NGD: Strandberg + 2 Ibanez. Yay

• Thread starter diagrammatiks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to go to the states and pick up 2 guitars that my buddy was holding for me. The third Ibanez I bought right before I left. It was waiting for me when I got back. Three new things in a week. Not bad not bad.

Here is one picture. I have no sunlight and my room is packed with baby things so this potato cam picture is all I got.

IMG-2023.jpg

Left to right
Ibanez S5470
Ibanez SV5470
Strandberg Salen Deluxe

Some thoughts and stuff

Ibanez S5470 -
Pretty much bought this one a whim. I was just browsing my local classifieds when this came up. I think prices for these guys have stayed way too high due to rarity. But this one popped up for like 600 bucks and I bought it immediately.

Fit and finish is fantastic. It feels about the same as my old S1220. The only difference is the gloss finish. I actually prefer the more matte finish of the older S prestiges.

Pickups are ok. Fretwork and everything is great for a 10 year old guitar.

The edge zero II/zps is a bit weird. There are a lot of reports of sustain issues on this guitar. I'm not hearing too much of it on mine. I would definitely prefer the edge or lo-pro but this bridge isn't too bad. I really like the action of the bridge. It's much smoother then the knife edge action of the edges. But just knowing its made in china or somewhere...feels bad man. also seems very complicated.

Definitely pretty happy with this guy. Wouldn't mind picking up a 5570 or 6570 with the edge in the future. But again these guys hold their prices too well. Not very good value used.

Ibanez SV5470
Picked this up from @nyxzz Thanks for not liking this guitar man.
What value. 600 dollars or so and came with SD Holcombs. Even if the guitar was only average I'd be happy with that value. So much value.

That being said this guitar is the shit. Honestly, it's awesome. It's so awesome that I can safely say...Hey Ibanez screw you for discontinuing this guitar. And to everyone else...screw you for liking the AZ series more then this guitar. You are bad and your tastes are bad.

Fantastic neck and fretwork for a 10 year old guitar. The body and finish have seen better days but no big deal.

Trem was originally set up for down only but I reset it to float. Great tuning stability and action with the ball bearing design.

Holcombs - The holbombs are awesome. They are kinda like BKP warps but less dry and pissed off. They sound like garbage split though. Seriously, the worst split sounds I've ever heard and the stock SV5470 middle pickup is just the worst. Ya positions 2/4 and split are unusable on this guitar. I'm going to try and fix it by replacing the middle pickup maybe with a quarter pounder.

General Ibanez S series rant.
Ibanez has no clue what they are doing with the S series. It's like these things were someone's love child and then that guy got fired.
The S5470 has a three piece body. It's a 2000 new guitar with a three piece body. Why. The SV5470 has a one piece body and 2 piece top so clearly they can build these things with one piece bodies.

The SV5470 looks awesome. 3 direct mount pickups, binding all that jazz. The S5470 has pickup rings. Why? Clearly they aren't necessary. Ibanez sells the current 6570 with 2 pickup rings. Come one Ibanez its 2019. Don't sell a 2k+ guitar with pickups rings. Jeez.

Oh well. I think I'm the only person left in the world that likes the S anyway.

Strandberg Salen

Yay this guitar gave me a boner the second it was announced.

The Good - It's a headless tele. +9000 points. Quality and fit and finish isn't any worse then my other Strandbergs.

The side dots are mostly straight. Biggest flaw is a chip in the side pocket wall where the neck meets the body. Looks like it was messed up and then they decided screw it and just finished over it. If this was a new guitar I'd definitely email them about the quality...but it's used so screw it. But this is definitely one of those flaws which is a bit glaring because there's no way you could do that yourself to the guitar during normal usage.

The Bad - It's heavy. It's much heavier then it should be. I mean it's not super heavy but it's comparable to both my old Anderson Hollow T and my buddies Anderson. On paper it should be way lighter. Granted it's alder and maple so in theory it should be a bit heavier then my swamp and maple strand bergs. But it feels significantly heavier.

Pickups - these pickups are bad. Suhr makes bad pickups. There I said it. I've used a number of their pickups and played a number of their guitars. Just sterile and bad. Do not like. I'm replacing them with a set of Andersons. I replaced the bridge already. Much much better.

ok that's it. Lemme know if you guys have any questions.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty bullshit how they've treated the Saber the last two decades or so. They even have multiple signature Sabers which should tell them it's a viable design.

Those SVs were something else. Absolute monster, low-key player guitars and well ahead of thier time. In a better universe they would have chugged along until non-locking trems were more popular and we'd have SVs with AZ specs.

It's weird how those S5470s hold value considering how much of a shit show thier release was, and how long that model was around: 5 years, which is an eternity for a Prestige model to stick around. I was never a big fan, but that TKS finish is easily in Ibanez' top five for being classy.

Great haul, dude. Were these the ones you were talking about rehabbing?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty bullshit how they've treated the Saber the last two decades or so. They even have multiple signature Sabers which should tell them it's a viable design.

Those SVs were something else. Absolute monster, low-key player guitars and well ahead of thier time. In a better universe they would have chugged along until non-locking trems were more popular and we'd have SVs with AZ specs.

It's weird how those S5470s hold value considering how much of a shit show thier release was, and how long that model was around: 5 years, which is an eternity for a Prestige model to stick around. I was never a big fan, but that TKS finish is easily in Ibanez' top five for being classy.

