NGD - Skervesen Raptor 7

• Thread starter jjcor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjcor

Reaction score
Been waiting on this guitar for the past year and a half and it turned out amazing. The fretwork is perfect. The neck has a similar carve to a ebmm jp. And really digging the 27" scale. May replace the juggernauts. They sound way to bright and harsh to me.

10zpgd0.jpg

zodp93.jpg

2rnc6sn.jpg

16i9ytf.jpg

21bq1hd.jpg

24l65b7.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frey

Reaction score
Happy NGD! I honestly don't like my set of Juggs much at all trough my tube amps but have dialed a preset in for them very nicely on my AX8. I actually find mine to be on the bassy/muddy side though.

cmtd

Reaction score
Nice axe, HNGD. Surprised by the comparison of the neck carve to a JP. My skervesen couldn't be further from my EBMM JP16. I find the skervesen to be a lot chunkier of a carve vs the JP. It's actually one of the fatter necks I have at the moment, while the JP is one of the slimmest. I'm a big fan of the JP necks, I really wish my skervesen neck was a more similar carve.

jjcor

Reaction score
Happy NGD! I honestly don't like my set of Juggs much at all trough my tube amps but have dialed a preset in for them very nicely on my AX8. I actually find mine to be on the bassy/muddy side though.

Im still trying to get them dialed in on my Axe Fx XL but it is just harsh to my ears. Maybe Im just bringing up the presence too much to make up for the muddiness.

Nice axe, HNGD. Surprised by the comparison of the neck carve to a JP. My skervesen couldn't be further from my EBMM JP16. I find the skervesen to be a lot chunkier of a carve vs the JP. It's actually one of the fatter necks I have at the moment, while the JP is one of the slimmest. I'm a big fan of the JP necks, I really wish my skervesen neck was a more similar carve.

I agree it is chunky but the shape is what I meant to say. How the shoulder is thinner on the treble side and more rounded on the bass side.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
A year and a half? That seems a bit long for their builds. I believe mine took 9 months give or take a week and they actually apologized to me for taking so long!

That being said your axe looks amazing, loving the finish.

jjcor

Reaction score
A year and a half? That seems a bit long for their builds. I believe mine took 9 months give or take a week and they actually apologized to me for taking so long!

That being said your axe looks amazing, loving the finish.

Thanks. I was part of a run for some lefties. But also they said my neck was messed up so they had to rebuild it. It was pretty irritating but at least it was caught and taken care instead of just going pass QC.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Thanks. I was part of a run for some lefties. But also they said my neck was messed up so they had to rebuild it. It was pretty irritating but at least it was caught and taken care instead of just going pass QC.

That's unfortunate but I guess shit happens, too bad it had to be with your guitar.

As for the neck profile. Mine has the same, it's a really nice asymmetrical profile except mine is reversed. I have a thin gradual curve around the bass end and a more pronounced curve on the treble side. It's a perfect match for the curve of my hand.

I wonder if they matched the exact same curve but for you it's backwards because yours is a lefty so your strings are on the other side instead of them flipping the profile as well.

Last edited:

raytsh

Contributor
Reaction score
Right, it is a left handed guitar with right handed string setup. I've seen a guys on youtube that plays this way.

I love the bright fretboard with the dark neck! My next Skervy will have the same combination, but without the binding to give it even more contrast when looking at the side of the neck.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
It looks fantastic. I love that white maple fretboard with the darker body.

Shame it doesn't sound good though.

Part of it is probably the scale length. When I moved to a 27 inch scale instrument, things are quite a bit brighter. At first, I thought "shit, this is really bright/harsh/horrible". But once you get your amp settings dialled in, you go back to your other guitars and find that they're muddy and lack clarity by comparison.

I would definitely change the pickups though. I absolutely can't stand the Juggernauts. They're for the stupid "djent" sound where you only hear the note attack, with a super aggressive noise gate. That's why they have such a crazy amount of clarity, that harshness, and the obnoxious mid range sound like you've got a wah pedal on. That, combined with a 27 inch scale (bright), and maple (bright) and hipshot bridge (bright) sounds like a nightmare to me.

Avedas

Reaction score
I remember you posted a video a while back of you playing your guitar upside down. Nice new axe mate

Isurez

Reaction score
Hello! Happy New Guitar Day!
I wasn't happy with Juggernaut in my Raptor 7 27" too - it was the quickest pickup swap that I've ever done to be honest. I changed it for the DiMarzio D-Activator 7 which stayed in the guitar for about a year because meanwhile I lost interested in the 7 string related stuff so I traded it for some other guitar. In my opinion you should also give a try to Illuminator 7, D-Sonic 7 from Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan SH-5 7. Every pickup with scooped mid should be fine so I think that Bare Knuckle Impulse would be OK too.

About warped neck - I don't know what happened but this guitar was really unlucky in this matter because we built three necks and two of them were so warped -> these ones ended up in the fire. They burned perfectly.

Looking forward for information with your decision when it comes to pickups. :)

xzacx

Reaction score
Super cool - colors remind me of Jackson's Coral Sea finish.

')