NGD: Strictly 7 Solar 8

• Thread starter Albake21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So here we are, I have joined the ERG club! This is my first ever 8 string so we will see how it goes. First impressions, not bad at all for both the guitar itself and playability of an 8. As a heavy 7 string player, this is definitely a pretty big adjustment. The hardest part is the 27.5" scale. As someone who is used to playing 25.5 - 26.5, this thing is like a monster.

The neck is okay, not really my cup of tea. It's super flat, which is perfectly fine, but the shoulders are pretty big. It makes me change the way I normally play which who knows, might not be a bad thing. All in all, I'm pretty happy with this being my first 8 string. As a big fan of Ola's, I was pretty excited to own one of his S7 signatures. It's pretty fun to play an 8, but we will see how long it lasts in my collection. I definitely don't see myself shifting focus to 8 strings anytime soon.

Specs:
- Northern Ash wings
- Maple/Bubinga neck
- Fully bound Ebony fretboard
- 27 frets
- 27.5" scale
- Nailbomb Alnico Bridge
- Painkiller Neck

View media item 1106View media item 1108View media item 1107View media item 1109View media item 1110View media item 1111

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Was this the one on GC's website? I'd been following it for a while and thought about purchasing it due to their return policy.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Was this the one on GC's website? I'd been following it for a while and thought about purchasing it due to their return policy.
Nope, I got this from a trade. That one at GC is still up for grabs. I'd say for the price, it's definitely worth it. I don't know if I would pay the original $2k+ price tag for it new, but I'd pay up to about $1300 for it used and still be very happy.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool!

When I got an 8 string, I thought I’d shift everything over to 8s. But I really am more comfortable with a 7-string.

The 8 still is lots of fun though.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
HNGD! What ended up happening to S7G in the end? From memory they started turning out a few duds and then all their artists left but I can't remember what happened after that.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
HNGD! What ended up happening to S7G in the end? From memory they started turning out a few duds and then all their artists left but I can't remember what happened after that.
Awesome guitar!!! Happy NGD!

So whats the story with S7? Do they still exist?
read the namm thread and kirk windstein thread for an overview.
http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/s7g-strictly-7-guitars-namm-2015-thread.288169/
http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/kirk-windstein-with-strictly-7-guitars.326233/
keith's sig s7 trainwreck:
https://www.facebook.com/keith.merrow1/posts/574128132615890
the infamous youtube rant:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

Yeah S7 doesn't have the best track record that's why I said I would never pay the full $2k new for this guy. But for what I traded for it/what it was selling for, I'm more than happy with what I got. It's about on par with my Ibanez Prestiges.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah S7 doesn't have the best track record that's why I said I would never pay the full $2k new for this guy. But for what I traded for it/what it was selling for, I'm more than happy with what I got. It's about on par with my Ibanez Prestiges.

Yeah, you got a solid deal for sure. :agreed:

It's been long enough that if it was one of the ones that fell apart it would have happened by now.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I have nothing against your guitar, it looks pretty good, but I know some of their shoddier work is still floating around out there. caveat emptor and all that.
I have an s7 boden, and it's a pretty solid guitar, minus the last owner putting fucking pickup rings on it. :pissed:

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
@KnightBrolaire Cheers for the links. I remember Keith and Ola leaving, would have just been before I stopped posting here for a while. Had no idea they resurfaced at a later NAMM. Bit of a shit-show!

The Ola-8s were one of the hottest 8s at the time. It's a pity everything blew up :(

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
curious i could never tell with strictly 7, but does this guitar have an angled headstock?

tanks

jmeezle

Reaction score
Their neck profile is atrocious. Loved how my old S7G 8 string sounded but playing it was a chore. I was bummed to sell it but I couldn't gel with the rounded 2x4 neck profile.

')