NGD: Skervesen Raptor 7-string 27"

• Thread starter joe-tofu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joe-tofu

Reaction score
Alright, I finally found some time to write down my NGD-thread. Please also look at the build-thread here: Clicky clicky!

The specs
  • 7-string Raptor 27"-neck
  • Ash-Body, Burl-Poplar-Top
  • 5-piece Rosewood-ebony-neck w/ ebony-fretboard and flourescent side-blocks
  • Hipshot-hardware
  • BKP Aftermaths w/ Camo-covers

The review
The look is fantastic. I really love the primal, yet classic top. And the neck really, words don't do it justice. It looks phenomenal. I'm a sucker for details and so I especially like the switch. It's kinda bulky, but thats exactly, what makes it awesome on such a guitar. I actually thought, ivoroid-binding looks a bit different more "detailed" or "structured" if you wish. So I asked Maciek about it and he told me that they receive varied looking ivoroid-binding from their supplier. I'm fine with it though.

The build-quality is top-notch as well. I've looked everywhere for any "flaws" and couldn't find one. You can see two tiny CNC stabilisation-points, that's it. It was awesome to see, that Skervesen put some foam under the strings on the headstock. I would love to see that on production-guitars, too. It's a much better solution, than the good ol' hairband (although I started to use Gruv Gear-Bands).

The action is ridiculously low and - although my RGDs action is pretty low, too - I needed some time to get used to it :D
I love it!

I was surprised by the weight of the guitar. I imagined, it would be even lighter than my RGD, but I think it's even a tiny bit heavier. Speaking of the weight I also want to say, that the Raptor plays awesome while standing. It's perfectly balanced. Although Jarek and Maciek told me that they couldn't use flush-mount dunlop-straps on the 7-string-model I'm pretty sure that it would have worked out, too. I have to admit, that I'm a little bit disappointed about that, but the Skervesen-guys made up for it, so no problem!

The neck-profile is pretty cool. Flat, and a bit more junky than on the RGD, but definitely my "type of neck". It feels awesome and looks stunning as well. The fingerboard is a really beautiful piece of ebony with light, kinda "cloudy" streaks in it.

Unplugged the guitar sounds very bright and percussive ... and it's extremely loud, too. I was told that that's kind of a trademark for Skervesens :)

As I said, this is a 100% honest feedback and so I also want to give you feedback about the things that need to grow on me. Most of these things have nothing to do with Skervesen, but with Hipshot and Bareknuckle Pickups.

I'm kinda "shocked" about the hipshot-bridge. I would've never thought that such a high-class and though-out piece of hardware could have such sharp edges on the string-saddles. While palm-muting I felt the saddle of the B-string pinching into my hand. That was kinda irritating. I never played a hipshot before, but I hoped for a bit more comfortable bridge. Meanwhile I know, where to palm-mute and this problem is gone. Still I think, Hipshot should round off the saddle-edges a bit more.

First I also wasn't so sure about the Afthermath's. Especially the bridge-pu seemed to have less output than the Painkiller in my RGD and the guitar was more prone to feedbacking. I told Maciek about it and he suggested that I should get the pickups a bit higher. So, after fiddling around a bit I think I now found the sweet-spot.

So, that beeing said:
Would I recommend Skervesen guitars? Yes, definitly!
Would I buy another Skervesen? Absolutely and I hope we can make this happen sooner than later.

Like Skervesen on Facebook ... they deserve it!

The pics
skervesen-raptor-007-6.jpg

skervesen-raptor-007-1.jpg

skervesen-raptor-007-4.jpg

skervesen-raptor-007-3.jpg

skervesen-raptor-007-2.jpg

skervesen-raptor-007-5.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whilstmyguitardjentlyweep

Reaction score
oh my. i love the cloudy ebony and the contrasting binding. i demand a side pic, the grain on the ash body looks amazing as well.
Congrats and happy NGD

Alex_IBZ

Reaction score
Total killer looking guitar! Congrats, man!
Is there any advantage with this headstock design? I mean other than looking like a Blackmachine.

joe-tofu

Reaction score
Total killer looking guitar! Congrats, man!
Is there any advantage with this headstock design? I mean other than looking like a Blackmachine.

Well, you can hang up your jacket on it. Or poke your bassist (for that it could be a bit more pointy).

But come on ... "looking like a blackmachine"? Let's not turn this into a thread about how all cutaway-headstock-designs instantly look like a blackmachine.

fabeau

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, thanks for the review.
Skerversen doen't miss a trick! I am looking forward you to share some clips

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Yeah fuck this shit, I'm pulling the trigger on one.

Alex_IBZ

Reaction score
Well, you can hang up your jacket on it. Or poke your bassist (for that it could be a bit more pointy).

But come on ... "looking like a blackmachine"? Let's not turn this into a thread about how all cutaway-headstock-designs instantly look like a blackmachine.

Haha :hbang:
Actually I wasn't aware of the blackmachine stigma, I was just curious.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
congrats! these are sick guitars!

but has anyone else noticed that the clear coats they use seem a bit different? it seems like a different kind of matte. is it just me, and im crazy???

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats dude, welcome to the happy happy owners club! :hbang:

Musza

Reaction score
Congrats dude! (I'm writing this with a Skervesen Viper on my knees)

joe-tofu

Reaction score
congrats! these are sick guitars!

but has anyone else noticed that the clear coats they use seem a bit different? it seems like a different kind of matte. is it just me, and im crazy???

No, I don't think you're crazy. Actually I think, that it's kinda in between "normal" matte laquer and glossy laquer. It feels and looks good, but more "solid" ... in a good way :D

Congrats dude! (I'm writing this with a Skervesen Viper on my knees)

I'm flattered :D

Latest posts

')