NGD: The most ss.org guitar I own edition

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I finally did it - I bought a Used Prestige(tm).

1716949016253.jpeg

I'm on a work trip and took a detour while I was out of town anyway to grab this RGD3127, one I was mentioning in the vs. thread. It was either this or a 2127z, and the rad orange colour won out.

You can google the specs, I'm too lazy to list em. When I got it, it had thicker strings than I use, and the bridge was all out of whack, so I restrung and re-leveled the trem. He had the top of the trem flat against the body, but I'm pretty sure these are flat on the bottom, and angled on the top, so I lined it up with what looks like the pressed-in knife edge thingies on the sides. Strung up with plain ol' EXL-110-7, in standard B. It's a little more tense than the shorter scale S7420 I'm used to, but nothing crazy.

I had been hoping for things to feel a bit like my S, but just "better" in whatever way that would mean, since they're both 7s, both "wizard" necks of some variety, both have at least some bevels / cuts compared to an RG, etc. First impression is they're more dissimilar than similar, but still familiar enough Ibby territory that I doubt I'd have trouble getting used to it. The neck is a little chunkier, which is a very mild disappointment. The neck on my S is suuuuper comfortable, and this is maybe 90% of the way there. This thing is pretty heavy, and the neck feels insanely solid. After being strung up and a tiny bit of stretching, the trem is probably the most stable trem I've tried so far. Between the bridge and how rigid the neck is, It feels like it could live through a tornado and come out the other side still in tune.

I haven't had time to try the pickups yet, so no idea what the Lundgrens sound like. I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time with it next week when I'm back home, but for now it's keeping me entertained at the hotel between work things.

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the clip-on strap. It kinda matches aesthetically, but it gets in the way of the case closing cleanly if you're not careful, and I find it a bit akward to clip on from standing after you've already taken it from the case.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely love RGDs, and that color is sick, Roadster Orange Metallic Flat. Congrats and enjoy!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man! That color is KILLER.
I hear you on the cliplocks though. I had them on my PIA for a while, but eventually removed them once I got tired of awkward bits hanging from my guitar and making it difficult to put back in its case.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
If I could get along with Ibanez necks, I'd probably have like 20 of them :lol:

Congrats! Used Ibanez Prestiges are the undisputed king of bang-for-buck.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Great finish, hopefully you like it more over time!

I never see RGD’s in person but I’d give it a spin if I did.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome, welcome to the orange rgd club. I agree with everything you said, surprisingly heavy, and surprisingly chunky neck. I still find it super comfy though.

Reaction score
That's a nice one.

The 26.5" scale length is a big enough difference for you to feel if you're used to 25.5". The LoPro Edge trem is probably the King of floating trems and the 24 frets may as well give you some "whats happening here?" feel if your S7420 is 22 frets. Having this said practice makes perfect, so have fun with it.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Killer!!!
Let us know how you like the Lundgren's.

Yeah, I have a set of Dimarzio clip-locks on a used Jackson USA Juggernaut 7 I purchased last year and while they work really well, I can't stand the 'hangy bits' either. Eventually I'll swap them out for your more traditional strap locks (Schaller or Dunlop).

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Nice catch!

I've got an RGD2127z and a RGDR3127s (neon purple Axe Palace version). The neck on the 3127 is just a tad chunkier than the one on my 2127z. The Lo-Pro bridge is always epic, although I had no problems with the Edge Zero on the 2127. The only other appreciable difference is the pickup routes. I went Duncan Nazgul on the 2127, but still have the Dimarzio Edges on the 3127.

The standard 10-59 strings always felt a bit light to me at A, while 11-64s were way too heavy at that tuning. I settled on tuning my RGDs both to Bb with NYXL 1059 strings for just the right amount of tension & thickness for my playing.

')