NGD - SSO Meme Guitar Commence

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I went to trade my under utilized LPs for a Gretsch Chet Akins Tennessee Rose, but got distracted by this cool 7 (which was cheaper than the Gretsch by a couple hundred bucks). After some back and forth, we worked out a deal and I got this wonderful SSO meme classic.

Wait, that's way too thin to house a Gretsch
20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0001.jpg

That's not even close to the same thing.
20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0002.jpg

Stealing this peak-a-boo idea from another thread
20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0003.jpg

Wait, don't tell me...

...it's a used prestige
20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0004.jpg

20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0006.jpg

20240820_IbanezAZ24047_0005.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I typically don't like Ibanez necks which is why I tend to avoid them when looking for new guitars; however, this one doesn't feel as thin as the RGs I remember disliking so much. Overall, the thing is damn near mint (though I haven't looked in too much detail) and has a lot of tonal options available with the switching scheme. I also prefer 2-pt style trems with locking tuners over floyd-style (I'm not wholly opposed, but just a preference).

I also noodled on a Fender Kingfish for a bit, I will own or build a clone of that guitar some day; it's pretty cool in its own right.

Stiman

Reaction score
Awesome NGD!!

I have the 6 string version of that, with the white pickups instead of black. I also have a Premium 7 string AZ which is quickly becoming my favourite guitar in my collection.

How do you like the Hyperion pickups?

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I'm liking the Hyperions so far, but I've only played them for maybe 30 minutes tops. I'll get a chance to open up the G20 a bit tomorrow and we'll see how I like them then.

If I decide to swap them I'll get another pickguard made - maybe tortoise.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar, I really dig the AZ's. I've only played one of the AZES 6's but liked it a lot.

Does the switch only effect the in between pickup selections, or all 5 positions?

Moongrum

Reaction score
It's just a black guitar, but I actually really like this model 😆
When I was trying to find demos of 7 strings in non-metal contexts, this was the model I kept searching on YouTube lol.
That's a far cry from a Tennessee Rose, though!

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
The only position not affected by the alter switch is the bridge position: https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/az24047_00_02.html
I've really been wanting another 7 string to cover my standard/drop A tuned 7 string needs and this one just called out to me.

Honestly, I didn't even get to the Gretsch because this seemed like a much better deal for my wants at the moment. It might have convinced me otherwise had I played it, but I'm not convinced a Gretsch is the hollowbody for me (I've been debating building a Mooncaster or Hollowbody Carved Top Tele).

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yeah man! Super classy guitar. I ALMOST went for one of these last Christmas when considering a 7 with a trem, but I realized I just didn't want it enough, so 5 months later I got the JP12-7, and now the J Custom 7. I still miss the fact that I don't have an HSS 7 string with 900 switching options though! For now I leave the switching to my AZ2402 and my Essi.

Not surprised you get a long with the neck on these if you don't like necks on RGs. AZs generally have much beefier and rounder necks. Very comfy.

I also wonder how the Hyperion 7s compare to the Hyperions on my 6-string.

Anyway, happy NGD dude! Enjoy :)

')