NGD - "Thar She Bowes!"

• Thread starter ovlott
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ovlott

Reaction score
PR0N!

Dat Heel.

Lady and Djents! The Bowes SLx7 #014!

I've had this one for a bit now but have been too busy playing the thing to get some proper pics and give'er an NGD. Long story short I ended up playing a little game of trade roulette with that Carvin TL70 I had.

I had made some good trades more or less but I wasnt fully satisfied with what I was ending up with, so just kept putting things up locally and snagging the first offers that came by that were reasonable. This also gave me some time with some other upper-end guitars such as other Carvins, USA Jacksons, and PRS. Until one day I got an offer from a lovely fellow (Thanks Sinned!) wanting to swap me this for what I had going on at the time!

Now to me this was huge, as I recognized the guitar instantly when I saw some pics. Almost bought it 3 years ago locally :lol: I had been GASing for a Bowes since then too, and it had just happened to be this one!

I tried to capture the neck shape as best I could, but it's very difficult to photograph. One of those things you just have to understand by playing it. Neck profile is very comfy, and fits the shape of my hand almost perfectly. the reverse volute/whoopdy-doo is also awesome for getting those big first fret bends when you want too due to the leverage it gives you. also acts as a muscle memory kind of thing so that my hand knows where its at on the neck when im not looking.

This guitar is by far my favourite guitar I've ever played. The tones I can get out of it are unreal too! Might just be the CL/LF combo in it, but damn it's awesome. I honestly don't know where to begin on how great this thing is. It's light too, I think somewhere near ~6lbs? balanced very well though. The sustain goes for days, and you can feel the guitar ringing everywhere on it when you play a note.

Upper fret access. Access? No, I don't need to "Access" the upper frets on this beast. They are just there, unobstructed and open for the playing without worry of anything getting in the way. lol. And incase anyone missed it, yes, dat heel. Sometimes I just sit there and look at it just because I can.

Let's have some specs shall we?

Roasted Ash one-piece body
Figured European Ash bookmatched top and Headstock.
5 piece Masaranduba/roasted flamed maple neck With Asymmetrical profile and ebony heel block.
Ebony fretboard scalloped 12-25
26" scale with 24 Jumbo nickel frets
Hipshot hardware and all the other lovely details that Brian puts into his designs.

If anyone has any questions about this axe feel free to ask! Brian makes some wicked stuff.

Edit: Oh and apparently this was originally built for Wes Hauch of The Faceless :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Damn.
That almost looks S-series style. Is it as thin as it looks?
That'd be a cool little mojo bonus, I dig Wes' work.
10/10.

For when you eventually show up in this thread, I want one of your guitars one day, Brian. You do some amazing work.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
HNGD. Looks good from front and back :yesway:

I really like the back woods grain against the upper horn and tummy cut.

Skyblue

Reaction score
That headstock could seriously kill someone :lol:

Awesome looking guitars man! HNGD!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
skeels likes those sexy curves. Er... carves. skeels likes the carves...

Oh whatever. skeels likes both.

ovlott

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The guitar is super thin, I think its 1.5" thick in the center according to brians site. The edges definitely play it off as blackmachine thin though lol. Its the perfect medium though between the two however

The scallops actually were very easy to adapt to. This was the first guitar I have owned with scalloped frets and I have to say, leads are easier to pull off with them. They are very natural Imo.

I'll try to get some sound clips up soon for you all to check out! My band and I play Hardcore/Progressive with some Djenty influences so I'll have to see if theyre cool if I use a demo track so you guys can hear the guitar in a mix.

Stay tuned!

ovlott

Reaction score
Oh and the fact it was built for Wes Hauch (not even owned) definitely adds some mojo to the axe. My lead playing has gained some spice to it since then.

MrYakob

Reaction score
Awesome! I miss my Bowes a lot, those things just plain rip!:shred: Would love to pick up a 6 from him in the future.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Oh and the fact it was built for Wes Hauch (not even owned) definitely adds some mojo to the axe. My lead playing has gained some spice to it since then.

What's the story behind that, if you know it? Was it built as a demo guitar for him and never found its way into his hands, or did he request to have it made and later changed his mind, etc. etc.?

haieb

Reaction score
First I was like "eww, yellow :ugh:" and then "holy f**king s**t! This thing looks dangerous! :eek:" I love that headstock :shred:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
What's the story behind that, if you know it? Was it built as a demo guitar for him and never found its way into his hands, or did he request to have it made and later changed his mind, etc. etc.?

I was building this guitar for him for free because I wanted to. I had been talking to Wes for a while before he joined the Faceless about building him a guitar just because i thought he was a killer player. Aside from that there's not much of a story and I haven't really chatted with Wes in quite some time now. I ended up re-finishing the guitar and selling it.

To my knowledge, Wes still owns the 30 inch scale 8 string that I gave him. That being said, i haven't see it once in a pic on his instagram in a looooong time.

The guitar is 1 inch at the edges. :)

The super pointy headstock that someone mentioned looks like it could kill people was annointed "The Murderstock" by another member on Sevenstring.

This was also one of the best guitars I've managed to build. :) I seriously considered keeping it before I bought a couple of crazy tops that I wanted instead.

Latest posts

')