NGD: Strandberg CL7

• Thread starter zasonlee89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
To be honest, customers should not tell them to improve. They had a significantly price increase on this year's models and they are sub par last year's guitars (in comparison).
Just check some NGDs from 2013s batch... Tops are at least AAAA flame and no user reported issues. Being said that, you can see Mr. Letchford`s builds to be perfect with super highly figured tops and fretboards (I carefully examined the 3d gallery of the brown CL7). As a customer myself (pending blue CL7), this is misleading advertisement and it is a shame that most CL owners have reported the same problem.

Edit: sorry about the rant.... I'm sure the guitar plays and sounds amazing. Happy new guitar day!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
^^ Yup. I was probably going to buy a CL, but it's like they draw some lumber from the "endorser or catalog" stock and another from the "random paying customer" stock. A huge discrepancy, and hilarious in light of Chris's talk in the promo vid about flamed maple being consistent and implying you'll receive a guitar that looks just like his.

BlackStar7

Lord Autumnbottom
Reaction score
^^ Yup. I was probably going to buy a CL, but it's like they draw some lumber from the "endorser or catalog" stock and another from the "random paying customer" stock. A huge discrepancy, and hilarious in light of Chris's talk in the promo vid about flamed maple being consistent and implying you'll receive a guitar that looks just like his.

Even the Walnut topped Bodens had this going on. They were shipping some to customers that had ZERO figuring while Aaron Marshall and the few other artists they gave them to got gorgeous tops. I know walnut can have a lot of variation, but between this and the number of issues in recent NGDs, it's still kind of a bummer given how expensive they've gotten.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Even the Walnut topped Bodens had this going on. They were shipping some to customers that had ZERO figuring while Aaron Marshall and the few other artists they gave them to got gorgeous tops. I know walnut can have a lot of variation, but between this and the number of issues in recent NGDs, it's still kind of a bummer given how expensive they've gotten.

Happens a lot sadly, makes sense to give their artists excellent looking cuts of wood, but makes no sense to skimp on a customer's piece. I'm still eagerly awaiting an update from Allan to see the top on mine, I hope it looks good at the very least, which is something I shouldn't HAVE to worry about.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Astral really needs to work on aesthetic QC. My washburn boden played fantastically but it also had a slew of build issues. Im disappointed to hear you aren't totally satisfied. Im glad, however, that it plays great.

I actually called them out on this on facebook a few weeks ago and they completely dismissed what chris letchford said in the interview about flamed tops being similar. I mean if Carvin can consistently get good quality 4a flamed tops for 1000$ guitars why the shit can't Astral for a 3450$ guitar. I just don't get it.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
I actually called them out on this on facebook a few weeks ago and they completely dismissed what chris letchford said in the interview about flamed tops being similar. I mean if Carvin can consistently get good quality 4a flamed tops for 1000$ guitars why the shit can't Astral for a 3450$ guitar. I just don't get it.

They wanna make bank =p

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
They wanna make bank =p

Is that worth disappointing hundreds of people :idea:?

I suppose their answer is yes after S7 haha.

Business is business I suppose. Can't say I agree with their practices but to each their own.

zasonlee89

Reaction score
I wonder Ola is aware about this.. also I forgot to mention took me almost 7 month to get my guitar. And I know lot of people didnt their guitar in time. I don't care they are doing by batch or not. If they can't keep promise, dont advertise it..

I hope they don't turn out like S7Gberg. Favoring artist is totall BS. I notice some artist get to do some custom finish by production guitar. Theres lot of people waiting to get their stuff to start order but they get the shortcut.

Blackheim

Guitar Emperor
Reaction score
I just find it disappointing that they came up with a great concept, incredible artists and "affordable" prices and they're just delivering guitars that are not par with the business model they presented to use when creating the company. The disappointment ratio (even with tiny tiny flaws) is way too big compared to companies delivering 10x in quantity for less money, faster turnaround and consistency (Carvin was a great comparison).

revivalmode

Reaction score
I'm really pissed if they really favor artists, I never thought of that... And I live in Europe so I have to pay another 20% EXTRA on import taxes so I really can't afford paying 3200€ (which is 4k USD...) for my upcoming Boden if it isn't top notch...

I wonder Ola is aware about this.. also I forgot to mention took me almost 7 month to get my guitar. And I know lot of people didnt their guitar in time. I don't care they are doing by batch or not. If they can't keep promise, dont advertise it..

You had to wait 7 months for a production model?

zasonlee89

Reaction score
I'm really pissed if they really favor artists, I never thought of that... And I live in Europe so I have to pay another 20% EXTRA on import taxes so I really can't afford paying 3200€ (which is 4k USD...) for my upcoming Boden if it isn't top notch...

You had to wait 7 months for a production model?

Yes I placed my order 19th NOV 2013. I got it on 06 JUN 2014.

that is 6 month and 2 weeks. My guitar was supposed to ship out end of april(5month) but had terrible stain bleed so They sent back to washburn shop. but somehow they still couldn't get stain right.

Ive seen reply that one guy took 11month to get his guitar. so I'm not the worst case...

revivalmode

Reaction score
Yes I placed my order 19th NOV 2013. I got it on 06 JUN 2014.

that is 6 month and 2 weeks. My guitar was supposed to ship out end of april(5month) but had terrible stain bleed so They sent back to washburn shop. but somehow they still couldn't get stain right.

Ive seen reply that one guy took 11month to get his guitar. so I'm not the worst case...

Wow, that's really unacceptable actually...I mean the waiting time AND the stain bleed. I was already looking forward to have mine soon in a month, two months at max because I ordered mine at the end of March and they said the waiting time is 90-120 days...

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm glad I got to skip the wait and simply get a Boden that's already almost done. If it's not up to par it's going right back, but then again hard to screw up a stain when it's all over the body right? I guess that's why they're doing the stain on the entire body and not just the top or something. I was put off from ordering the CL7 I wanted because the process seemed to switch right when I was about to order, you have a waitlist to get on and they email you when a batch opens up so you can place your order then your "4 months" begins.

That and the now defunct payment options leaves you paying Paypal Fees on top of the balance owed to them. Even though their catalog shows advertises very differently. And this isn't Ede's fault, I was told the guitars were 10 days out or less from the day I paid my deposit on Ede's existing orders on May 9th. Still waiting on mine to even get to assembly and finalize all the steps, which I'm hoping is soon. I knew 3-4 months was wishful thinking, and minimizing to 1 month wait times won't be happening for awhile until they expand. I just better not be getting a really bad looking top on mine.

silent suicide

Winter is coming
Reaction score
Astral really needs to work on aesthetic QC. My washburn boden played fantastically but it also had a slew of build issues. Im disappointed to hear you aren't totally satisfied. Im glad, however, that it plays great.

Agreed here, mine doesn't have the super tight flame like Chris has on his guitars, but I am pretty happy with how my top turned out anyway even if it isn't super tight flame.
All in all, even with the issues, the guitar plays great, but I am not justifying the recent pricing when the guitars aren't up to the specs.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score

Which is why I'm getting a Carvin as soon as they announce a headless 7... Which might be in the next 30 years...

#neverlosehope

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the QC on these have been pretty disappointing to say the least. I had been considering one of these previously, but not anymore. :shrug: I've seen entirely too many QC issues and subpar tops to feel comfortable sending them my money, in addition to thinking it's bullshit that they force you to pay their PayPal fees. Won't go into a long rehashed rant here, but that is something that they should be factoring into their cost of doing business. You don't raise your prices AND add an additional 3% for PayPal fees on top because you didn't know how to price things correctly originally. That's bush league. :2c: :lol:

Latest posts

')