NGD: Strictly 7 Cobra

• Thread starter ballstix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ballstix

Reaction score
After a long wait, I finally have my new axe! Replacing a Carvin and I can definitely say I prefer it.

Specs:
-Mahogany body with Gabon Ebony top
-5-piece bolt-on Mahogany / Ebony neck with Ebony-topped headstock
-Macassar Ebony fretboard with no inlays
-3 over 4 style headstock
-Ivoroid binding around everything
-Hipshot hardtail bridge
-BKP Cold Sweat Neck / Painkiller Bridge
-Stainless steel medium jumbo frets
-Sperzel locking tuners
-3-way blade switch
-Volume push/pull splits neck and tone push/pull splits bridge; hum canceling in middle position

The guitar feels awesome to play and it's super easy to play.

PICS:
IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

Jim's been a hell of a trooper with this one. I think it looks fantastic! Sounds pretty good, too :).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DesertBurst

need moar dorrar
Reaction score
looks beautiful. the top reminds me of blackmachine guitars.
how does the neck feel?

ballstix

Reaction score
The neck feels honestly more like my classical guitar than anything else. Except with much lower action so it's easier to play. It's interesting, and in a good way! I've only had it for a couple of hours so I'm gonna shred it up some more to formulate better opinions :p.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
It's so awesome... until I get to the headstock. The finish and neck is wicked though.

whosdealin

Reaction score
It's so awesome... until I get to the headstock. The finish and neck is wicked though.

Yeah I agree... Its still awesome though. Nicest one Ive seen so far. Does he do custom shaped headstocks if you dont jive with his design ?

ballstix

Reaction score
Yeah I agree... Its still awesome though. Nicest one Ive seen so far. Does he do custom shaped headstocks if you dont jive with his design ?

Dunno man. I dug the design so I didn't bother asking, but it sounds like Jim's gonna be realllllllly busy next year with new stuff. Hell, maybe it'll include a new headstock, but regardless I'd shoot him an email and ask yourself. Throughout the whole process he was very reluctant to say no to anything.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Damn I am really starting to like the Cobra body shape. I never noticed how cool it was until the last few I have seen.

And this one just looks completely badass because it has a Blackmachine style about it.

I need to try one of these...

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you like ebony? :lol:
Beautiful guitar you have there :agreed:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn I am really starting to like the Cobra body shape. I never noticed how cool it was until the last few I have seen.

And this one just looks completely badass because it has a Blackmachine style about it.

I need to try one of these...

^ this:agreed:
I really like that body shape.

shogunate

Reaction score
The headstocks are fine by me but that neck joint looks formidable :lol:

There needs to be more ebony.... Ebony is so damn good I'm surprised it's not used in more areas of guitars than just the fingerboard.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Awesome! Welcome to the S7G family:wavey:

I don't know why I didn't do a 5 piece neck on mine, old age, brain fart etc. I will for sure when I order another S7G [hoping for a V that suits me or some other pointy style i.e. Explorerish etc] though I will likely still have Wenge on the neck wood, love that stuff. hmmm, Wenge and Purple Heart 5pc. neck next time, note to self ha. I told Jim I may be voiding the warranty on mine because I am going to slightly reshape the neck joint. It is only getting in the way at the low B and E at the 25th & 26th frets given my hand size. Though I rarely go there it gives me an excuse to have fun doing a little mod work on a guitar that really needs none lol.

I love the Ebony you envisioned. I think it looks hot as hell, the whole guitar does. I see Jim got you a great piece of Mahogany and you went with the behind the bout strap location. Feels good eh and looks better too! I am liking the head stock on mine more every time I pull it outta the case honestly and I think your reverse looks great!

Enjoy having the best looking S7G to date. Because I am going to complete the finish on my Loomis tomorrow and then start the finish on my S7G Cobra... [j/k] :lol: I hope mine looks half as good when I am done with it.

There is nothing I don't like on your guitar, great vision!
Two questions -
1. What scale did you choose?
2. Where did the GOTM link go? This has my vote...
[oh, I believe that the SS.org system resized your pix per the data on your posts pictures? Maybe it flipped them too?]

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i am lovin' these ebony topped guitars...i wish it was a more common practice

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I had my glasses off, because I was about to go to bed... I had to put them on again and look through your pics again...

Sick guitar, man, great way to usher in a new year :yesway:

Latest posts

')