an hour with it while you watch TV. Problem solved.

Now that I'm done ranting like an old man, HNGD! I hope it plays as great as it looks!

Those stainless bolts for the floyd are great, too. Solid upgrade as long as you don't mind the stainless with black look.
Yeah I think it's fine for the price. I don't know if sharp is the best word anyways. On this one at least I don't think I could cut myself on them, but you can feel that they protrude a little. The floyd is nice too. Time will tell how much the stainless parts matter, but it feels pretty smooth and the push-in arm has always been a preference.

')