NGD - Skervesen 4AP 8FF MDB

• Thread starter Un1corn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Yes, this is the exact one you see in their videos, and the guitar they play on tour. This is the one when back in China, I heard that they just sold this after the tour (or I remember they swapped with a local guy). Too sad I wasn't there due to work, however it's up on sell at second hand market so I immediately bought it. (also because my Overload 8 is delayed lol)

Actually personally, I don't have good track record with Skervesen, both me and my friends. They are great, but for some reason we always found some very little defects. My friend has a Raptor 8, I saw that in my eye of slightly misaligned bridge cutout. However regardless anything, I love 4AP. 4AP and 4MDB is probably my favorite guitar shape. Also, I'm a big fan of MDB since Travellers, and I have covered some COMA songs. This 4AP is just beyond everything, I felt so happy about this.

The guitar is in a pretty used condition, because this is built in 2015 and it was used on several EPs, album and tour. ABM Bridge is in good condition, but switches and pots are rusted, however it's simple to change and I'm planning to install a circuit inside. Actually I already swapped the knob with a gold on my old Ormsby (still faded already lol). It comes with Skervesen's World Domination Mod, which I actually don't find too useful, but it definetely gives more choice of tone. White sparkle is aging yellow, if it's my own order I will not happy about it but it's the MDB's original one, it shows how much it was used so I'm fine with it.

On the back plate there's MDB's signature. Gonna take this off and put it in the shelf haha (i'm joking)

And birdseye maple! I'm a huuuge sucker for maple fingerboards, I will never choose ebony if I have the choice of maple and ebony. Birdseye maple on this looks absolutely gorgeous.

The guitar feels solid when playing. Although I won't say it's the most comfortable thing I've played, but it's very worth the high end price and Skervesen reputation. The neck is well built so it feels smooth and comfortable. And it has asymmetric V shape, kinda like Strandberg's neck but it's more subtle. Personally I'm used to traditional round necks, but I can get this shape's benefit. (But after all it's MDB's original choice!)

It sounds super duper clear. With the specific pickups and wood and bridge (and whatever else), the treble is a bit too much, or should i say it's aggressive, and can be a little bit more mess than more conservative setups. And this is the reason why it's super clear, the harmonics of 8th string are all exaggerated. This aggressive sound is a huge part of MDB's tone, when I played it I immediately found that the attack is soooo close to album's tone. Personally I like less aggressive setups, but again, after all, it's THE MDB's tone. I can't say how excited I was, when I plugged in and dialed the tone, it was the exactly same tone! You can watch the video below for a tone sample. I'm using a custom set of 10-46, 54,74.

I took it to a local luthier shop and had a look. The owner is graduated from ESP and very wll known here. He said it's good, but there are still some little imperfections around the horn's sparkle finish. He is a bit shocked because this is made for a Skervesen endorser artist, but overall it's acceptable. I actually can't find where that imperfection is but I guess it's very subtle that it's only visible through an experienced luthier's eye.

Overall I'm super happy with it, even I personally don't have good records of Skervesen, or even some specs are not my first choice, I still felt good. I can't say how big MDB had influence on me, and how I love their music! I'm lucky that I can get this original one in my hands.

Here are the specs:

Body: Basswood

Top: None

Finish: White flake gloss

Construction: Bolt on

Neck: Wene/Bubinga 5-ply

Fretboard: BIRDSEYE MAPLE

Radius: 16"

Nut: TUSQ

Fret: Jescar Stainless

Scale: 26-28 multiscale

Hardware: ABM single saddle bridge, Hipshot open lock tuners

Pickup: BKP Cold Sweat neck, Painkiller bridge

Routing: 3-way switch, 1 volume, World Domination Mod

Those pictures are took with Sony A7RV, FE 24-105G and FE 135GM.7R_08374.jpg

7R_08370.jpg

7R_08371.jpg

7R_08372.jpg
7R_08373.jpg
7R_08377.jpg

7R_08379.jpg7R_08378.jpg

7R_08380.jpg
7R_08382.jpg

Last edited:

Masoo2

Reaction score
insane.

I still think about his 4AP NTB (or was it a 4AP Radius?) with the trans-white flame top every few months. also Infinity by MDB is probably my all-time favorite 8 string track to play which may play a part in my love for these guitars.

enjoy this guitar, it's something special.

Masoo2

Reaction score
ABM Bridge is in good condition, but switches and pots are rusted, however it's simple to change and I'm planning to install a circuit inside.
Is this the same circuit that you installed in your Overload?

I watched the video and I'm intrigued but my Google Translate skills are not proving the most helpful in explaining what the circuit actually is, what it's for and where you ordered it from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Yes, but a buffed up version. I doubt you can order it overseas because it's really made by an individual one by one, and it's not classified by any means so you can basically make one yourself.

