NGD: Suhr Modern Buckeye Burl, Reverse Headstock

• Thread starter secretpizza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

secretpizza

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had Suhr fever for a little while now, and after talking to several different sellers I finally settled on this beauty. I'm deeply entrenched in the honeymoon period right now, so I'll re-post after I've had a little more time with it, but right now I think that this might be the finest guitar out of the 100+ I've had the pleasure of owning/trying out during my years of trading. Specs first, then the review:

Suhr Modern, custom ordered by prior owner
Black limba body, Blue denim Buckeye Burl top
Pau Ferro Neck, 25.5" scale
Maccassar ebony fretboard
Reverse Headstock
Suhr locking tuners
Jumbo SS frets
16" radius
No markers except abalone rings at 12th fret
Recessed Gotoh 510 trem
SSH+/SSV pickups, Scott Henderson wiring
Blower switch
Push/pull 'redneck mod' on tone (parallel bridge)

I had high hopes for this guitar based on the specs, and quite frankly my expectations have been exceeded. Every inch of the guitar screams attention to detail and I'm led to believe that the prior owner barely touched it - it hasn't got a mark on it, and there was literally dust under the strings/bridge when I received (still haven't fully cleaned it, but I gave it a bit of lizard spit and wipe down prior to taking the photos).

The 16" radius is perfect for my taste, and modern elliptical neck is just incredible comfortable. Ultimately, the wiring specs on this really made it for me. The Scott Henderson wiring (bypass tone pot on the 2 and 4 positions) make the split coil sounds incredibly spanky and cutting. The blower switch was also a welcome surprise - I always though it'd be like being able to jump quickly to your bridge, but really it gives you the bridge pickup +1. Guthrie Govan describes it as going to 11, and that's exactly right; like an analog boost circuit for leads. It's absolutely killer.

And though I mostly play progressive metal and fusion stuff now, I went through a big Greg Koch phase 3-4 years ago and as a result, chicken pickin' is pretty ingrained in my playing, and the Andy Wood 'redneck mod' on the bridge gives you those tele bridge tones perfectly. It's the icing on top of an already perfect guitar. As I said, I'll re-post in a few weeks when the heart eyes response has faded, but right now, I'm pretty damn happy with it.

IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0303.jpg IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0305.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Super super sick.
I've played a bunch of Suhr Moderns (at local shops) in the last few years and they are some of the best guitars you can touch.
Enjoy it!

secretpizza

Reaction score
Thanks! Pretty happy with the top man, it has an insane amount of detail to it, and the way it's cut it has an interesting symmetry to it.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
6a4c0669d2ff5e7f609475715fc54c30.jpg

secretpizza

Reaction score
Whoa...love the subtle blue denim. How do you like the pau ferro neck?

Very happy with it, it’s super smooth. Reminds me of the Wenge neck on the Schecter USA Nick Johnston. And the Suhr Modern neck carve has got to be the finest neck shape I’ve ever laid hands on, very easy to play.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Interesting contrast between the back - front - headstock. Made me dizzy for a moment, congrats. The fretboard moving like a waterfall towards the headstock is nice as well.