Great haul, dude. Were these the ones you were talking about rehabbing?

I would love to know the thought process behind these. The S6570 hasn't been updated in over 2 years now. So they sell enough of these to not cancel the line...but not enough that they actually want to upgrade or promote them.

But they do hold value very well. People are asking 1k for good condition. People want 1500-1600 for 5570 and 5670s.

The SV is super duper nice though. Looks like they canceled them in 2016 or so. Must have been right when they were deciding to make the AZ series.

Such a shame. These things are really good. I'm regretting not getting the other one that was up on my classifieds. Went for 850 too. The one that is up now is 1500.

Ya, I'm putting the trem covers and truss rods back on these two. But I've also got an 1820x and a 2120x that I'm cleaning and redoing the electronics on.

Used prestiges are cheap but the ones are like are getting pretty old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Owned that S5470 model at some point, sold it to someone here (don't remember who), as the DActivators weren't my thing. That SV looks sexy though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would love to know the thought process behind these. The S6570 hasn't been updated in over 2 years now. So they sell enough of these to not cancel the line...but not enough that they actually want to upgrade or promote them.

But they do hold value very well. People are asking 1k for good condition. People want 1500-1600 for 5570 and 5670s.

The SV is super duper nice though. Looks like they canceled them in 2016 or so. Must have been right when they were deciding to make the AZ series.

Such a shame. These things are really good. I'm regretting not getting the other one that was up on my classifieds. Went for 850 too. The one that is up now is 1500.

Ya, I'm putting the trem covers and truss rods back on these two. But I've also got an 1820x and a 2120x that I'm cleaning and redoing the electronics on.

Used prestiges are cheap but the ones are like are getting pretty old.

The SV only available for about a year or two in North America and Europe, but lasted almost a decade in Japan. Traditionally, home market is much friendlier to the Saber, which is probably why it's still available worldwide.

Reaction score
I've been out of phase with the saber models, when I can buy, there aren't interesting models, when those models pop out, I can't buy them... then there were some pretty nice RGs with fantastic specs and... you know the rest. An S5547 would be the shit for me...

guitaardvark

Reaction score
Good to see some Saber hype. Always will be my favorite Ibanez shape, and my favorite guitar of all time is a S1520FB. Also it's interesting that you say the Holcombs are awful split since I really liked mine. I'd bet it's the middle pickup that's ruining them.

Hngd!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
When you say the Strandy is heavy, like how heavy? I don’t see why it would be. I have a 6 string classic that is alder/maple and is Unchambered. It also has a trem and more pickups than a Salem. It weighs 4.8lbs.

Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot to say, nice guitar day you gave there, probably will last more than a week. The TRUE saber is fantastic, I want the 7 string version of it (wrong spelled model back there, it's either the S5427 or S5527, being the later one more interesting due to the LoPro)...

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
Before I got my newest guitar (Kiesel Vanquish), I played the crap out of my Prestige S1220. I’ve owned it for 10 years and i plan to own it for many more. Right now I have a Dimarzios in it, a creme Super D in the bridge and a purple PAF Pro in the neck. I want to change them out at some point, at least the purple PAF Pro, as it and the Super D were in another guitar, and I wanted to upgrade the Quantum pickups for cheap, so I just swapped them. I need to play it more before making any big decisions.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Congrats and thank you for bringing up the issues with the S series. I don't understand why they've completely abandoned them at the prestige level, especially since those Purple Doom S-7s sold so well!

xzacx

Reaction score
Pickups - these pickups are bad. Suhr makes bad pickups. There I said it. I've used a number of their pickups and played a number of their guitars. Just sterile and bad. Do not like. I'm replacing them with a set of Andersons. I replaced the bridge already. Much much better.

I couldn't agree with this more. I assume that's why I don't think Suhrs ever sound any good. I don't think they're all that great period—probably not a more overrated brand IMO. Great new guitars though regardless, I love that S5470.

Musiscience

Reaction score
HNDG! This Strandberg looks amazing. Headless tele got me very excited too also when they were announced.

I couldn't agree with this more. I assume that's why I don't think Suhrs ever sound any good. I don't think they're all that great period—probably not a more overrated brand IMO. Great new guitars though regardless, I love that S5470.

It's crazy how we are all chasing a different tone. I really like Suhr SSH+ and SSV pickups, especially in mahogany. To me they sound very articulate while hot enough for many of the styles I play.

Very curious to try Anderson pickups now too and Anderson guitars in general. They are really uncommon around here though, so it might be a while before I can.

pfizer

Reaction score
Gorgeous looking guitars there sir.

How does the SV Synchroni-ZR trem compare to something like an EBMM JP6 or Majesty floating bridge? I used to own both an SV5470 and a JP6 but never realized in the short amount of time I owned the Ibanez that the trem could be set to floating.

IIRC, Marco Sfogli's previous Ibanez signature, before his current AZ sig, had the same SynchroniZR bridge and if it's as good as I've heard, I might get that instead of something with a locking nut.

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I bought an SV5470F a couple months ago and I'm absolutely in love with it. I swapped the pickups with a set of Alpha/Omegas though. I really wasn't a fan of the stock pups. HNGD! I'm starting to like the S series more than RG.

nyxzz

Reaction score
Glad you like it man, always love it when things find a home with my SSO brethren!