NGD Suhr (Limba, Waterfall Burl, BKPs) + Drama

• Thread starter DakiEnt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DakiEnt

Reaction score
I just received my custom Suhr Modern. If you aren't interested in the drama, scroll down for pics & specs.

After putting a lot of thought into the design/specs, I pulled the trigger on my "dream" custom Suhr through Matt's Music in May 2013. The build was on the books to begin in June, finish in July of 2013. After a significant delay--was never told why--I received the guitar the week of Thanksgiving (November, 2013).

It was drop dead beautiful, but once I plugged it in I became aware of a significant knot on the neck, where my thumb would sit, below the 3rd fret. (I felt it before I saw it). Bummer! I have owned several Suhr's, and my understanding of their QC process was second to none. Not sure how they missed that.

At that point I was dealing directly with the guys at Suhr, and they were very gracious and apologetic. They sent me a return label and offered to re-build the neck. They also allowed me to pick my fretboard and neck wood, which is usually an upcharge. I was told ~6 weeks for the neck rebuild. I am a firm believer that everyone makes mistakes, what matters is how they are handled. So, I was cool about it.

So...3 months later, on my birthday (Feb 24, now 2014 ) I got a call with bad news. My guitar was done, but somehow it was build with "stock" wood and not the woods I had hand-chosen, including a killer striped maccassar fretboard I picked. I was told I could take it as is, or they could re-build it again. Neck #3. Seriously? I was pretty pissed at this point, and I asked for a partial refund. I considered just cancelling the build entirely, but I REALLY liked the original guitar minus the knot. They told me I could have a free Suhr pedal of my choice (I use an Axe FX). I pushed (I was pissed!)--and I should mention that Matt was 100% behind me on this. I eventually received a refund for...let' say, enough to buy any high-end set of BKPs. I proceeded picking out my woods again. Happily, the fretboard and neck I chose were actually more to my liking than neck #2. They went out of their way to find me a cool "stripey" piece of wood for the fretboard.

Okay, so I was told the build was in the final stages last week, but I was surprised to see an in-stock Suhr at Matt's Music last week that was a full blown, blatant copy of my custom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-S...G-/271514678388?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f37893474

Actually, here is another one (at least with a non-reverse headstock!):

Suhr Modern | eBay

Now, full disclosure, at the Suhr NAMM party one of the Suhr guys (super cool dude) told me my Suhr was his all time favorite (sweet!), and that they would be spec'ing some "similar, but different enough" builds for their dealers. Well, I was kinda flattered, no sweat. But I didn't expect that these "copies" would be on the dealer shelves before I got my original. They are soooo similar also, have a look! Same waterfall burl top, same color, same black hardware, same reverse headstock, same blank fretboard.... But, in the end, what is most frustrating is that I should have really had mine first, right? To Matt's credit, he let me know he spoke up to the Suhr guys about this being "not right" more than once.

Well, the guitar is amazing, and I mean AMAZING. It is not my first Suhr, and I love the guitars they make. It is EXACTLY what I was going for tone wise (maple over limba with BKPs!) and aesthetically. I also asked to have JS sign the headstock, and based on the circumstances, they told me no problem.

Finally, specs: Maple burl top/headstock, limba body, maccassar fretboard, cocobolo neck, BKP Blackhawks (I provided), Hipshot fixed bridge, black hardware, reverse headstock, oh and fixed hipshot hardtail.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about all of this. Feel free to ask me any questions. The guitar itself is absolutely incredible. Would I order another Suhr: not sure. I have very mixed feelings right now, which is too bad because the guitar is mind-blowing. By the way, I would not hesitate to order a guitar through Matt again. He was as dialed as he could have possibly been through this and always had my back. :yesway:

Quick iPhone pics (more to come):

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JLocrian

Reaction score
That's gorgeous, dude! All the drama is kinda a bummer, but that beauty seems to be worth the wait! You've definitely got me lusting for a Suhr now :lol:

HNGD! :shred:

DakiEnt

Reaction score
Okay, I have a question for you guys about the Hipshot bridge. Does this look normal to you? The saddles are not anywhere near touching the bridge. Also, that doesn't look like a Hipshot that I know (see 2nd pic). Hmmm:

Here is my other 6 string Hipshot bridge (another guitar). Looks more normal saddle height-wise...

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Great taste!!
If she sounds as good as she looks then you're one lucky man!

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
That is indeed a Hipshot, they have models called both "hardtail" and "fixed". That's the hardtail.

That's a beauty though, congrats!

iamnoah262

Reaction score
That top is so effing sexy... I've never played a suhr but if it plays how it looks than I would consider giving my leg for one. The drama section sucks but kudos to you for sticking it out. I bet you'll appreciate this beauty so much more now too! HNGD man.

-Noah

Matthew

Reaction score
Let's just leave another comment about that amazing top. Any chance of hi-res pics soon?

HNGD!

pylyo

Reaction score
Looks amazing! HNGD!
I have seen that one on ebay and was thinking of pulling the trigger but I'm wanting a roasted maple neck instead, so I'll order one soon. All other specs are staying pretty much the same... love the top.

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
Looks spectacular!
...but yeah, kind of bogus that they were already spitting out production models before they'd finished (essentially) the prototype :squint:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
While that guitar is amazing and GAS inducing your story makes me lose some respect for Suhr.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
It's the classic type hipshot hardtail. The other pic is the contour bridge.

mwcarl

Reaction score
That is one of the bridges that Hipshot offers and that setup looks totally normal for the saddles. Unless the height screws are all the way up, the only part of the saddle that touches the baseplate are the height screws.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair, spec-wise, Suhr had already put out several guitars with nearly-identical specs to your order last year or the year before that, so I don't think anything fishy was going on there. :lol: Yours came out great, minus all the drama, so hopefully you dig it! :D

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
To be fair, spec-wise, Suhr had already put out several guitars with nearly-identical specs to your order last year or the year before that, so I don't think anything fishy was going on there. :lol: Yours came out great, minus all the drama, so hopefully you dig it! :D

Thats true, guitarguitar in UK have 2 very similar.

')