NGD- Strictly 7+1 custom shop

• Thread starter mountainjam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
20120327_174631.jpg

100_0128.jpg

100_0131.jpg

100_0129.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0132.jpg

100_0136.jpg

100_0134.jpg

Specs

Swamp ash body wings
5 piece maple neck through
27.5 scale
Figured maple top
Birdseye maple fingerboard
Stainless frets
Bare knuckle aftermaths
Hipshot bridge
Sperzel locking
Flush mount strap locks

Review

So Im very pleased with how the guitar came out. By no means is it the best guitar Ive ever played, and I wasnt expecting it to be, but its a lot of bang for the buck. Its going to make a great backup guitar for me. The guitar sounds great, its very light weight for a guitar of such big size, looks killer in person, and has a nice feel. The neck is thicker than Im used to, but it doesnt present a problem. The guitar does have some minor imperfections, but nothing effecting playability and are to small to be seen by camera.
Jim was a really nice dude to work with, and seems to care a lot about customer service. I have no problem recomending s7 to anybody looking for a guitar in such a price range :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
I really dig the unpainted neck!
I'm very jealous! Someday.. someday... :squint:

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
wow that finish is incredible!!!! but damn thats one huge control cavity! it takes up almost that whole wing!

InfinityAndThree

Reaction score
Haha a S7 + 1 as a backup. I can only dream...
On another note, that looks fucking awesome! Love the purple and maple combo.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
congrats. shes a beauty. i have an s7+1 in the works with some awesome woods!!

Bigsby

Nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
thats a gorgeous guitar, i would kill to play a S7 that neck cutaway looks so comfy

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
Dude, that's hell-a nice! That top is great looking in that finish and the bursted edges makes the neck "pop". Nice tight routes & some good figuring on the back as well. How do you like the 27.5 scale on an 8?

you leaving that couch behind in the move? :lol:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good and a lot better than the other S7s I've seen but dang you loose like almost the entire lower wing to that cavity.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Perfect for storing essential guitar accessories, like cables, tubes, capos, and slides!

mountainjam

Reaction score
Hey thanks everybody for the nice words :metal:. I think my guitar is a sign of whats to come from s7 in the future.

So the control cavity is huge, but it almost gives the guitar a semi hollow vibe. It is absolutely the loudest unplugged solid body that Ive played. The tone is quite nice.

Dude, that's hell-a nice! That top is great looking in that finish and the bursted edges makes the neck "pop". Nice tight routes & some good figuring on the back as well. How do you like the 27.5 scale on an 8?

you leaving that couch behind in the move? :lol:

:lol:

I think all of my ngd's have taken place on this awesome couch.
So Im undecided on the scale length. Im tuned ebeadgbe. With an 80 for the low e, its very loose, while the other strings are very tight. Going to a longer scale would fix the looseness, but I imagine the other 7 strings would be way to tight. I much prefer FF for 8 strings because of this.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
^agreed, I would've thought the cavity would be a problem, but the guitar is basically chambered and folks pay premium for that around here :lol:. Strandberg did the same thing to bulb's build and no one had anything to say :scratch:

Excellent guitar dude! I'm sorta pissed I didnt go with the neck-through on my build, because now I have to look at all these sweet heels and wonder if my baby could've been better haha. HNGD!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool. What makes you want to keep that as a backup/not the best guitar you've played? It looks pretty well done.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Cool. What makes you want to keep that as a backup/not the best guitar you've played? It looks pretty well done.

It is well done ;)
I intentionally ordered the s7+1 as a backup to my ff TK 8 string. I wanted a guitar I could travel with and gig in the future and not worry about. I said it wasnt the best guitar Ive played because its not, and I wanted an honest review.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
That finish looks really nice. And +1 to the unfinished/uncolored neck.

Happy NGD. I'd kill to have a backup that nice.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

So Ive been playing this guitar exclusively since I got it. I feel like Ive completely adjusted to it now, it feels VERY different than my other 8, but its a very comfortable guitar to play. Im enjoying it very much and its hard to put down at times.

')