NGD: The Crazy Year Continues (Silverburst Content)

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
My year of crazy G.A.S. continues..

Not that long ago I saw this pop up at one of my usual internet shops and had to jump on it as it ticked way too many of the boxes I was after:

-Norlin Era
-Silverburst
-Re-fretted by someone else (I didn't want to be the one to take that hit)
-Pickups swapped out (So I don't have to feel guilty when I inevitably get the itch to throw Tom Andersons or something in there)

This is a Gibson Les Paul Custom in glorious Silverburst made on February 17th, 1982 according to the serial number decoder. The previous owner was obviously an Adam Jones fan as it's got a Seymour Duncan DDL in the bridge and an SH1-b in the neck and the pickguard is where it belongs, resting in the case compartment.

There's also a mini toggle switch installed that only applies to the bridge pickup. I'm not 100% certain what it's doing when engaged--it acts like a high pass filter where it lops out the extra lows and gives the pickup overall a bit more clarity, but there's no real volume change.

I really don't care much for the neck pickup. It's serviceable, but is crazy dark (like WILDLY dark) making it easily the darkest/least clear neck pickup I've ever played. In recording with the guitar so far I've just been using the mini toggle to make the bridge pickup darker to get a pseudo neck pickup thing going on instead of swapping over to it directly. We'll see how long I keep the neck pickup in there, but there's no rush since I've got the Jackson SL7 or a Jim Root sig with Fralin Big Singles installed for any neck pickup duties I might require.

There's no volute, but the neck is still maple and in great shape. I was relieved to find out how much life the truss rod had when getting it set up--no funny business there with extra washers or it getting gnashed over the years. Seems to be fully settled in and up for whatever play wise. I did my usual setup raising the action from the unplayably stupid low setup it had before and the guitar just relaxed, got comfortable, and rings like a bell.

Overall there's plenty of dings and dents and finish chips, but it's in really great player's condition and has obviously been well loved and played over the years. Hopefully I'll be looking after it for a long time to come or at least until impulsivity strikes again. Going to enjoy the ride while I've got it ❤️

LPC Front.JPG

LPC Back.JPG

LPC Head.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What were the other crazy things?

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Damn, great condition. Im not a huge fan of Tool, they aight, but I did throw a Duncan Distortion in my ‘80 SB LPC and it slays. Congrats my man, welcome to the Norlin SB club!

Estilo

Reaction score
Lovely! So nice to see Norlin era LPCs still in great condition. How much did it set you back by if you don't mind?

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
What were the other crazy things?
Time is a flat circle so it's a bit of a blur but in the last 12-18 months I've had a Wirebird Contour IV, Two Rock Bloomfield Drive, Robben Ford PRS, Dunables, Fender Custom Shop Strat. They were all the best until impulsivity got the better of me again lol. I like to think I've been driving towards just getting a norlin era custom, but we'll see how things shake out in the long run
Damn, great condition. Im not a huge fan of Tool, they aight, but I did throw a Duncan Distortion in my ‘80 SB LPC and it slays. Congrats my man, welcome to the Norlin SB club!
Same. Never been much into Tool, but I've liked Maynard's other projects way better over the years. How's the output on your distortion? I was expecting something super high output and this one's just..not, but in a good way for what I tend to like. Does yours pretty much straight rip or can it be surprisingly versatile?
Lovely! So nice to see Norlin era LPCs still in great condition. How much did it set you back by if you don't mind?
This is about exactly the condition I've been after for awhile now. Nothing structural, but lots of evidence of play wear and the refret is a nice bonus. I won't say exactly how much since I have a good relationship with the shop and they always take good care of me, but it was less than they typically go for on Reverb these days (most likely due to the pickup swap and refret)

ziff9000

Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice looking silverburst! The silver color looks practically brand new.

I bought one a while back before the Adam Jones reissues hyper-inflated the market. Mine has that weird green thing going on with the aged lacquer and has probably been in a bunch of smoky bars since I can't get all of the cigarette smell to go away.

How's the neck on yours? Is it a slim profile or more on the chunky side?

Marked Man

Reaction score
I'm always cool with "player's" condition, because I am a player. Not a collector. And especially not a Bluez Lawyer.....

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
The Duncan Distortion is fairly versatile, it cleans up well enough. I don't use it for country or anything, but roll back the volume and you can do classic rock. It totally rips when wide open though (which I use it for 90% of the time). I also put the original neck pickup back in.

The last owner put in a custom DiMarzio set of an SD and a Super3 with a new wiring harness. Luckily, the OG pickups and hardware came with it, so I swapped them back in after finding out the pickups alone back then went for like $700. So I threw DiMarzios into my PRS McCarty (huge improvement for heavy stuff, that thing's a beast now) and the OG Gibson stuff where it belonged, but the bridge pickup was way too trebly/shrill. I had to re-EQ everything just to use the guitar, which is my favorite.

I was thinking about a JB, but I was worried it'd be too dark/muddy and I have a Black Winter in my RG450DX, and while I like it, its way too middy for an LP, I think. So I read up about the Distortion and was hesitant b/c in this guitar it's so associated with Adam Jones. I said screw it, took the risk and damn, I never looked back.

Last edited:

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
How's the neck on yours? Is it a slim profile or more on the chunky side?
It's definitely a medium's medium. I forgot to measure the depth when I was setting it up, but will definitely be confirming it. It's certainly not shreddy thin or baseball bat chunky--I'd guess mid .80's at the first to low .90's at the 12th fret
I said screw it, took the risk and damn, I never looked back.
I'm using less and less gain these days so I was worried about it being too hot. Definitely curious if it's wired wrong or weird so I'll have to open it up and trace the circuit to see what's really happening with that switch. REALLY loving what it's doing as-is though

I might go for grabbing a Dimarzio EJ Neck pickup and sort of overcorrect how dark and muddy the neck pickup is (and get that nickel cover out of there to try and mitigate some of the AJ connotations 😆). We'll see if that ever comes to fruition

I've already used this to record for 3 separate projects and they're all fawning over it saying that it's one of the best sounding les paul bridge pickups they've heard. Getting tons of mileage out of it so far