NGD: Stealth 7 Content

• Thread starter Bekanor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
After reading Rob's thread and drooling over his fantastic pictures I pulled the trigger on a Rizzo stealth 7 from ebay. It arrived this afternoon after I came to the disappointing conclusion that there was nothing good in the house to eat for lunch. Needless to say my appetite was quickly focused elsewhere.

Before I post pics (I wish they were as good as Rob's) I'd like to talk about the guitar itself, so as to help out anyone trying to decide whether to pick one up or not.

Overall I think the build quality is very good, on price point you can't really go wrong here. There are some small imperfections that I noticed, namely uneven filing on the binding in a couple of spots, a small imperfection in the paintwork (it's not a ding or a chip just something weird that looks like someone painted over a ding) on the longer leg (for lack of a better term) and a small chip in the recess behind the bridge. These are only very small issues and are by no means a deal breaker, it's just the kind of small inconsistency that comes with factory made guitars, though to their defence, I've heard of way worse issues on hand made, high end guitars.

Bridge, pickups and hardware are what you would expect of their respective manufacturers, it's awesome to see the continued use of high end parts on upper mid-range guitars.

For reference, I have played on Ibanez necks exclusively for the last year yet had no trouble at all adjusting to the thickness of the stealth. I would definitely recommend this neck to anyone who gets hand cramps and stuff from thin necks but can't really do their thing on a Schecter size neck being that it sits somewhere between the 2 extremes, very comfy no matter what you're doing. It's worth mentioning that the action out of the box was wickedly low, perhaps too low as there was a pretty noticeable buzz in the low frets, which could be more indicative of needing a neck adjustment than the bridge being too low (because it wasn't too low at all).

Now on to the things that I didn't enjoy.

The strap button placement is all wrong. I have 2 wide rides straps with the "sticky" pad and there is plenty of neck dive, not to mention that it puts the guitar in a very strange position (for me) when standing. Thankfully due to being tucked reasonably out of sight, moving the bridge side strap button means the original hole is virtually invisible, so that's tomorrow's job.

I'm not really a floyd user (but I buy floyd/edge bridge guitars exclusively, I just can't get comfy on other bridge types), but before I locked it down (t-no represent!) I had a bit of a poke at the bridge. Tuning stability and everything was fine once I got it set up (7 days in transit with unlocked nut plates will make short work of even the best setup) but I found myself having to exert way too much force on the bridge to get basic squeals and dives going. Vibrato and slight accents were fine but I think this just comes with the territory of floyd 7's, keeping that low B tight and tasty takes a hefty amount of spring tension lest you wind the claw right into the body. Though the last time I had my Universe floating I remember it being much friendlier, though I'm sure a frequent Floyd user would have no troubles at all getting used to this.

Upper fret access is a bit of a hot button issue with me, I play very much classical style so squishing my hand up is not something I enjoy or am comfortable doing. However the upper-fret drawback to this shape is obvious to anyone at first glance so it's almost not worth mentioning except to say that it's not really any worse than the M-II I used to own. Unpleasant on first impression but I'm sure once I get used to it I won't notice.

Lastly, one of the things that really turned me on to this guitar was the thought of having an EMG guitar again and running said EMGs at 18V. Much to my disappointment, you cannot fit 2 batteries inside the control cavity, even after removing the battery bracket, which led to me sitting down with a rasp and carving out the cavity so as to squeeze another battery in. So a little disappointing to not have a separate battery cavity but again nothing here that some experience with tools and some patience can't fix, so again no deal breakers here, especially if you own a dremel.

I bought this guitar to be my main stage guitar and replace my RG2127X as it is much too rare and special to suffer the slings and arrows of live abuse. The bang for buck here is on par with what you'd expect from it's competitors in Schecters and LTDs making it a fantastic guitar in all aspects, deceptively so for being under $USD1000.

With that out of the way, here are some pics.

P1010420.jpg

P1010419.jpg

P1010421.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Sweet axe! :hbang:

I've always thought that the Stealths have quite a small body though (and thus the neck dive maybe shouldn't come as a surprise)... That Jazz III looks huge in the pic :lol:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I always used to hate on BC Richs, even when my buddy Nick was doing his damnedest to convince me that they were seriously lifting their game and were definitely on the up and up.

I guess he was right after all. :lol:

Sweet axe! :hbang:

I've always thought that the Stealths have quite a small body though (and thus the neck dive maybe shouldn't come as a surprise)... That Jazz III looks huge in the pic :lol:

The body is much smaller than I thought, and way smaller than pictures make it out to be, which they haven't helped dive-wise by placing the strap buttons pretty much parallel.

Also, the reason the Jazz III looks so huge is because it's a Jazz III XL. :cool:

mrhankey87

Banned
Reaction score
I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, can't wait!!!!!!! :D:D:D

btw, I'll do the 18v mod, too.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, can't wait!!!!!!! :D:D:D

btw, I'll do the 18v mod, too.

It would have been a lot easier for me if my dad's work bench didn't resemble a middle ages blacksmith. :lol:

Edhyena

CHEMTRAIL X ©
Reaction score
so more on the neck..... is it thicker than an Ibby? like RG-7 or UV Thick???

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
As BIG fan of Chuck RIP and Marc Rizzo and I can only say that this guitar is just AWESOME

Semi-pro

Reaction score
The body is much smaller than I thought, and way smaller than pictures make it out to be, which they haven't helped dive-wise by placing the strap buttons pretty much parallel.

I've heard ppl making tin-weights in the electronics cavity or attaching a weight of some sort (ie. from a diving belt) to the strap button on the bridge side of the body.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
yeah, if i can manage to get the other music gear that i need to buy way before i need a 3rd guitar, by the end of this year, a Stealth 7 is going to be my reward to myself

etohk

Reaction score
I had to move my strap button on my rizzo to the bottom horn now the neck has a nice upward angle for easier hand comfort on upper fret access.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
As a big Death fan, I fully approve of this purchase.:yesway:

Now I really hate being broke......:noplease:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
so more on the neck..... is it thicker than an Ibby? like RG-7 or UV Thick???

Thicker than both.

I've heard ppl making tin-weights in the electronics cavity or attaching a weight of some sort (ie. from a diving belt) to the strap button on the bridge side of the body.

I really can't fit anything else inside the cavity. :lol:

I might see how I go taping some to the bridge side of my strap. I was conservative with moving the pin next to the trem recess but it still dives a fair bit and I'm not drilling another hole 'cos it was a pain in the ass and took a chip out of the paint (which thankfully is totally covered by the strap pin).

Latest posts

')