The idea is to use an 9V opamp to convert guitar signal to low impedance one. We all know that a high impedance signal like guitar is bad in lots of ways. For example it's easy to lose those treble due to loss in the circuit, or it's likely to be interfered with other signal, need high impedance matching input etc.

If we convert this to low impedance signal, in theory it should fix all these disadvantages. With low impedance signal, you will never need to worry about cables - as long as it's a working cable, they will all work the same, no matter the material or length.

Also you do not need Hi-Z input on any audio interface to work, you can simply plug into a mic jack and use line input, this should give you the exact same result as plugged into Hi-Z jack. It helps with devices without Hi-Z input jack.

And the most important thing, get all treble back. So in that video I posted, you can hear a slight treble boost kinda thing. That's actually how pickups sound from the most origin. With high impedance sound we lose those signal during cable's transfer by it's nature, but with a low impedance signal they won't lose. This will naturally give you more treble information, so it may sound not like traditional guitar sound, but with more information to work with.

This is by no means a complex thing, actually the circuit itself is pretty simple. It's just bootstrap + positive feedback amplifier, the amplifing gain is controlled with 2 resistors, gain = 20*log(1+(R2/R1)). It's placed after the pots, right before the output jack so very simple to connect, just connect the ground and signal on the output jack to the circuit. But this requires a battery to power 9V opamp, so it needs a 3 tip jack. Luckily this Skervesen is using a 3 tip jack so it shouble be pretty easy. You can ask an electrician to explain this for you, it should be pretty basic.

The buffed up version is combined with a frequency boost, like in some Musicman guitars. Since it's also pretty basic, almost everything (except for Q value) is adjustable. By default it has 2 different frequencies to boost, I ordered one with single frequency boost and push-pull pot to act as a switch.

He actually makes other things like preamp pedals, earphone amps or effects. But he is very on his own and working purely one by one with hand, it's pretty tough now for him to make one overseas. But you get the idea, just tell your idea to an experienced electrician and he will likely to find something very similar for you.

The guy made these amazing things is a great guitarist himself. He is in a melodic death metal band called Slaves of the Prison, you can find them on Bandcamp. We are friends in person too, so actually the extra requirements like push pull are usually not available to other people haha

Is this the same circuit that you installed in your Overload?

I watched the video and I'm intrigued but my Google Translate skills are not proving the most helpful in explaining what the circuit actually is, what it's for and where you ordered it from.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Man this thing is so super cool!

HNGD! the world needs more 8 strings in solid color, truly one of the most beautiful Skervs I have seen!!

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looks killer . A semi local shop stocks Skervesen and I just love the body’s and the specs they get in , even though I’ve never tried any . They’re a province over . If I had money to spend , I’d definitely scoop one up . If I ever go boutique guitars and need a 7 , I’d probably go with them . Seems they don’t make an ugly guitar .

Little story , I was driving home one day and saw a truck with a huge “ I LOVE DJENT “ sticker in the rear window . Ended up pulling next to him at a light and grabbed his insta . He recommended MDB to me and man they don’t disappoint . Cool you own something actually recorded and toured with . Looks great for what I can imagine it went through . Play the hell outta the thing , it can take it

Isurez

Reaction score
HNGD! I'm fairly certain that the neck pickup is not the Cold Sweat but rather the Warpig. Together with the Painkiller bridge pickup, this was Tomas' preferred pickup set. I also believe that the potentiometer knob was swapped from the Hipshot O-ring.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
HNGD! I'm fairly certain that the neck pickup is not the Cold Sweat but rather the Warpig. Together with the Painkiller bridge pickup, this was Tomas' preferred pickup set. I also believe that the potentiometer knob was swapped from the Hipshot O-ring.
Tomas has set with cold sweat, and that output I've tested is around 9k ohms which matches cold sweat. If it's warpig it should be around 17k. Also that knob is swapped by myself (I already mentioned it in the post)

Isurez

Reaction score
Tomas has set with cold sweat, and that output I've tested is around 9k ohms which matches cold sweat. If it's warpig it should be around 17k. Also that knob is swapped by myself (I already mentioned it in the post)
I know it may not be of great importance, but I was ordering pickups for this guitar. Also, it's worth noting that the Cold Sweat has a single row of slug coils and another row of screws, whereas the Warpig features screws in both rows. Somehow missed the information about the potentiometer knob. ;)
Cheers!

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
I know it may not be of great importance, but I was ordering pickups for this guitar. Also, it's worth noting that the Cold Sweat has a single row of slug coils and another row of screws, whereas the Warpig features screws in both rows. Somehow missed the information about the potentiometer knob. ;)
Cheers!
Well... that was strange, I don't think in anyways a warpig in the neck can has a output of 9k ohms... maybe the previous owner changed it to other things?

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Killer! Same one I saw in the Infinity playthrough video that started me on the MDB journey.

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Congrats I absolutely love this guitar. Hopefully they will still make music, they seemed to really be progressing every single album. Play the shit out of it!